aberdeen-music

thefunniestflyerintheworld.

Edgar Graham

Guest inc18457

of course, discussion is totally valid.

it's just your school-teacher-esque matter-of-fact-ness is so boring. i rarely read your textbook/google quotation because often it's not really very related to the actual topic. if for example i was worried about what the taxman was to think about it, i'd research it myself.

that's all.

I just feel that although CYO are putting on these gigs. The quality and style of the bands is always the same. They may as well just tape a show and sell a dvd. I mean the same people seem to go to every CYO gig, it never seems to be driferent styles of bands. Just always metal/hardcore.

Might just be my personal opinion of coarse.

This thread is pathetic.

Why do so many people quite a few years younger than me sound like bitter twisted irrelevant old men that talk in the "in my day..." stance!

I'm not being my usual confrontational self here but I have to make a few points here.

Tom, Ten Easy Wishes had no problem playing to packed houses when playing with Quik and Point of Origin a few years ago. Remember when boring, stayed people on here would have a go because that was "the scene" back then? There is room for everything now which is awesome. I couldnt make the Quik/Crashdown/PMX show the other week because of family commitments BUT Dan went along and I was pleased to hear it was pretty busy, over 100 people anyway.

There are bands who will always die off with movements etc but some bands are good enough to keep going and transcend these things. I'm sick fed up of reading all the usual suspects who just because they dont like a certain type of music or because it is where most of the "kids" go nowadays that it has no relevance.

Also in my opinion Blood Brothers are absolutely AWFUL!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Tom, Ten Easy Wishes had no problem playing to packed houses when playing with Quik and Point of Origin a few years ago. Remember when boring, stayed people on here would have a go because that was "the scene" back then?

I remember packing out the original Drakes with Quik and Liber8, but we didn't play a lot of gigs with POO and Quik to be honest. Scenesters were a major irritation to me back then too, but at least they went to all sorts of punk/metal/ska/rock'n'roll or whatever gigs at Lava. Scenesterism is always annoying, but I definately prefer the idea of the same crowd going to every gig at Lava to see all sorts of rock acts than the same crowd watching 4, in my eyes, virtually identical metalcore bands and having no interest in anything else in terms of local music. I also do not like to be lectured by some spotty teenagers (running a 'promotions company' making big bucks out of what I personally deem a fad) on what constututes being a music lover, especially when their make-or-break definition is whether or not I attend their metalcore gigs.

if there had been the internet back in the day, there would have been similar threads about the glut of punk bands in the 70s, then the abundance of glam metal in the 80s, indie in the 90s, psychedelia in the late 60s, fucking ragtime in the 30s. why does it matter what music other people put on? i agree with maxi here for a change - people can put on, play and support whatever type of music they like. if you guys are al the biggest music fans about, you'd be at the CYM gigs too, but you don't go because you don't like the music. maybe those 'kids' are the same with the portugese turbogrind or venezuelan 16 bass player screamo-wand bands you put on/go to watch. what is the use in getting yourself bent out of shape about it?

and greetin' about the promoters not filling in their tax returns?! really guys, you can manage better than that.

/x

I remember packing out the original Drakes with Quik and Liber8, but we didn't play a lot of gigs with POO and Quik to be honest. Scenesters were a major irritation to me back then too, but at least they went to all sorts of punk/metal/ska/rock'n'roll or whatever gigs at Lava. Scenesterism is always annoying, but I definately prefer the idea of the same crowd going to every gig at Lava to see all sorts of rock acts than the same crowd watching 4, in my eyes, virtually identical metalcore bands and having no interest in anything else in terms of local music. I also do not like to be lectured by some spotty teenagers (running a 'promotions company' making big bucks out of what I personally deem a fad) on what constututes being a music lover, especially when their make-or-break definition is whether or not I attend their metalcore gigs.

Who are these 4, in your eyes, virtually identical bands?

