aberdeen-music

Publishing deals

Volta

Just wandering if any songwriters out there are pursuing some sort of publishing deal while based in Aberdeen? And if so, what sort of success have you had in pursuing a deal?

I'm told it is possible to do, even while based in the far reaches of the granite city but it works in the same sort of way as a record deal, in that you've got to get yourself out there, get heard, make a name for yourself etc. Any experiences in this area?

Haha! I know, it does sounds like I'm jumping the gun a bit.

On the other hand, I've been busy writing songs and crafting away for 5/6 years since I started playing guitar so got a nice supply of songs to be whoring about. Oops I meant promoting!

Maybe I should just focus on getting some gigs for now, hehe!

It'd probably be a good idea to work up a nice CV of commisioned work as well as songs. Sountracks, jingles and the like. Nice work if you can geddit like. Probably a way more secure means of maintaining a career in music than having a record deal anyway, it's certainlty something I'm considering doing more of, scoring a short film quite soon, looking forward to that.

In the annals of history I seem to remember the old incarnation of Lift signing a large publishing deal. Don't know if it did them any good in the end though as they never released much despite their early promise, and I guess for a publishing deal to make you any cash you have actually have something published.

Of course I could have just imagined the whole thing. My brother might remember, he liked Lift.

In the annals of history I seem to remember the old incarnation of Lift signing a large publishing deal. Don't know if it did them any good in the end though as they never released much despite their early promise, and I guess for a publishing deal to make you any cash you have actually have something published.

Of course I could have just imagined the whole thing. My brother might remember, he liked Lift.

heh, i do remember that. i'm sure a member of lift would be a better person to ask, i think some of them are in another band now so maybe they'll pop up in this thread. i think it works similarly to record deals. you get paid an advance on your projected sales and earnings and the publishing company hope to recoup that over the course of time by getting your songs on adverts, tv shows, compilations, soundtracks and covers.

might be worth contacting someone like the musicians union, i'm sure they could offer advice on such things.

i've also heard many a name band mention that publishing is the thing you should hold onto as that's where the money is if you make it as a band.

Publishing deal: Same sort of proccess as a record contract but with a different agenda.

Are you a songwriter wanting to have others perform your songs or are you a singer/songwriter? If the latter, securing a deal without record company interest will be difficult but isn't unheard of. It means that a publishing company believe that you will, in due course, have some label interest for releasing your material and are willing to take a chance and invest. It may even be a case of the publishing deal helping to secure a record deal. I believe Travis did it this way round.

If you are the aforementioned then the publishing company may actually be of use in promoting your music to the neccessary outlet, singer, tv company, ad agency etc. Either way you need to promote yourself and have a strong 'product' in the same way as any band or performer would.

Jim

Publishing deal: Same sort of proccess as a record contract but with a different agenda.

Are you a songwriter wanting to have others perform your songs or are you a singer/songwriter? If the latter, securing a deal without record company interest will be difficult but isn't unheard of. It means that a publishing company believe that you will, in due course, have some label interest for releasing your material and are willing to take a chance and invest. It may even be a case of the publishing deal helping to secure a record deal. I believe Travis did it this way round.

If you are the aforementioned then the publishing company may actually be of use in promoting your music to the neccessary outlet, singer, tv company, ad agency etc. Either way you need to promote yourself and have a strong 'product' in the same way as any band or performer would.

Jim

Jim, you should totally write articles relating to areas of the music industry that you have had experience in and post them in the articles forum. I'm sure it would help a lot of the bands in Aberdeen and would be a great source of info for people starting out in bands. Other people who's wealth of experience that would be worth exploiting on here would be Shaz and Maxi, both of them would do very interesting and informative articles on promotion, DIY, touring etc.

It would be nice to see Aberdeen Music reclaimed as a factual 'music' site orientated towards helping each other out rather than as a forum full of bitching and negativity.

Just my tuppence worth, i for one would be very interested in reading said articles if they were to see the light of day.

Jim, you should totally write articles relating to areas of the music industry that you have had experience in and post them in the articles forum. I'm sure it would help a lot of the bands in Aberdeen and would be a great source of info for people starting out in bands. Other people who's wealth of experience that would be worth exploiting on here would be Shaz and Maxi, both of them would do very interesting and informative articles on promotion, DIY, touring etc.

It would be nice to see Aberdeen Music reclaimed as a factual 'music' site orientated towards helping each other out rather than as a forum full of bitching and negativity.

Just my tuppence worth, i for one would be very interested in reading said articles if they were to see the light of day.

whatever happened to doing your own research? People like shaz and maxi get on because they just go out and do what needs to be done, the same goes for everyone else. If you spend a long time making your way, what incentive is there to divulge your hard-won knowledge for nothing? I like this part from an interview with Leeroy Thornhill of the prodigy in SOS mag:

Liam would get a bit of new equipment, like an MC303 or something, and say 'This thing's wicked,' so I'd get one. Then I'd come to him hoping he'd know how to work it, and try to prompt him, saying something like 'That MC303's great -- I can't wait to get my head round it.' But more often than not, he'd just say 'Well, once you know how to use it, let me know!'

whatever happened to doing your own research? People like shaz and maxi get on because they just go out and do what needs to be done, the same goes for everyone else. If you spend a long time making your way, what incentive is there to divulge your hard-won knowledge for nothing? I like this part from an interview with Leeroy Thornhill of the prodigy in SOS mag:

It never hurts to have a helping hand and some pointers. You yourself know quite a bit about certain areas of music and i've read several of the odd bits and pieces you've put up and finished reading them feeling as though i'd broadened my horizons a little. Knowledge is something that can be learned from both personal experience and through the experiences of others. And after all music wouldn't fulfill its purpose as a method of expression if it wasn't shared, be it through the music itself or the study of its many machinations.

