aberdeen-music

Ebay Ticket Touts

jonty84

Over the last few years, Ebay has enabled fans to sell unwanted/extra tickets to sold-out gigs to fans in need of tickets. After T In The Park sold out in under an hour, Oxegen in under 10 hours (compared with last years 12 weeks) and Reading/Leeds in under two hours, it's now becoming virtually impossible for many fans to get their hands on a ticket if they aren't on the ball. People who are buying tickets and then selling them on on Ebay to other people is quickly beginning to ruin the chance to go to many gigs for lots of true fans, and creating financial opportunities for other people to make a quick buck. Apparantly after Morrissey's London gig sold out, within an hour there were 241 separate auctions on Ebay for tickets. If things continue to go this way, soon the only way to get tickets to many gigs will be by buying them off some opportunist on ebay for a vastly inflated price.

So with all that in mind - what's your opinion, and what should be done to stop the touts?

Mike :)

There is a couple of petitions going around to change the rules of Ebay so that these people can't sell their tickets on. i don't know if that will ever work, but it is really annoying. When people who really wanna go to a gig/festival, who are really into their music, can only get tickets by paying extortionate prices to wanker touts.

Also, some places let you only buy two tickets max per person: does everywhere do that? cos I figure that could work quite well.

eBay has just stopped people selling tickets to football games, I don't see why it should be any different for gigs. Touts are cashing in by selling tickets at silly prices. I bet if fleabay wasn't around, these gigs wouldn't sell out so quickly and people who actually want to go would be in with a chance of going.

I'm with reject_monkey... kill the cunts

eBay has just stopped people selling tickets to football games' date=' I don't see why it should be any different for gigs. [/quote']

Specific regs apply to football - indeed, if the ticket sales practices of many clubs were not subject to/protected by regulation, they would be liable for prosecution under at least the conditional purchasing regs.

What about those boards where you can exchange tickets at face value? Would save unused tickets going to waste whilst undermining the touts.

Although I have to say that it sounds a bit too close to sour grapes to me when the people who sell an often overinflated-price ticket to a commercial rip-off event, start moaning about someone else making even more cash out of it.

What about those boards where you can exchange tickets at face value? Would save unused tickets going to waste whilst undermining the touts.

Easier said than done. How do you ensure they get exchaged at face value? Plus, to be totally honest, anybody who has a spare ticket for a gig and won't go would obviously like to make a few extra quid from the ticket. A board where you can exchange tickets at face value would only be appealing to those who didn't know any better or who were extremely moral and didn't fancy a few extra bucks. Many of them out there? Doubt it.

Unfortunately it seems Glastonbury's idea last year, as controlled as it is seems the closest thing to sense; two tickets per person, and for festivals, a photograph of youself on them. Fair enough, it's a bit much, but it's now what needs to be done to prevent these cunts from making shit loads out of the genuine music lovers out there. Ebay genuinely needs to stop this - or even put a 'cap' on how much a ticket can be sold on for; no more than an extra 10% on the ticket value for example. I saw an auction for 2 T In the Park tickets for 600 the other day? I mean for fuck's sake, I'd find it pretty damn hard to enjoy a festival if that had come out of my pocket.

Mike

I think it would reduce the touting if ebay put a mark up limit on tickets sold....like 10 or 15%' date=' and clamped down on postage scams....[/quote']

Yes, I agree. Also that the starting price has to be a certain percentage of the face value; ie you can't buy a ticket for a tenner and start the bidding at eighty five quid.

But to be frank, if I had a couple extra tickets lying about (espec. for festivals) I would sure as fuck put them on ebay. Wouldn't we all?

Why not stop whining and accept that it happens in a free market? Touts will sell at the price that the market can sustain - has no-one here managed to buy tickets for piss cheap because they aren't in demand at all?

Whining at ebay won't stop it, there's plenty other channels to sell tickets through.

But to be frank' date=' if I had a couple extra tickets lying about (espec. for festivals) I would sure as fuck put them on ebay. Wouldn't we all?[/quote']

I think that's the point....who would have a "spare ticket"...surely a festival is a big event, where you plan your "holiday", so, you'd need to know that you and your friends can go, and buy the ticket.

if you suddenly "can't go" is this where the "spare ticket" comes in?

I've sold tickets on ebay - it was for the White Stripes last November as I couldn't manage.

BUT.....

i advertised them on here first for sale at the price I paid for them and then I put them on ebay at a buy it now price that covered my costs (postage / listing the item) and didn't make any profit.

It's a moral thing.

I've sold tickets on ebay - it was for the White Stripes last November as I couldn't manage.

BUT.....

i advertised them on here first for sale at the price I paid for them and then I put them on ebay at a buy it now price that covered my costs (postage / listing the item) and didn't make any profit.

It's a moral thing.

Right on brother!