aberdeen-music

Go North listings

ps. what the fuck is gofuck?

It was an alternative festival to goNORTH, for some of the bands (and venues) that were excluded from goNORTH. I recall a certain *COUGH* goNORTH organiser coming round and trying to fly post a goNORTH poster on our front door, just before goFUCK kicked off LMAO!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to GoFuck... I'm not an official person of sorts *looks toward bandmate* erm... however... maybe...

to be continued and discussed.

hopefully something can come of it, especially with the strong hints that this is the last year for Go North (which is sad, the music this year was ace, despite the fact that it was yet again a farce as far as band selection goes).

If someone was organising it, I'd hope they would have the sense to make it clear that the selection policy is down to the organisers, not through some mysterious unknown judging.

hopefully something can come of it' date=' especially with the strong hints that this is the last year for Go North (which is sad, the music this year was ace, despite the fact that it was yet again a farce as far as band selection goes).

If someone was organising it, I'd hope they would have the sense to make it clear that the selection policy is down to the organisers, not through some mysterious unknown judging.[/quote']

In terms of workshops etc it's been the best year yet imo, a lot of interesting things happening so well done to the organisers for that, I just dont like the fact that yet again bands who didnt apply are slotted in, surely the organisers should have a list of local bands who did apply that they can contact instead of just putting people in, which again devalues the whole process of submitting. Why do local bands not feel the need to submit... because apparently it doesnt matter if you do, someone who didnt may still be playing.

On the whole, I enjoyed the experience of GoNorth this year better than any previous years, saw a few interesting out of town bands and learned a lot at the workshops, and made some valuable contacts, and as usual my complaints is about the band selection process which is again (in some cases) proved to be about who you know.

Cheers

Stuart

In terms of workshops etc it's been the best year yet imo' date=' a lot of interesting things happening so well done to the organisers for that, I just dont like the fact that yet again bands who didnt apply are slotted in, surely the organisers should have a list of local bands who did apply that they can contact instead of just putting people in, which again devalues the whole process of submitting. Why do local bands not feel the need to submit... because apparently it doesnt matter if you do, someone who didnt may still be playing.

On the whole, I enjoyed the experience of GoNorth this year better than any previous years, saw a few interesting out of town bands and learned a lot at the workshops, and made some valuable contacts, and as usual my complaints is about the band selection process which is again (in some cases) proved to be about who you know.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Because we make heavy music.

In terms of workshops etc it's been the best year yet imo' date=' a lot of interesting things happening so well done to the organisers for that, I just dont like the fact that yet again bands who didnt apply are slotted in, surely the organisers should have a list of local bands who did apply that they can contact instead of just putting people in, which again devalues the whole process of submitting. Why do local bands not feel the need to submit... because apparently it doesnt matter if you do, someone who didnt may still be playing.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

'

I think I said it somewhere else but to the absolute best of my knowledge' everyone submitted a CD but there will have been a few 'straight through's'. Maybe when it comes to the out of town bands that are almost breaking through and have a higher profile 'then here' the process slides in favour of the industry and attracting the right attention. 'Ticking the right boxes' so to speak. Its just one of those things. T Break is exactly the same. There are the heats for the majority of the slots at T In The Park but there are always organisers preferences that play, in almost all aspects of promoting and event organising.

And also for the record I am not condoning or condeming this behaviour, simply taking a realist stand.

(Also, my band did submit and apply as normal, but we had to use all our savings to put in the little brown envelopes that were handed over weeks ago) Good event this year and certainly a much higher profile than ever before, shame its going North...

'

I think I said it somewhere else but to the absolute best of my knowledge' everyone submitted a CD but there will have been a few 'straight through's'. Maybe when it comes to the out of town bands that are almost breaking through and have a higher profile 'then here' the process slides in favour of the industry and attracting the right attention. 'Ticking the right boxes' so to speak. Its just one of those things. T Break is exactly the same. There are the heats for the majority of the slots at T In The Park but there are always organisers preferences that play' date=' in almost all aspects of promoting and event organising.

And also for the record I am not condoning or condeming this behaviour, simply taking a realist stand.

(Also, my band did submit and apply as normal, but we had to use all our savings to put in the little brown envelopes that were handed over weeks ago) Good event this year and certainly a much higher profile than ever before, shame its going North...[/quote']

There were at least 3 bands I know of who played who didnt submit, though I believe one of them were asked as another band had dropped out, though in this case they must have a list of Aberdeen based bands who did apply that they could ask, maybe 5 or 6 back up local bands. I know it goes on all the time I just find it very frustrating that the organisers claim it doesnt happen here when obviously it does, everyone knows it does so they might as well be honest about it instead of saying every band goes through the proper selection process.

Cheers

Stuart

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Well...that explains a lot! I applied to play at GoNorth and didn't get in. I figured whoever did must've been better, maybe I'm naive. I was at the workshops too, which i really enjoyed, and decided to hang about for the showcase afterwards. Now you would think that whoever got the opportunity to play at these industry showcases would have to be pretty good wouldn't you? Well, for the most part they were good, but one of the bands was so uninspiring I thought something must not be right...and now I know why!

Am I the only one who experienced this? ?(

Well...that explains a lot! I applied to play at GoNorth and didn't get in. I figured whoever did must've been better' date=' maybe I'm naive. I was at the workshops too, which i really enjoyed, and decided to hang about for the showcase afterwards. Now you would think that whoever got the opportunity to play at these industry showcases would have to be pretty good wouldn't you? Well, for the most part they were good, but one of the bands was so uninspiring I thought something must not be right...and now I know why!

Am I the only one who experienced this? ?([/quote']

I don't think you're the only one by a country mile. Looking at the Aberdeen bands from this year, it's plainly obvious yet again that in most (all?) cases, it's not how good or bad you are, it's about who you are.

Of course, the jury is out on whether playing these showcases actually means a thing.

Of course' date=' the jury is out on whether playing these showcases actually means a thing.[/quote']

Means? It means that if you're band are shit, I didn't see many this year so I wont comment, then like any other gig nowt will happen apart from your mates saying they like you. If you are half way arite and have prospects then you 'may' have been noticed and 'may' be watched with a few more opportunities opening up, in time. I wouldn't expect any more than that and it's ultimately business as usual the day after, which for Staccato Set is chugging along happily in our own wee bubble, aware of what's going on, playing some nice gigs and with a healthy view to being a band for a very long time regardless! Thankfully a rhythm section can get off with being old although my right knee says different some days!

:up: