aberdeen-music

Giving Musicians a Voice

jae

So to have a .ie domain, to me, seems like lunacy. From a casual point of view, wouldn't Myspace be rather ridiculous with a .us domain? Anything operating out of more than one country really should be aiming for an international domain rather than a national one - but maybe I'm just picky.

That is one of the dumbest things you've come out with so far, what is it with you and this constant clutching at straws looking for things, no matter how tenuously relevant, to have a contrary argument for the sake of it? Expert in web project development now are you?

Who gives a shit what domain extension any setup uses, it's content and delivery that matters.

Who gives a shit what domain extension any setup uses, it's content and delivery that matters.

Getting the content delivered might be a bit hard if you put people off with the .ie domain before you've even started.

Anyway, if extensions didn't matter, why do the SDLP and Sinn Fein use .ie while the DUP and UUP use .uk, hmm?

For the love of God, shut up.

Come on, it's a relevant question. All I want to know is what their average take from gigs is - would it be really a great deal for bands if all they were getting a lousy website review, a vague promise of a gig in another city and maybe a cd review while the organisers were getting their pockets filled off the back of the gig?

Getting the content delivered might be a bit hard if you put people off with the .ie domain before you've even started.

it didn't put me off one bit. It made me think

"oh they have .ie so they must be an irish based promotion company."

Not to sound like a dick but i think that's what others interpreted it as aswell, except you of course.

For the love of God, shut up.

I second, third and fourth that. Let the bands figure out for themselves and stop potentially putting people off having anything to do with the North East. It's hard enough at the best of times to draw interest up here. There are enough cynical gumps that offer nothing but negativity... Is that not what some other threads and posts are trying to push against?

I know your heart is probably in the right place but your mouth/fingers don't half run off on one. Anyway, if the promoter gives 100% of the door to the bands how the hell are they supposed to stay in business?! That would be pointless and self destructive and benefit no one at all. There is a gulf of a difference between the 'pay to play' promoters and those that organise events, pay the bands as much as they can, take a fee for themselves for their time and re-invest any profit back into other events...

I know your heart is probably in the right place but your mouth/fingers don't half run off on one. Anyway, if the promoter gives 100% of the door to the bands how the hell are they supposed to stay in business?! That would be pointless and self destructive and benefit no one at all. There is a gulf of a difference between the 'pay to play' promoters and those that organise events, pay the bands as much as they can, take a fee for themselves for their time and re-invest any profit back into other events...

Ahh, I was just curious as to how much of a fee they took for themselves. They seem to be rather coy on the subject, which is curious...

But yes, thank god someone's openly saying that it's okay to do what you're saying.

Anyway, if extensions didn't matter, why do the SDLP and Sinn Fein use .ie while the DUP and UUP use .uk, hmm?

Why do thousands of successful companies use .co.uk? It's a fucking domain name, not the end of the world.

Christ i just started reading this and anyone would think that Cloud was a modern day incarnation of Torquemada o_O

We most definately need people who are willing to take steps to create links between Aberdeen and other areas of the UK and Ireland. Even if it is only on a fairly basic level no harm can come of a scheme like this. I really think there is no malicious intent from Drop-D and they seem (at least they come across) like an ambitious promotions collective that wants to step out of the confines of only doing 'local' shows and create a network of places where bands can make in-roads into other scenes.

Good luck guys, we aren't all dour cunts in this neck of the woods. I hope you do manage to get something set up in Aberdeen, i know plenty of bands who would relish the chance of playing in Ireland and i'm sure many Irish bands would like a shot at some Scottish venues (of which we have some very nice ones in Aberdeen).

Hey People,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I also learned something about Toms de Torquemada, nice one!!

CLOUD, I really think I have told you all I can. If you really want to know what we get out of the gigs is the promotion for ourselves, the site which we are running quite well given our capacity. Up to this month all our gigs in Cork were free and we paid all expenses (we still do). Like I said I enjoy the buzz of organising a live event and seeing it do well. The bands love it as far as I know and lots are in touch with us for such gigs. We even have some press turning up on occasions (I also spotted some industry people at a fe), and the fact that a few bands got better gigs out of ours is something i'm proud of.

If you want Cloud then have a look at our site and check out a few bands that played and see that they think of us and the gigs we run, thats as fair as it gets really I think. I'm not going to talk about the domain, it was the only one available, maybe we could do something different here, you mentioned politics and thats me done on that one.

I enjoyed the interest from the rest of you and thanks. Have a look for the post on the new edition and we would welcome any feedback. if anyone is interested in coming on board then please read the original post again and be in touch.

Cheers.

Hi Guys,

I'm Rob and part of the Drop-D Clan, maybe i can answer some concerns.

The reason i picked a .ie account is ONLY Irish registered companies (of which we are.. with accounts and contact info publically available), recognised individuals or bodies corporate are authorised to use them and all applications need to go thru the CRO and IEDR making it super secure and it says that we are in fact legit to sponsors and musicians etc... (any joe soap can have a .com or .co.uk) the security is one of the best worldwide.

Regarding the management fee's cuts what ever you call it, this is dependant on the regional groups, obviously overheads differ depending on location, we pump in a lot for these events that is for sure.

One thing common to all regions is that bands NEVER contribute to anything ever... neither do they have to sign any agreement with us in any form, I can also say that usually (with a few exceptions) bands do not earn anything from our events.

That said we have a huge waiting list for gigs and a even bigger list of people happy with us! What we give back is all tangible experience, network contacts and exposure, if a band cannot see that as a value stream and is only after the cash then they probably do not have a great future and we probably do not want them at our gigs.

Again noone is forcing anybody to do anything they dont want, but maybe dundee may appreciate us more ;)

Bottom line cloud or anyone else, if you dont like the sound so far dont apply, you'll be happier and we wont miss ye ;)

Anyone else... lets get it started :)

Actually cloud i'll make a bet with you....

If we do run a gig here, and if we cannot get any quality bands to play for free, i'll pay all 3 bands 25% of the door and give you the remaining 25%, but if we do get a full house happy to not take a cut you get your ass up on stage and apologise ;) You game!!