You are being ignorant. You're no different to the guy that didnt want to go see ten easy wishes play with the queers because they sound identical. Now you and me know our stuff so we know the differences. Maybe to you modern metal and hardcore bands sound alike but you're hugely mistaken. Again, it's just Ignorance. Let's take some local examples. There is virtually no similarity between MMW, CTS and WSBB. MMW put a modern spin on thrash and death metal with prog metal touches. CTS come from the more post Hardcore played with a Metal sound and WSBB come from the Grind/Tech school. Now all this to you might sound like bollocks but the same could be said when you hear people trying to explain to the person who doesnt understand the difference between pop punk, surf punk, skate punk blah blah. If you're into the music you know the differences.

You really need to read your posts and think a bit more...

Oh and saying that scenesters were an irritation to you "back then" when you were 15, 16, 17 at the most is a bit rubbish. How does one so young let themselves get so jaded?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

There are bands who will always die off with movements etc but some bands are good enough to keep going and transcend these things. I'm sick fed up of reading all the usual suspects who just because they dont like a certain type of music or because it is where most of the "kids" go nowadays that it has no relevance.

Also, can I clarify that I am not putting down 'that kind of music' by its definition, it is the attitude of people who cannot get over it that pisses me off. Obviously there are always going to be styles of music that are fashionable and as you say, the best bands of the bunch will still be around after the fads pass. My gripe is that when in the past people would get excited about certain styles coming into prominence, most of today's scenesters seem to have no scope for anything outside of the box.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Who are these 4, in your eyes, virtually identical bands?

You are being ignorant. You're no different to the guy that didnt want to go see ten easy wishes play with the queers because they sound identical. Now you and me know our stuff so we know the differences. Maybe to you modern metal and hardcore bands sound alike but you're hugely mistaken. Again, it's just Ignorance. Let's take some local examples. There is virtually no similarity between MMW, CTS and WSBB. MMW put a modern spin on thrash and death metal with prog metal touches. CTS come from the more post Hardcore played with a Metal sound and WSBB come from the Grind/Tech school. Now all this to you might sound like bollocks but the same could be said when you hear people trying to explain to the person who doesnt understand the difference between pop punk, surf punk, skate punk blah blah. If you're into the music you know the differences.

You really need to read your posts and think a bit more...

Oh and saying that scenesters were an irritation to you "back then" when you were 15, 16, 17 at the most is a bit rubbish. How does one so young let themselves get so jaded?

Some fair points and I guess my identical remark is useless without citing bands, and considering that I would rather listen to Converge, Dying Fetus, Dillinger (like I was back when I was 16 when all this music existed but people would look at me in disbelief that I actually enjoyed it) than pay any serious attention to the thousands of bands ripping them off at the moment (and in most cases I've heard, doing a terrible job of it) I can't be any more specific than I have been. All I'm saying is that it's completely typical for a gig to follow the following format...

Headliner: Metalcore/Thrash/Death/Math band from down south with big following

Support 1: Local Metalcore/Thrash/Death/Math band

Support 2: Local Metalcore/Thrash/Death/Math band

All of the above band members will be wearing black Tshirts with old school metal band logos on them, and will have tight jeans with converse and Emo haircuts. I really think I am correct here, and have seen many flyers or gig ads that follow this syntax. Why do none of these bands play with other kinds of bands? What are the crowd so afraid of? Psycho A Go-Go, My Decaying Leg, Liber8, Contra, Masamune, Quik...all these bands built up a big following back in the day and generated interest locally, all playing completely different stuff, were always able to play with different bands, local and national and people could check out all sorts of styles. If scenesters wanted to ignore the bands that weren't cool enough then that was pretty shitty, but nowadays the masses only want one thing...so what's changed? And yes, it irritated me as a 16 year old...what's so weird about that? :help:

Some fair points and I guess my identical remark is useless without citing bands, and considering that I would rather listen to Converge, Dying Fetus, Dillinger (like I was back when I was 16 when all this music existed but people would look at me in disbelief that I actually enjoyed it) than pay any serious attention to the thousands of bands ripping them off at the moment (and in most cases I've heard, doing a terrible job of it) I can't be any more specific than I have been. All I'm saying is that it's completely typical for a gig to follow the following format...

