aberdeen-music

Go North listings

If you make statements like this you have to expect some feedback when you can not even get the names of the bands right..

."It's the people behind the scenes that make it all happen," he says. As a one-time guitar technician, Stewart cannot emphasise enough the importance of those people who work on the technical side of things, as well as those who organise, plan, and make the shows happen.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you make statements like this you have to expect some feedback when you can not even get the names of the bands right..

."It's the people behind the scenes that make it all happen' date='" he says. As a one-time guitar technician, Stewart cannot emphasise enough the importance of those people who work on the technical side of things, as well as those who organise, plan, and make the shows happen.[/quote']

wowee!

fuck bands, thats boring! lets go and watch some technicians! Fucking rad!!!!! (alternatively you could go down to your local community centre and watch those interesting people at the DIY joinery class making wonky nests of tables)

no offence to soundmen/women, some of them are almost human*

*apart from the ones with rubber ears (they are obviously only nine tenths human)

as for those who ahem, ''organise'' .....erm, what can one say?????

Whens go North like?

Have you got a crystal ball there Jim?

Nope but I rubbed my bald heed and saw an alternate future where 'Aberdeen was devoid of creative drive and had become one big Jumping Jacks as everyone who 'could' fucked off'. It was a fleeting moment and passed quickly, till the next time I moisturise my napper :)

wowee!

fuck bands' date=' thats boring! lets go and watch some technicians! Fucking rad!!!!! (alternatively you could go down to your local community centre and watch those interesting people at the DIY joinery class making wonky nests of tables)

no offence to soundmen/women, some of them are almost human*

*apart from the ones with rubber ears (they are obviously only nine tenths human)

as for those who ahem, ''organise'' .....erm, what can one say?????

Whens go North like?[/quote']

What took you so long?

;)

Do you not get all that info if you register? .
But what about those that don't? Most of us.
I imagine even a short bio on each act (approx 40) would take up a fair bit of space' date='paper and therefore money.[/quote'] Ridiculous! Basic essential information should be an absolute necessity.

I'm going to stick my oar in here and say that nearly all of Go North is organised on a voluntary basis' date=' and anyone that was involved with SHIFT or any other event will tell you it can be damn hard getting straight answers from people at times which slows things down muchly and things then become a severe labour of love.

(Also, Kilau new a while ago that it was a venue this year)

I'm writing this because I know that most people that criticise from around these parts couldn't organise a walk down Union street, gets my goat sometimes. Tell me something that doesn't have elements that could always be better? Don't mistake this post as a rant about how great the event is. I've always skirted on the periphary with no direct involvement and don't envy the organisers. I have always had a good time and I also like things happening in Aberdeen. I just get fed up of the grumpy guts negativity that exists in Aberdeen. There are those that do and there are those that moan about what those that do are doing! Just enjoy stuff for crying out loud if yoiu greet too much it will get taken away.

There, that's better :up:[/quote']

Good points jim. we should just enjoy it. :swearing:

Im certainly gonna enjoy Real Ones in Drummonds on Thurs @ 10:15. They are my new favourite band!

Also Tunnels wednit looks great! Hivida from Orkney :up: - not quite Shetland, but ill be there supporting the Island contingent!

It's not just for the industry......OR IS IT?!

Since the whole point is to showcase bands to industry types, I'd imagine so. It's the raison d'etre of the whole thing.

The fact that you're getting to see a whole heap of bands (if you so desire) that have never, and may never again, play Aberdeen at the cost of nothing more than your time and Red Stripe surely means that a few mouse clicks on your part is a fair exchange.

I'm going to stick my oar in here and say that nearly all of Go North is organised on a voluntary basis' date=' and anyone that was involved with SHIFT or any other event will tell you it can be damn hard getting straight answers from people at times which slows things down muchly and things then become a severe labour of love.

(Also, Kilau new a while ago that it was a venue this year)

I'm writing this because I know that most people that criticise from around these parts couldn't organise a walk down Union street, gets my goat sometimes. Tell me something that doesn't have elements that could always be better? Don't mistake this post as a rant about how great the event is. I've always skirted on the periphary with no direct involvement and don't envy the organisers. I have always had a good time and I also like things happening in Aberdeen. I just get fed up of the grumpy guts negativity that exists in Aberdeen. There are those that do and there are those that moan about what those that do are doing! Just enjoy stuff for crying out loud if yoiu greet too much it will get taken away.

