aberdeen-music

What is emo?

Guest RomanChoke

Originally posted by KarmaTsunami:

Take for example, nu-metal. It was what you might call the 'old' emo...you had bands like korn, limp bizkit, deftones, linkin park etc..now whilst it's a scene that has faded with korn and limp bizkit's latest output being nothing but dire the Deftones have moved on, taking the nu-metal sound and laying it to waste on newer releases that set them apart from their 'genre-buddies'.

Deftones and nu-metal and Incubus and emo were the ones I was gonna mention. These scenes just seem to be random assortments of bands that magazines claim belong to a scene. It confuses the hell outta me. Then all the bands claim that they're not in fact that genre in very strong terms. Everyone hated being nu-metal and now bands hate being classified as emo. Confusing non?

To sum up I would say that since emocore was defined as emotional hardcore so shouldn't emo be just emotional music? Then anything that stirs feelings could be emo. So emo is by definition confusing.

Huzzah I have justified my confusion! :D Or not. Sorry for the rambling

Originally posted by StewCat

cant we all just listen to music and not put it under a genre?

In an ideal world yes. In this one it seems sadly not :(:O

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emo seems to be about a fashion as much as music. I dont really have any feelings for or against 'emo' music and bands. Most of the 'emo' bands on t.v and magazines conform to the dress code (tight black tee's, straightened hair, trucker hats, flesh tunnels...), and it kinda bothers me to see a large number of people follow this code, maybe it's because they want to belong or something or want to replicate a band members image so badly, who knows.....

Personally i dont think it's going to be around for too long (look at the short life of grunge/new meta and such), when was the last time you saw someone with pappa roach in their listening to? They were about for just a few years.....

Guest sludge

at the end of the day no one would change their music taste because of what some fuckers say. musics music eh? different tastes etc. you like what you like and thats it. and this whole following a trend thing? so what. its natural and everyone does it everyday in some shape or form without even knowing it. ever found yourself talking like your friends do?

I definitely wouldn't say that people don't change their music tastes because of what people say. I've had friends that've started telling me they like bands that they were dissing the month before when it seems the only thing that's changed is that some 'more popular' person that we know likes them :(

Originally posted by KarmaTsunami:

for every person who says 'i like emo music', there's another, if not ten more to say 'oh..emo..what a lot of balls'.

what i want to know is why people can't be into the music they're into without having it's integrity/validity questioned by someone who obviously must know so much more than them about the music business/industry. Sure it's a bit of a cash-cow just now, and the genre is being watered down with acts that sound exactly the same as the one before, but you can't apply that to the whole genre. Take for example, nu-metal. It was what you might call the 'old' emo...you had bands like korn, limp bizkit, deftones, linkin park etc..now whilst it's a scene that has faded with korn and limp bizkit's latest output being nothing but dire the Deftones have moved on, taking the nu-metal sound and laying it to waste on newer releases that set them apart from their 'genre-buddies'.

I'd say this post makes by far the most sense :)

Why can't you all just be happy listening to the music you like without bashing someone elses music taste just because what they like is mainstream. I used to (and for that matter, still do) rip the piss out of emo but only cos of it's connotations with poetry, scarves and such like that are actually kinda funny... More and more these days I find myself sticking up for emo - even though I don't even like any of the 'real' emo bands.

Also you have to remember that emo IS a fashion, in the sense that it has it's own identity regarding clothes etc. That's what happens, something becomes in fashion and it becomes more popular before dying out and letting something else take its place. With every trend comes a backlash and it's just up to people to be honest with themselves. If people genuinely enjoy listening to emo and dressing like 'an emokid' then let them. But it's those that do it just because it's popular that I don't really have any respect for...

Trends come and go, and emo is gonna be around as long as needs to be, before dying out. Pointless whining isn't going to change any of that.

I thought the original concept of "EMO" was the straight edge (near zealot like straight edgeness) faction of the US punk scene, kids who beat up other kids who drink, smoke etc...

now, just as punk is a bollox word meaning different things to different people, it actually means "nothing".

another lable, another pidgeon hole, another chance to belong to a group and feel "special", "individual" etc.

Guest pop-notmyface

emo is a load of rubbish that only exists in the minds of people who trash it.

mainstream isnt taking advantage of the "emo scene" as someone suggested, i turn on any music channel and, surprisingly, am not bombarded with a bunch of emo hopefulls.

having seen countless of "How-to-be-emo-picture-guides", i cant honestly say ive ever seen anyone like that in real life, apart from Stephen :p

emo isnt a trend, or a fashion statement, or something that suddenly rooted itself in the music scene. its not something that will die soon. dare i say it its evolution.

emo doesnt exist, so emo my ass.

Guest Scott 5FD
Originally posted by pop-notmyface:

emo isnt a trend, or a fashion statement, or something that suddenly rooted itself in the music scene. its not something that will die soon. dare i say it its evolution.

thats abit of a contradiction, is it not?

True, all you ever hear is emo kids denying being emo...

Emo is about musical evolution as much as Status Quo are.

ace. check me making some kind of sense.

emo is a fashion, as far as clothing goes i can see where you guys are coming from..but it's unfair to assume that everyone who listens to 'emo' music looks 'emo', that's like saying everyone into old-skool metal wears denim, leather and studs. and rides a motorbike. if it does become less popular then so be it, let the wheat be seperated from the chaf when it comes to sink or swim time like it did with nu-metal. the fact is that the originators of the genre and those in it who truly believe in the music will probably still be around whilst those who had a fanbase because it was fashionable fade away.

mainstream isnt taking advantage of the "emo scene" as someone suggested, i turn on any music channel and, surprisingly, am not bombarded with a bunch of emo hopefulls.

having seen countless of "How-to-be-emo-picture-guides", i cant honestly say ive ever seen anyone like that in real life, apart from Stephen :p

This is verging on the biggest load of shite I have ever read.

I know you are from Germany, which excuses you from having a sense of humour - however it doesn't excuse you from speaking drivel.

Guest pop-notmyface
Originally posted by Dan Atom:

This is verging on the biggest load of shite I have ever read.

I know you are from Germany, which excuses you from having a sense of humour - however it doesn't excuse you from speaking drivel.

1. i am funny.

2. i only speak if it has importance

i seriously doubt i speak drivel, unless "emo" came out of nowhere to haunt us...

1. i am funny.

2. i only speak if it has importance

i seriously doubt i speak drivel, unless "emo" came out of nowhere to haunt us...

Importance? I could go into a hundred threads and find the most irrelevant posts ever made by yourself.

As for being funny... you may want to look up its definition in the dictionary because you appear to have mistaken it for the word "rubbish"