aberdeen-music

Fat Hippy Records - Aberdeen's only real record label.

Birdman

Originally posted by stuartmaxwell:

they do seem to put out some "interesting" bands

??

absol fuckin lutely! i couldnt put it better myself, but im not criticising them for bein shit, no! just that i dont like thei styles!

but i dunno, i think its a bit sad and overrated but thats just me, can they claim that they are a record label yet?

Originally posted by Birdman:

Load of scrote if you ask me

Well exactly.

There are lots of other labels in this city that are just as "real", but I think the ad may just be a bitty tongue-in-cheek - wouldn't you agree? "Aberdeen's only real record label."

I mean, who gives a shit what's going on in Aberdeen?

Who gives a flying fuck.

Tom gives local acts a cheap and simple means of recording, producing and distributing their material around the UK. I'd say that's pretty fucking impressive, considering what has been done by others thus far.... i.e. diddly squat. The Karloff EP has been picked up by people all over the country via Fopp and the Unsigned Network (I have the emails still), I'd say that's "distribution". I'm really wondering why people have this "it's not a real record label" attitude. Let's face facts, it's not EMI or Sony, but it's better than nothing at all!

For us, Tom is a great guy and one of the few who will do anything to help you get your music out there, without any hidden agenda. We record the material we have, he gets it produced and on the shelves, and we make some money out of it. Isn't that what it's all about....?!

Originally posted by Rob Karloff:

For us, Tom is a great guy and one of the few who will do anything to help you get your music out there, without any hidden agenda. We record the material we have, he gets it produced and on the shelves, and we make some money out of it. Isn't that what it's all about....?!

Come on now, Rob, don't talk rubbish. Everyone knows that running a record label in Aberdeen is all about squandering large amounts of other people's cash, lying, using highly illegal business practices, being utterly ineffectual, not following through on commitments, and regularly getting your cock out in public. Since the people behind Fat Hippy haven't done any of these things, I think we can safely conclude that it isn't a real record label.

Who gives a flying fuck.

Tom gives local acts a cheap and simple means of recording, producing and distributing their material around the UK. I'd say that's pretty fucking impressive, considering what has been done by others thus far.... i.e. diddly squat. The Karloff EP has been picked up by people all over the country via Fopp and the Unsigned Network (I have the emails still), I'd say that's "distribution". I'm really wondering why people have this "it's not a real record label" attitude.

I don't know if the distribution thing was aimed at me (seeing as I'm the first one who mentioned it) but just in case - I was asking a question, not saying "i bet they don't even have distribution! hahahah! wankers".

I think people have the "it's not a real record label" attitude because Fat Hippy's tag line was "Aberdeen's only real record label," be it tongue in cheek or nae.

Calm down.

:cheers:

Re: Re: Re: Fat Hippy Records - Aberdeen's only real record label.

Originally posted by soundian:

Are there?

Was it not you that did the sound on Quik's "Here Comes the Fall" as released by Carjack?

Who gives a flying fuck.

Tom gives local acts a cheap and simple means of recording, producing and distributing their material around the UK. I'd say that's pretty fucking impressive, considering what has been done by others thus far.... i.e. diddly squat. The Karloff EP has been picked up by people all over the country via Fopp and the Unsigned Network (I have the emails still), I'd say that's "distribution". I'm really wondering why people have this "it's not a real record label" attitude. Let's face facts, it's not EMI or Sony, but it's better than nothing at all!

"Who gives a flying fuck" was my initial reaction too. One thing that does puzzle me is that when Fat Hippy started part of the concept was, I believe, to release CDs from different bands and to rarely, if indeed ever, release two things from one artist.

I think the concept was to re-invest whatever money came back into different bands all the time and to give everyone a chance.

But then came 2 F19 EPs and after Funktree and Karloff both having released EPs I now see they are doing albums too.

So that part of it seems to have fallen by the wayside a little.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fat Hippy Records - Aberdeen's only real record label.

Originally posted by Bob:

Was it not you that did the sound on Quik's "Here Comes the Fall" as released by Carjack?

"Who gives a flying fuck" was my initial reaction too. One thing that does puzzle me is that when Fat Hippy started part of the concept was, I believe, to release CDs from different bands and to rarely, if indeed ever, release two things from one artist.

