aberdeen-music

Fat Hippy Records - Aberdeen's only real record label.

Birdman

Originally posted by Sky:

I'd have to disagree with you there, though; with the exception of Driveblind and Electric Tibet's CD covers, they all look a bit amateurish, and the print qualitywhilst goodisn't fantastic. That said Kult Karloff's release seems to veer deliberately toward a kind of cut-and-paste cover ethic, and suits it.

What?!

All the artwork on the CD is Ash Ghoulmore original.... He spent days and days drawing, scanning, and then adjusting in Photoshop. No cut and pasting there, boyo!

You wanna see the amount of concept work and pre-design he's done for our next recording.

Guest Bob Double Jack
Originally posted by Sky:

I didn't intend to imply that it was anything other than original work. When I said cut-and-paste, I meant rather that it has a kind of low-tech schlock look, the outcome and overall effect of which is rather good. I haven't heard the band, but from what I can gather, the cover rather suits the music held within.

But I'm right about the rest of the releases...

Bollocks. Utter. Construct a sentence. I think all of them look professional and people have spent a lot of time on them. Between first and final drafts, we spent 2 months on the artwork for our release.Berk.

It all depends on taste. Art work should seek to appeal to the types of people who are most likely to enjoy/buy that style of music. I think thats the case with Karloff's jacket. Mission accomplished.

Guest Bob Double Jack
Originally posted by Bob:

It all depends on taste. Art work should seek to appeal to the types of people who are most likely to enjoy/buy that style of music. I think thats the case with Karloff's jacket. Mission accomplished.

Correct. What i meant to say, but mis-typed in a fit of rage!!!!:dunce:

"Between first and final drafts, we spent 2 months on the artwork for our release"

We have printouts of Bad Band Photos stuck on the fridge. The one on www.doublejack.co.uk will definitely make it, especially the one of gimp boy on the right (doesn't he look HAPPY?).

Another tip: delete any red-eye from your promo photos.

Sorry, but if you spent two months on that, your should sack whoever did it - and ask for a refund, and never let them near Photoshop again.

Please send hate mail to the usual address.

This is a pointless piece of info BUT

I saw Fatty Hippy business cards amongst the many zillion business cards that were at the SXSW music conference in Austin last week.

*shrugs*

dunno if that means anything.

Guest Bob Double Jack
Originally posted by cow tipper:

(i apologise for my rather harsh 'gimp boy' comment)

Hello Lester. How was the SXSW experience for you? It sounds a whole lot more fun than In The City...

Apology accepted from our bass player. Funnily enough, he does that in every promo shot. Red eye comment accepted. Still disagree about the artwork though

Why critisise a record label that's actually out there doing stuff for bands all over Scotland? It seems really pointless. Tom doesn't make any money from Fat Hippy and any time a release has made profit it's been put back into releasing more bands. When Tom started, it was as a means of getting bands out there and encouraging them to focus beyond Aberdeen and that's still the case. There are never contracts involved, Tom doesn't ask for copyright over bands' material like some bigger labels do, the bands get to record for free, and the label funds the pressing, printing and release of everything. We don't take money from bands and any money made is split equally with the bands. We currently are in talks with Fopp for nationwide distribution outwith the 'Unsigned Network' and all releases are available in record shops all over Scotland, thanks to Tom's willingness to drive all around and make sure shops have them. We released Boss Star from Dundee yesterday and are looking to move even further afield and sign bands from other cities, in Scotland initially.

To be honest, some bands may not be to everybody's taste but Tom and I consider bands who we like, and who we're enthusiastic about. It's never about who will sell the most. But it's such an Aberdonian attitude to find the negative in this, rather than applaud the fact that someone has actually gone out there and done it. We're perhaps not the only record label but I'd say we were certainly the most prolific. In just a year there have been 14 releases with many more planned for the summer. And on top of that, Tom has booked mini tours for every band releasing on Fat Hippy to spread the word about the bands and the label all over Scotland.

I don't think anyone can argue with that really. Anyone who helps to get unsigned music out there for largely selfless reasons deserves praise and support from the underground music community in general. If only there were more people willing to do the same!

OK, so you might not like every Fat Hippy release, and you might not like the artwork, but at the end of the day at least they're doing something productive to help bands and to introduce people to new music, rather than starting threads on the internet with such stimulating and constructive comments as 'load of scrote if you ask me'. Honestly, get some fresh air!

i think fat hippy stuff is the bomb. it's taken decent bands from aberdeen. given them a chance to record something worthwhile and made it available all over scotland. no band has lost out financially and every FH cd that's bought means the music buying public has another pair of eyes on what's happening in aberdeen. a lot of it has happened through friendship and association which will annoy people who haven't been initially involved, but as has already been said, speak to tom and tell him what you think and share your ideas and plans. he's the kind of person that will make the effort to help you at no financial benefit to himself, like AUBL have done with the atom and HMG. see how many other people would help you in the same way

and whether the CD's are each covered with a salvador dali original or a shitstained piece of toliet roll makes no difference to anyone apart from FH and the band involved. if you don't like it, no-one's forcign you to buy it.

spoons

X

Originally posted by Spoonie:

a lot of it has happened through friendship and association which will annoy people who haven't been initially involved

You mean, like the entire music business?

Guest Bob Double Jack

Some good points made constructively - I should maybe have elaborated on the 2 months thing. From inception of idea to final draft. Also fitting it into working full time, finishing off the recording, mixing it, learning to use Photoshop fully to a certain extent (this was my first big project on it), having a gigging schedule to stick to, and a social life also. That was the reason it took 2 months.

i did do other stuff as well!

I shall now be quiet on the whole matter.

Originally posted by soundian:

No, just the whinging motherfuckers.

I was referring to this:

"a lot of it has happened through friendship and association"

not this:

"which will annoy people who haven't been initially involved"

Strictly speaking, a "real" record label releases records with a barcode that allows sales to be calculated for the charts and has a distribution deal for nationwide release.

Since the huge increase in really good software products, allowing people with the appropriate skills to record and master tracks without ten tons of equipment, this definition has become blurred. This is a good thing as it's not all controlled by the majors anymore. As long as you have the appropriate deals with PRS and MCPS then I think you can call yourself a real record company.

• 2 weeks later...