aberdeen-music

Giving Musicians a Voice

jae

Hey people,

Drop-d.ie is currently in the process of creating a global Independent Music Media Service (well in Ireland we have teams in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Belfast, with Texas and Cardiff coming soon). We are currently setting set up teams so if anybody wants to promote/review/interview acts their local music scene then contact us now. We also run our own Drop-d party nights where we give bands the opportunity to show off their talents. If a band gets a good reaction then we allow the band to play a Drop-d party in another city so its all-good. We want to start our Scottish teams soon!!!

Jason Golden

Chief Editor

www.drop-d.ie

Giving Musicians a Voice

DROP-D.IE ARE CURRENTLY ACTIVELY LOOKING FOR AND RECRUITING STAFF. THE POSITIONS THAT ARE AVAILABLE ARE:

JOURNALIST

EVENT CO-ORDINATORS

CARTOONIST

THESE POSITIONS WILL BE SOUGHT WORLDWIDE.

These positions will be part time positions where you create your own openings and benefits from the time and commitment given on your part. Drop-d.ie are looking for self-motivated people who want to promote themselves as well as the company.

Drop-d.ie seeks people who are creative and imaginative and can work well on their own or in a team. Some of this work may well be ideal for students who wish to develop case studies or portfolios or who are just looking for experience.

For more information e-mail info@drop-d.ie, jason@drop-d.ie, mark@drop-d.ie, or leave an e-mail through the myspace website.

Drop-d.ie are still devoted to music and music lovers and we will strive to make good music known to as many as possible.

Sounds like a good idea, I take it that it is working well if you are wanting to expand! So can you explain more about how the drop-d franchise would be set up in Aberdeen, how does it fit with other promoters in the City, how often would you have gigs put on etc. Might it be worth being associated with an established promoter(s) so that both you and they can benefit from each other's networks?

well we tried teaming up with other promoters when we set up in belfast but the benefits were limited so i'm not too sure if we would want to take that route...you never know though. it depends on how other promotion co's would want to be involved.

The way we forsee a scottish branch of drop-d kinda goes like this...

Firstly, we would start promoting local scottish acts through interviews/gig reviews/etc...published here at drop-d.ie. we aim to start teams (4/6 people) in Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinborough. Once the teams are in place and contributing articles then we set up a drop-d scotland website...(i'm not good on the technical side of things but we have people to take care of that side of things). This offers grass roots support to local acts which in turn leads to Drop-d gigs. These are how we showcase the acts we want to help. Surprisingly gigs are pretty easy to run. Some venues will pretty much charge nothing if you can promise a nice crowd(just have to pay the sound engineer).... We get sponsorship here in ireland from four star pizza and they supply free pizza for our gigs. We also get free gig tickets and cds to give away as prizes. And so on.... You get what i'm sayin. They go down really well. Bands always want to play because we are seen as independant music lovers and not an industry driven hype machine. Then there is the added bonus of giving bands the opportunity to play a drop-d gig in another city...

My point is, anyway, it works and this is why we want to expand.

So if anyone is interested feel free to email me at jason@drop-d.ie or come visit the site and see what you think www.drop-d.ie

And how is the enterprise funded?

You seem to stress how you give bands a gig in another city....and some other comments you make would lead me to believe that the bands dont get paid...is that the case?

Do you pay the Journalists/cartoonists etc etc...?

G...

And how is the enterprise funded?

You seem to stress how you give bands a gig in another city....and some other comments you make would lead me to believe that the bands dont get paid...is that the case?

Do you pay the Journalists/cartoonists etc etc...?

G...

the phrasing is very similar to emergenza hype isn't it? i'm waiting for bombshell that bands pay a 'registration fee' before their first gig or something like that.

it sounds like a good idea, so long as it's not an emergenza type pay to play scam designed to rob ambitious bands of their hard earned cash.

It does sound good.

Jae, will you or a drop-d rep be coming over to do a little networking in your new target cities?

It might be an idea as we all know that every city has a slightly different way of working the band scene. I think you would be pleasantly surprised with Aberdeen, there are a lot of people working independently and there are plenty of venues that are very supportive to musicians.

I like the idea of sponsorship for events and prizes as it may tempt more people to watch and listen to live music instead of cramming into a shite nightclub. Playing in other Cities in a kind of circuit is a cool idea as well.

the phrasing is very similar to emergenza hype isn't it? i'm waiting for bombshell that bands pay a 'registration fee' before their first gig or something like that.

You never know, they might give away some free strings ;)

it sounds like a good idea, so long as it's not an emergenza type pay to play scam designed to rob ambitious bands of their hard earned cash.

Agreed, it sounds like a good idea (.ie domain is a bit dodgy, but ignoring that), but there's a lot of intangibles..I would be interested to know how the main people in Ireland could make sure that the people in each city don't end up ripping people off.

Agreed, it sounds like a good idea (.ie domain is a bit dodgy, but ignoring that), but there's a lot of intangibles..I would be interested to know how the main people in Ireland could make sure that the people in each city don't end up ripping people off.

why do you think the .ie domain is dodgy? they're based in ireland, it's just the equivalent of .co.uk right?

Hi there,

My name is Mark and I'm also involved with Drop-D.ie

Just to clarify things...

we have the .ie domain for a few reasons

the easiest one is that nothung else is available .com .co.uk and all that

We DO NOT charge bands a fee.

WE DO

- run gigs in a few cities to date, and have bands play in other cities where suitable.

- promote the gig ourselves and can guarantee big crowds

- cover all the costs of the gig as far as the promotion and venue and staff hire is involved

all we ask from the bands is a few cds so we can give them out as prizes as part of a prize pack (cds, gig tickets, etc.)

We try to then do a review of our gig night and do an interview with the bands when it suits.

A few of the bands have even got other (sometimes bigger) gigs after having played at a Drop-D night.

I think overall we are very fair and run successful nights.

Also I think we have a solid team who work really hard for the ezine and because of this we have a website that operates at a high standard.

As Jae said, we would like to have teams running across the globe after the success we've enjoyed here in Ireland and the prospect of this excites us very much.

We have received good responses to pretty much everything so far.

Good to see a few people interested and hope to get something going here soon. I have heard the music scene in Aberdeen is overflowing with talent so why not have a voice on it?

why do you think the .ie domain is dodgy? they're based in ireland, it's just the equivalent of .co.uk right?

Of course, I mean it's dodgy in the sense of this quote...

As Jae said, we would like to have teams running across the globe after the success we've enjoyed here in Ireland

So to have a .ie domain, to me, seems like lunacy. From a casual point of view, wouldn't Myspace be rather ridiculous with a .us domain? Anything operating out of more than one country really should be aiming for an international domain rather than a national one - but maybe I'm just picky.

To the people at Drop-D - what kind of cut from gigs are you talking? As good as your idea is, I have this nagging feeling that you're going to take a considerable cut from the gigs before paying the bands. Promoting all local line ups in Aberdeen (at the risk of sounding like Maxi) isn't risky at all - to be honest, it's a doddle to guarantee a big crowd with local bands in Aberdeen.

Do you also guarantee bands payment?

Thing is, they haven't answered how they're funded. Until they do, then I'm going to remain cynical about it.

to be quite honest i think you'll always remain cynical! :up:

And drop D, check out our myspace and keep us in mind for anything when you get started, you guys sound like you know what you're doing.

www.myspace.com/blackmatteraberdeen.