aberdeen-music

The Herald

Hello,

For those of you who don't know me by name, I'm Michael MacLennan, and as of tomorrow I'm going to be responsible for the pop and rock recommendations in The Herald's Thursday features section, Going Out. Here's the recommendations this week:

Dresden Dolls

Other recommendations

Anyway, I'll be doing more of that every week, and living in Aberdeen for many years I'm looking to put Aberdeen gigs and Aberdeen bands in there. I've got a new myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/michaelmaclennan to do with my writing, so I'd be grateful for anyone who wants to inform me on what they're up to through the site, or just check out the articles I'm doing and massage my ego. I'll go before I start sounding too wanky...

May i suggest the upcoming Lightning Bolt show in aberdeen?!

That was my plan, but we only do Thu-Sun, as it's recommending stuff for 'the weekend'. I have recommended the gig in Glasgow though, which is pretty cool to get in The Herald, hopefully a few interested people will read that, find out more about them and check out the Aberdeen show... not me though, I have to work night-shift on both dates, goddam it...

Hi Michael, not an an Aberdeen band by any means but how about this...

Huun Huur Tu

Friday 12 May

The Lemon Tree

Tickets 10 (6.75 concessions & regulars)

Doors Open: 8.30pm

Show Starts: 9.30pm

Box office: 01224 642230

Huun Huur Tus jawdropping trademark sound derives from the use of over-tone 'throat-singing' techniques which were invented by nomadic hunter-herders of the inconceivably remote steppes and mountains of Tuva in Siberia. Traditionally performed acappella, Huun Huur Tu were one of the first groups to combine them with ancient acoustic stringed instruments and percussion to thrilling and otherworldly effect. Since their first trip westwards in the mid 90s they have developed a large worldwide audience, particularly in America. In addition to releasing a controversial remix album featuring their work, Huun Huur Tus collaborators include Frank Zappa, Ry Cooder, the Chieftains, Kronos Quartet, Kodo drummers, a Bulgarian womens choir and on their recent Where Young Grass Grows album, a Scottish-Canadian fusion. If you like fellow Tuvans Yat Kha then youll love these guys especially as Yat Kha founder Albert Kuvezin learned his craft as a member of Huun Huur Tu.

MOLIA FALLS are from sweden, played and toured with the likes of LOGH, JENIFEREVER and EF (who played aberdeen to an amazing response last september). they are for fans of TRISTEZA, THE APPLESEED CAST, EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY, THE MERCURY PROGRAM, PELICAN etc they have toured the uk a few times before and have won many fans with tracks like GODALMING, A FRANCIS SLIPWAY and SUBURBIA all found on http://www.myspace.com/moliafalls

AVAST! featuring members of the excellent Stapleton. Fantastic up beat indie pop with tinges of post hardcore, signed to Gravity Dip Records. www.myspace.com/avastuk

SMALL ENCLOSED AREA will eb the main local support. rarely seen in aberdeen these days, SEA have just returned from a two week uk tour, where they have been wowing audiences up and down the country, with some great reviews to boot. Another band who have re-invented their sound in recent times, these days sounding like a hybrid of PELICAN, MOGWAI, A PERFECT CIRCLE. I have in my hands a recent live-in one take demo from unity studios in inverness which knocks spots off of most bands recording attempts. http://www.myspace.com/smallenclosedarea

COPY HAHO- Simply brilliant miserable pop from boys who drink like men and dress like the Sylvanian Families. For fans of Sonic Youth, Fuck off Machete, ...Trail of Dead. Recently signed to the excellent Pet Piranha roster. www.myspace.com/copyhaho

FRI MAY 12TH

THE TUNNELS

8PM

£5 AT THE DOOR

Cheers, and thanks for the recommendations, I've been meaning to check out Huun Huur Tu for ages, and I've always loved Copy Haho. The only problem with those gigs is that I have to file copy a couple of weeks in advance, so it's already too late to recommend those, unfortunately. But let me know of anything else coming up whenever it does, and I'll try and soak it up like a big fluffy sponge. Stuff like Huun Huur Tu is definitely appreciated, want to keep things pretty eclectic and mix it up a bit.

PS black_matter, what's your myspace page?

COPY HAHO- Simply brilliant miserable pop from boys who drink like men and dress like the Sylvanian Families. For fans of Sonic Youth' date=' Fuck off Machete, ...Trail of Dead. Recently signed to the excellent Pet Piranha roster. [url']www.myspace.com/copyhaho

FRI MAY 12TH

THE TUNNELS

8PM

5 AT THE DOOR

Are they those toys that i have seen in the window of Toy Bazzar?

Done and done' date=' nice to have something that simple for reference, you have no idea how complicated it is keeping track of gigs, even at this early stage...[/quote']

I think I may have just an inkling of how difficult it is keeping track of gigs.:swearing:

I'm glad you'll find it useful, good luck with the new job.