I think the concept was to re-invest whatever money came back into different bands all the time and to give everyone a chance.

But then came 2 F19 EPs and after Funktree and Karloff both having released EPs I now see they are doing albums too.

It was the' lots' part I was wondering about.'Lots of other labels...'

Maybe these bands you mentioned have put enough money in the fat hippy coffers to justify a second release. Maybe they've made enough to fund a debut release by another band as well. Maybe the bands like the label and want to stay on it. Maybe inflexible business plans are a bad idea. Maybe these second releases will sell well and provide money for several bands, instead of just one or two.

If they'd stopped releasing stuff by new bands I would worry, until then it's still close to the original concept.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fat Hippy Records - Aberdeen's only real record label.

It was the' lots' part I was wondering about.'Lots of other labels...'

Carjack, Lithium, Tam O' Shantie even. DDGRecords looks like it may get its ass in gear very soon.

Maybe these bands you mentioned have put enough money in the fat hippy coffers to justify a second release. Maybe they've made enough to fund a debut release by another band as well. Maybe the bands like the label and want to stay on it. Maybe inflexible business plans are a bad idea. Maybe these second releases will sell well and provide money for several bands, instead of just one or two.

If they'd stopped releasing stuff by new bands I would worry, until then it's still close to the original concept.

Well maybe that's maybe the case.... maybe.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fat Hippy Records - Aberdeen's only real record label.

Carjack, Lithium, Tam O' Shantie even. DDGRecords looks like it may get its ass in gear very soon.

Well maybe that's maybe the case.... maybe.

I thought Lithium was defunct. Since DDGR hasn't got it's arse in gear that's two, not lot's. Although even the existence of one is enough to prove the claim wrong, which was your point I think.

Originally posted by Project S.A.M.:

Come on now, Rob, don't talk rubbish. Everyone knows that running a record label in Aberdeen is all about squandering large amounts of other people's cash, lying, using highly illegal business practices, being utterly ineffectual, not following through on commitments, and regularly getting your cock out in public. Since the people behind Fat Hippy haven't done any of these things, I think we can safely conclude that it isn't a real record label.

made me laugh... :)

sorry guys, didnt mean to get you all hot under the collar there!

like a few people have said, just emphisising how tounge and cheek they were with their label, and karloff, didnt mean to piss you off there either, havent heard your band yet so i cant claim that you are shit.

But anyways i still think it was a load of catshit, arent they a bit too overpriced as well?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fat Hippy Records - Aberdeen's only real record label.

I'd say they've definately released CDs from a wide range of bands. Tom is F19s manager, so they were always likely to be releasing more on FHR, Funktree is Paul's band, so ditto them. No doubt Radio Lucifer will have some material out under the banner at some point too! As for us, well, we want to do more and Tom is keen for that to happen. I guess part of this is due to our slow-burn sales record for the first EP (still up near the top of the sales figures), higher profile the last year and a half, and our increasing push to gig further afield and tour with larger acts. I'd like to think that if Tom is still making some cash of the sales of our EP, that it's going towards giving other less well known or active local acts the opportunity to record for very little cash.

I think your "mission" always has to be fluid and change as you need it to. I'm sure that Epitaph and Fat Wreck Chords never had any intention of doing half the stuff the have in recent years at the start, but their popularity and sucess has allowed them to grow in a largely good way. If Tom can achieve similar with FHR, then I think he's doing the local music scene and the bands who make it a great service. The other thing about Tom's approach is his flexibility. He just wants to help local bands step up and develop, whether that's through them utilising his rehersal facilities or recording on his label. Take Double Jack for an example. They recorded their CD at the Mill and only released it through FHR. So, a little dialog with Tom and I'm sure there isn't much he isn't up for supporting you in. Top bloke.

Yeah, i'm with Rob again. Black Atom are also doing our album with FHR, and as of yet, Tom has been nothing but fantastic in his approach to the whole thing.

Packaging wise, all releases look awesome, and there does seem to be a wide range of bands having material done on FHR: Amy Sawyers, Black Atom, Karloff, Flight 19, Electric Tibet, X-certs etc etc....