Isaac Newton said "If I have seen further, it is it is by standing on the shoulders of giants".

If we all keep our knowledge to ourselves, especially knowledge which takes time to learn (experience) , then everyone will keep making the same mistakes, and everyones development gets slowed down. People will focus on the mundane but necessary rather than the creative.

I've been saying for years that Aberdeen lacks a professional knowledge base and infrastructure, so people start from scratch and do it the hard way. Now there is some people out there with knowledge, but you want them to keep it to themselves.

You're the first person to moan about the lack of expertise and originality in Aberdeen, so this seems like one of your many contradictions.

Isaac Newton said "If I have seen further, it is it is by standing on the shoulders of giants".

If we all keep our knowledge to ourselves, especially knowledge which takes time to learn (experience) , then everyone will keep making the same mistakes, and everyones development gets slowed down. People will focus on the mundane but necessary rather than the creative.

I've been saying for years that Aberdeen lacks a professional knowledge base and infrastructure, so people start from scratch and do it the hard way. Now there is some people out there with knowledge, but you want them to keep it to themselves.

You're the first person to moan about the lack of expertise and originality in Aberdeen, so this seems like one of your many contradictions.

There is nothing contradictory about this atall, people who are genuinely motivated will always find a way.

you've missed the point entirely.

To be honest, I don't think there is a point - society is built on sharing knowledge, so to adopt an isolationist view is very interesting/disturbing.

To get back to the original point though, it's a shame that the articles section isn't used more :(

To be honest, I don't think there is a point - society is built on sharing knowledge, so to adopt an isolationist view is very interesting/disturbing.

To get back to the original point though, it's a shame that the articles section isn't used more :(

Isolationist? O-kayyyyyy. As I said, you miss the point entirely: all this knowledge is already out there in the public domain, waiting to be found by anyone who actually makes the effort. It's as simple as that, draw the obvious conclusion.

Publishers.

Nice display of sarcasm, especially considering you then go on to say that people should share public knowledge. In a thread about publishing deals, I was just wondering if people knew of organisations especially applicable to bands/artists reading these pages. But well done, your reply really increased the knowledge base here.

whatever happened to doing your own research? People like shaz and maxi get on because they just go out and do what needs to be done, the same goes for everyone else. If you spend a long time making your way, what incentive is there to divulge your hard-won knowledge for nothing?

that's a fairly miserable outlook.

what about doing it out of the kindness of your heart? what made you write your articles for the articles section?

i see what you're saying and everything but i don't really get why you're saying it. everyone can do with some advice and a helping hand from time to time.

There are many pieces of literature written about the music industry: book guides, lists, how to's, names etc. Its all there for the taking and easy found by 'asking'.

Many thanks for the comments about writing articles and I would be delighted to if I had the time to be honest... Not sure how long any of the articles would be though:up:

What I will say here is that through my experience, first hand and through work, where I get to meet all sorts desiring (and making an effort) to start moving toward a career in their chosen field, be it art, music, literature dance etc, and from most thee most common statement is 'where do I start?' My reply is, often, you have by being here or asking the questions. Next step is asking the right people and by 'right people' I mean those that know (who have already asked, listened, learned and put into practice) and are always happy to share, which is more often than not, and if anyone doesn't want to share then they most likely aren't worth listening to.

I would reckon that nearly everyone on these boards, active in one aspect or another in the 'music industry', would happily help 'if and when they can'.

By the way.

My works web site is a huge resource and there are many many tools and info in there to be used and abused. We are currently working up our new page of Music FAQ's of which the answers are suppiled by experienced names from throughout the industry and will make for a great read. Everything we provide is free by the way! www.culturalenterpriseoffice.co.uk

Nice display of sarcasm, especially considering you then go on to say that people should share public knowledge. In a thread about publishing deals, I was just wondering if people knew of organisations especially applicable to bands/artists reading these pages. But well done, your reply really increased the knowledge base here.

I answered your question, which was "Anyone know which organisations provide publishing deals?".

Maybe you asked the wrong question.

I answered your question, which was "Anyone know which organisations provide publishing deals?".

Maybe you asked the wrong question.

Not really, I just posted it on the wrong forum, and then you wilfully misinterpreted a question. I thought people might want to list specific organisations that might be worth trying to approach, etc, I don't think you're so stupid as to not realise that was my intention.

It seems fairly par for the course with this forum nowadays that a thread which could be of assistance to some people descends instead to petty bickering about something which has little to do with the topic. Which was fine when it was the Wasteland, but the music discussion forum is increasingly becoming a waste of time (at least from my perspective), which is a shame.

Not really, I just posted it on the wrong forum, and then you wilfully misinterpreted a question. I thought people might want to list specific organisations that might be worth trying to approach, etc, I don't think you're so stupid as to not realise that was my intention.

If you could see past the sarcasm for a sec, you would have your answer.

Spelling it out, there are no other organisations apart from publishers that provide publishing deals.