aberdeen-music

Another Ascension song done...

Doc Ascension

Oh yeah, should have posted this for anyone interested about how it was recorded:

Equipment:

Presonus Firebox

SM57 (for guitars)

V67G (for vox)

Bass DI -> Firebox

Drums from DFH

Randall G3 Half Stack w/ Ibanez Tubescreamer for beef

Guitars:

Schecter 7 String and Ibanez RG1570L Prestige

Synths from Hypersonic

Recorded, mixed and mastered in Cubase... all done at my house with the aforementioned stuff...

what is DFH? is it like a drum machine?

- drums sound overly quiet in the mix, and too reverbed, though i suppose given the music that could be labelled a "production quality"

- guitars seem boomy at times, could maybe cut some middle or something. feels like i'm going through a wind tunnel rather than bracing a hail storm.

- i think i can hear bass guitar in there, but it's quiet and seemingly lacking any really grit and bottom end.

- vocals sound not bad, but could do with being cleaned up, need more "sheen" or something (i.e. some high end). i don't know what the V67G is - who makes it? did you use a pop shield when doing the vocals. in contrast to the rest of the instrumentation, the vocals could maybe use a tad of stereo delay or something to shake it about a bit, especially when the backing vocals come in.

some very technical guitar work, reminds me of wyld stallionz a lot, but that's only cos i don't listen to this kind of music.

better than your foyer demos by far, home recording definitely suits some kinds of bands a lot more than others.

DFH = Drums From Hell (midi triggered drum samples)

I really wanted to hit the snare with some verb, and use compression to give it a mighty whack - if you had heard a Hammerfall song you'd know what I mean (its a power metal thing really, I think it suits the mix).

The bass is in there, intended to be discrete but i might turn it up as the cymbals could also come up a bit..

V67G is by Marshall, a popular low ender (do a search for V67 - G is just the colour code) - and yep recorded with a pop shield!

Thanks for listening, is much appreciated.

i'm not huge on the lead vox either but the backing vox are pretty good and in all it's a decent song. i sounded like it was dragging a bit for a start and the drums were following instead of leading but as it speeds up that's less of a problem. as has been said, levels are slightly off in could do with a review but not too shabby!

/x

Ross, ive been in Ascension for about a year now :p lol.

im really happy with against the flame, i know a lot of people dont go for power metal vocals, but never mind :)

next we are doing " The time machine " ( i THINK ) wait till you hear that!!...we have some amazing ideas for that songs recording....