aberdeen-music

smashing pumpkins recording new album

french_disko

http://www.nme.com/news/smashing-pumpkins/22863

Smashing Pumpkins get to work on new album

The reformed rockers are officially back

The newly reformed Smashing Pumpkins have begun work on a new album.

The band are currently writing the follow-up to 2000's 'MACHINA/The Machines Of God', and will begin recording shortly.

A statement on the band's website reads: "It's official, the Smashing Pumpkins are currently writing songs for their upcoming album, their first since 2000. No release date has been set, but the band plans to begin recording this summer."

Singer Billy Corgan had made no secret of the fact he wants to reform his old. Last year on his webpage, he hinted reformation plans were coming along.

"The surprise I have in store for you all will be announced soon enough," he said. "Hold on to your horses. After all, good things surely come to those who wait....Don't you just love the suspense?"

Corgan remains friends with former Pumpkins drummer Jimmy Chamberlain, and is also in contact with the band's second bassist Melissa Auf Der Maur, having collaborated with her on her forthcoming second solo album. There is still no confirmation as to what line-up of the band Corgan has got together.

The first rumours of the band reforming came when the singer took out an advert in the local Chicago Tribune newspaper where he said "his heart" remains with his old band.

He wrote: "When I played the final Smashing Pumpkins show on the night of December 2, 2000, I walked off the stage believing that I was forever leaving a piece of my life behind. I naively tried to start a new band, but found that my heart wasn't in it. I moved away to pursue a love that I once had but got lost. So I moved back home to heal what was broken in me, and to my surprise I found what I was looking or. I found that my heart is in Chicago, and that my heart is in the Smashing Pumpkins.

"For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. But now I want you to be among the first to know that I have made plans to renew and revive the Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams. In this desire I feel I have come home again."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is ace news, as long as like someone said, it isn't just Corgan, Chamberlin and a bunch of hired hands. At the very least, I rekon Melissa will join, so I guess it is all down to Iha. Having said that, Iha has no creative imput in the band, and it was his fault that the pumpkins disbanded in the first place, so if the worst came to the worst it would not be critical to have him back.

i own those albums' date=' very much heard them

machina 1 is genius, pending on whether you have the vinyl or cd you get 17 tracks or 15 tracks and they are all excellent

def in my top 10 of all time fav albums[/quote']

Trust me I've heard 99% of the songs B0lly wrote for Machina I and II and they don't really compare with the 50+ he wrote for MCIS...

Personally' date=' I'm more into the first two albums.

Have you heard the two disc Machina II cd? it was realsed as a 12" LP and a couple of 10" singles but only in a stupidly limited quantity.

I've got bootlegs of it if you want a copy.[/quote']

It was never released commercially.

Just to a few Radio Stations then put up online for fans to download for free.

Would be worth a FORTUNE.

• 3 months later...

From www.smashingpumpkins.com

"The Smashing Pumpkins are currently in the recording studio with legendary producer Roy Thomas Baker (Queen, The Cars, The Darkness), at work on their first new album since 1999."

I'm guessing B0lly is going to be going to grandeous (sp?) sound again from his choice of producer.

Eric Avery (ex Jane's Addiction) is alledgedly playing bass on the new album too.