There, that's better :up:[/quote']

I think with GoNorth it's a matter of frustration. More than once they've held meetings after the event to ask what could be done better and it seems that very little of the most shouted about points at those meetings have been acted upon (for example getting the website up to date in plenty of time). What's the point in holding meetings to ask the opinion of those that go to it and then ignoring most of what's been said at those meetings?

I think with GoNorth it's a matter of frustration. More than once they've held meetings after the event to ask what could be done better and it seems that very little of the most shouted about points at those meetings have been acted upon (for example getting the website up to date in plenty of time). What's the point in holding meetings to ask the opinion of those that go to it and then ignoring most of what's been said at those meetings?

And then the people who shouted last time can't be bothered to shout again as it's obvious that very little will change regardless, so everyone just gets more and more jaded with the whole thing as each year goes on.

I get the impression that the industry types don't care who's playing and therefore GoNorth don't have to bother publishing the schedule until a few days beforehand - after all, why bother if your target market isn't bothered either?

It's a shame GoEvents don't get as many local promoters, bands and people involved as possible though - would it really be that hard to organise? It has the power to bring people together, so it's a shame that it doesn't really. Imagine the amount of effort people would put in in an attempt to bring the industry types to "their" show - something that surely could only benefit Aberdeen?

Maybe some of the forces behind GoFuck last year should create a true creative festival in Aberdeen, ran for the people who believe in their music, regardless of what their beliefs are. Or is that too radical a concept?

One final question : why are they claiming 8 venues when there's only gigs on in 6 of them?

Guest Startex
sorry' date=' did someone mention free booze?[/quote']

I'll avoid making any comments here! You coming up from London this year? :)

Now I think it's about time I got my oar in here...

I can fully accept that Go North isn't the best event ever to happen on the planet and could be run, and publicised better, however, the 3 of us that set it up and have run it every year are doing it for nothing and I really believe that it is very good for the music 'scene' in Aberdeen. I do not accept all the crap that get's thrown in our direction. The reason that the publicity, especially the brochures, are printed so late in the day is a combination of it taking so long to work out the best line-up's, getting the bands to confirm, and the fact that we don't know until the end of the financial year, on 1st April, what cash we have to spend. I sympathise with the fact that although I've held a couple of meetings so local people can put forward their ideas, not much seems to happen. You may be aware that I am the only person on the team who actually stays in the city and I am also frustrated that Aberdeen seems to be badly represented. The reason that so few bands from the city are playing showcases is purely down to the quality of bands who bother to apply. The website is done by people in Inverness and I am assured that they post the information as soon as they get it. I agree with Ian about putting something about every band playing into the brochure. That would be extremely difficult and would probably increase the size of it substantially.

I am not going to leave Go North as I feel the the city should have a presence but I am going to take very much a back seat, and run our own event instead. The plans at the moment is just to hold a weekend of gigs and workshops around Aberdeen in late September, but if people support it the first time then we'll hopefully make it a much bigger event in future years. I'm sure that we'll get loads of moaning and negative vibes from people around the city, but part of my job is putting up with that, so bring it on!

Enjoy Go North 2006, it's likely to be the last one! :band:

' date=' and the fact that we don't know until the end of the financial year, on 1st April, what cash we have to spend. [/quote']

That pretty much explains all the problems I see. Most of which could be avoided by doing it one month earlier, which is not possible.:down:

Maybe some of the forces behind GoFuck last year should create a true creative festival in Aberdeen' date=' ran for the people who believe in their music, regardless of what their beliefs are. Or is that too radical a concept?

[/quote']

Request noted.

I'll avoid making any comments here! You coming up from London this year? :)

i wasn't invited. ;-)

seriously though' date=' if you're expecting london 'industry' to turn up [i don't count myself among them, btw'] then round this time of year you've not only got 'in the city' and 'truck' to contend with, there's also 'the great escape' festival in brighton [although i've heard the passes haven't been selling too well for that].

there are just too many festivals these days.