Headliner: Metalcore/Thrash/Death/Math band from down south with big following

Support 1: Local Metalcore/Thrash/Death/Math band

Support 2: Local Metalcore/Thrash/Death/Math band

All of the above band members will be wearing black Tshirts with old school metal band logos on them, and will have tight jeans with converse and Emo haircuts. I really think I am correct here, and have seen many flyers or gig ads that follow this syntax. Why do none of these bands play with other kinds of bands? What are the crowd so afraid of? Psycho A Go-Go, My Decaying Leg, Liber8, Contra, Masamune, Quik...all these bands built up a big following back in the day and generated interest locally, all playing completely different stuff, were always able to play with different bands, local and national and people could check out all sorts of styles. If scenesters wanted to ignore the bands that weren't cool enough then that was pretty shitty, but nowadays the masses only want one thing...so what's changed? And yes, it irritated me as a 16 year old...what's so weird about that? :help:

I guess it is somewhat more small minded nowadays in terms of what people go to see. I cant really make my own points any clearer than what I have already though.

Guest inc18457
Or maybe those promoters only offer gigs to those bands and no other band.

...because the promoter knows his audience and knows that a ska punk band are going to go down as well as a fart in a lift.

Guest inc18457

...a promoter can only book what the people want to hear, to a certain extent.

of course then there are shit promoters who put death metal bands on with artic monkeys tribute bands and the like, which is a complete waste of time for all involved. i get the diversity thing you're after tom, but it really doesn't help anyone (including the promoter's quest to line their pockets) to mix things too radically.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
...a promoter can only book what the people want to hear, to a certain extent.

of course then there are shit promoters who put death metal bands on with artic monkeys tribute bands and the like, which is a complete waste of time for all involved. i get the diversity thing you're after tom, but it really doesn't help anyone (including the promoter's quest to line their pockets) to mix things too radically.

Hell no, but hardcore, hardcore punk, even noisy art rock/indie stuff like Reasons Are Red or Fickle Public would surely blend well with metal/metalcore etc and keep things interesting, attract more people and encourage scenesters to check out other stuff...then you can pair the bands mentioned with rock'n'roll/indie/pop/folk bands as well...it takes a bit of thought to put together a lineup that makes a vague bit of sense while keeping things fresh and different, but ultimately it should be much more rewarding to the promoter, the audience, the bands and any other ahem, 'music lovers'. This is what I would like to see more of, and this is ultimately what I'm getting at.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
What the flying fuck is "Hair Metalcore?"

Just an annoying genre that I coined in 2 seconds to refer to any form of metal that doesn't feature dudes with long hair and metallica Tshirts

I'm not sure what the problem is, surely if someone's putting on a gig and trying to get an audience to go see the headliner it makes sense to put on bands in the similar genre because you know that the chance are that the crowd coming along to see one band will enjoy another, as a promoter you're giving the punters a line up they're likely to like, part of a promoters job surely. People seem to forget on here that music is entertainment, and if they are entertained by that line up and that genre, its up to them if they choose to branch out into other genres, but going to a gig doesnt mean you have to have an interest in all music forms. If these gigs are doing well and people are enjoying them then they're doing their job, simple as that, theres a huge amount of musical snobbery on here, let's just let people enjoy what they enjoy and some of them will branch out into different things, some wont but it just seems to me its a promoter giving the general punters a genre and a type of music he thinks they'll like, simple as that.

Cheers

Stuart

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure what the problem is, surely if someone's putting on a gig and trying to get an audience to go see the headliner it makes sense to put on bands in the similar genre because you know that the chance are that the crowd coming along to see one band will enjoy another, as a promoter you're giving the punters a line up they're likely to like, part of a promoters job surely. People seem to forget on here that music is entertainment, and if they are entertained by that line up and that genre, its up to them if they choose to branch out into other genres, but going to a gig doesnt mean you have to have an interest in all music forms. If these gigs are doing well and people are enjoying them then they're doing their job, simple as that, theres a huge amount of musical snobbery on here, let's just let people enjoy what they enjoy and some of them will branch out into different things, some wont but it just seems to me its a promoter giving the general punters a genre and a type of music he thinks they'll like, simple as that.

Cheers

Stuart

Can't mess with that!

Cheers

Stuart

well said.

• 2 weeks later...