aberdeen-music

Emo.. Just what is it?

Benji

I've been trying to figure out what the hell EMO is.. I really don't understand it.

Is it:

Reasonably privelleged depressed kids..

Is it a statement..

Is it a clan war against something else..

Is it just cliche, and depression is in this season..

Whatever the hell it is really bugs me for some reason, especially when you hear cunts moaning about getting beat up (Emo-Bashing).

My position on EMO is Hate.

Traditionally it was a style of hardcore that swelled musically, and was supposdely so emotionally in touch with the band and audience that people would break into tears.

I'm sure someone will post a very in dept explanation, but safe to say it started as a sub-genre, not a 'movement' in itself.

Traditionally it was a style of hardcore that swelled musically, and was supposdely so emotionally in touch with the band and audience that people would break into tears.

I'm sure someone will post a very in dept explanation, but safe to say it started as a sub-genre, not a 'movement' in itself.

So in other words, it's namby-pamby, give-it-a-label, shrink-wrapped bollocks?

Well, now it is.

To start with it was very DIY actually. Obviously people realised that the general look of the genre was very marketable.

Sadly, that happens with most things whenever the marketing vultures get their sweaty mitts on it. Punk is the prime example of that.

I'm far from being an expert on this, buuut...

www.fourfa.com

I know that link gets posted every other day on here but I think it's a good site. If nothing else it has links to some great tunes that don't sound like My Chemical Romance.

I always wish this stuff was easier to get hold of, both music and info, cause I like a lot of what I think of as "emo", and I never feel like I know as much as I want to about it.

I've been trying to figure out what the hell EMO is.. I really don't understand it.

Is it:

Reasonably privelleged depressed kids..

Is it a statement..

Is it a clan war against something else..

Is it just cliche, and depression is in this season..

Whatever the hell it is really bugs me for some reason, especially when you hear cunts moaning about getting beat up (Emo-Bashing).

My position on EMO is Hate.

emo covers a lot of genres tho. its like pop these days. i.e. not what it used to mean.

taking back sunday. avenged sevenfold. thrice. all "emo"

and who says they are all depressed. im no fan of these bands and others like them mind.

but your just being petty and narrow minded.

too cool for school maybe? get over yourself

well, it certainly isn't any of this Panic! shite, or FFAF, Lostprophets and MCR screaming shite.

Some Emo bands (imo) are : - Gratitude, Dashboard Confessional, Far, Jimmy Eat World, Rival Schools, Jack's Mannequin and THE GET UP KIDS. all of those bands rule. much better than the screaming crap some people listen to these days.

well, it certainly isn't any of this Panic! shite, or FFAF, Lostprophets and MCR screaming shite.

Some Emo bands (imo) are : - Gratitude, Dashboard Confessional, Far, Jimmy Eat World, Rival Schools, Jack's Mannequin and THE GET UP KIDS. all of those bands rule. much better than the screaming crap some people listen to these days.

*Hangs head* apart from The Get Up Kids and early JEW (and even that's modernising emo) all of those bands are 'indie'.

Never said a thing..

Everyone's got a few differant opinions on the matter, although someone (could be you infact) gave me the story of the traditional emotion music, split into a few differant scenes and the Emo I know is one of them..

Don't get me wrong.. I don't mind it I guess, as it really aint my buisness, but I'm trying to understand the reasons behind it all.. the hairstyles/attitudes/bands/ ya know.. the general crack with these people who think depression is a fashion!

There's a difference between Emo with a capital E and 'emo' - short-for-emotional.

Never said a thing..

Everyone's got a few differant opinions on the matter, although someone (could be you infact) gave me the story of the traditional emotion music, split into a few differant scenes and the Emo I know is one of them..

Don't get me wrong.. I don't mind it I guess, as it really aint my buisness, but I'm trying to understand the reasons behind it all.. the hairstyles/attitudes/bands/ ya know.. the general crack with these people who think depression is a fashion!

It's all marketing.

It's all explained in Josie and the Pussycats (seriously).

Guest Tam o' Shantie

emo is a bit like a screaming toddler. if you leave it alone when it throws a tantrum, it learns that attention-seeking gets it nowhere in life. but if you spoil it and give it attention, it grows up and makes threads like this one.