aberdeen-music

So is there ever going to be a Red Dwarf 9?

Lemonade

There was talk of the Red Dwarf film being a 'reboot' of the story- much like in the way the novels had similarities to but were narratively distinct from the TV programmes. Except the starting point of Lister's incarceration in Stasis was going to be significantly different from both. I can't remember the details- if you go to the forums on reddwarf.co.uk you might dig something up. There was an imdb entry, but this seems to have disappeared.

Seasons 7 and 8, while infinitely preferable to Hyperdrive, were pretty abismal. Even WITH Normal Lovett.

As has no doubt been said countless times before, it all fell apart when the Grant / Naylor partnership did. Rob Grant continued to write the series, but the last two seasons just seemed to have had the characteristic imaginative depth sucked out of them. Rob Grant and Doug Naylor both did their own separate novels that were supposed to follow on from the first two that they did together- Rob Grant's Last Human was okay, but Doug Naylor's Backwards still felt like classic Red Dwarf. Maybe if he were to work on the show again we might see a return to form. But it seems unlikely...

Rob Grant continued to write the series' date=' but the last two seasons just seemed to have had the characteristic imaginative depth sucked out of them. Rob Grant and Doug Naylor both did their own separate novels that were supposed to follow on from the first two that they did together- Rob Grant's Last Human was okay, but Doug Naylor's Backwards still felt like classic Red Dwarf. Maybe if he were to work on the show again we might see a return to form. But it seems unlikely...[/quote']

you're ever so slightly mixed up, but i know what you mean.

it was Doug Naylor who kept working on Red Dwarf (and he wrote Last Human)....

Rob Grant did Stressed Eric (and Backwards) after the partnership fell apart, and has kinda slipped off the radar since....

I want season 8 on dvd, i want a toy skutter.....

you're ever so slightly mixed up' date=' but i know what you mean.

it was Doug Naylor who kept working on Red Dwarf (and he wrote Last Human)....

Rob Grant did Stressed Eric (and Backwards) after the partnership fell apart, and has kinda slipped off the radar since....

I want season 8 on dvd, i want a toy skutter.....[/quote']

Fuck, I always get that one mixed up.

Rob Grant=good, Doug Naylor=no doubt a nice bloke.

It's their own fault for being the gestalt entity known as Grant Naylor for so long.

I'd go back and edit the post, but that'd be silly.

i've got every faith the show will be revived before long; its a case of bad luck with the movie so far. It will happen....the storyline that was touted (and confirmed by GNP) sounded pretty cool, but i'd imagine thats the reason why the movie hasn't taken off.

I would go into detail, but i'd sound so sad...

Fingers crossed for the movie then! I've never seen the US pilot' date=' but I'd like to, just to gag at it.

QUOTE']

I've only seen some of it, but from what I've seen it's proper shite, some big hunky handsome guy playing Lister, and Daphne off of Frasier as Holly!

OK so I've watched all of series 8. On the extras on the third disc there's an alternative ending to the series that's not only actually better than the ending they used, but it answered all the questions, made a nice end to the story, and would have actually made a pretty good ending to the whole program as it ends with everybody happy and Rimmer in charge of Red Dwarf. They really ought to have used that instead of that odd one with the grim reaper.

Elwood

OK so I've watched all of series 8. On the extras on the third disc there's an alternative ending to the series that's not only actually better than the ending they used' date=' but it answered all the questions, made a nice end to the story, and would have actually made a pretty good ending to the whole program as it ends with everybody happy and Rimmer in charge of Red Dwarf. They really ought to have used that instead of that odd one with the grim reaper.

Elwood[/quote']

Now I'm gonna have to buy the DVD - Thanks Elwood :swearing:

I love all the Red Dwarf series, always have, although now Red Dwarf reminds me of Amsterdam - The Netherlands seem to have almost a dedicated channel! What a nation!

The ending of 8 was nicely set' date=' as was the ending of 4 - Look at it simply and it looks like its over, but look closely and its still going, in 8 the fact that the rest of the crew were in the alternate dimension, or in 4 that when the future crew blew up the ship, they wiped themselves from exsistance, so they couldn't then destroy starbug, so it comes back (put on loop until rimmer destroys the drive first)

I like Red Dwarf far too much...

David[/quote']

That was the end of series 6 not 4. 4 ended with the episode Meltdown.