aberdeen-music

THE punk rock thread...

Guest MKII

captain sensible also had a successful career in the 90's doing music for the computer game developer Sensible Software' date=' creators of Cannon Fodder and Sensible Soccer.[/quote']

Sensi Soccer - there's a blast fae the past. I did some of the coding on the original ST & Amiga versions back when I was freelancing.

Punk - I got shouted down by some of the pedants for a tongue-in-cheek response to Mr Geldof's rant about the Clash.

I said Punk in the UK was fake - and someone in this post has articulated perfectlt what I was trying to say (through the Smirnoff haze)....

"Mainstream 70's Kings Road peackock postcard punk....".

Perfectly put. It doesn't make any of the bands less good, but I believe "Punk" flies out the window as soon as the big record deal is signed. There are a few exceptions though....e.g. SLF, Exploited and so forth.

Punk has nothing to do with the manky look or tuneless shouty "songs", it's a state of mind.

DZL

I think that idea is pretty stupid...

"keeping it underground"...what does that mean?

if X amount of people get into their music' date=' do they have to stop? or do they just ban people from hearing their music?

who in the world wants to make music, and "limit" the amount of people who listen to it? (none, I'd imagine)...

if 6 million people listened to a CD that was 100% artistically controlled by the artist, it's still underground, if no fancy producer/record company dictates what is done with the direction of the band.....

underground, overground...wombling free....[/quote']by underground, I essentially meant DIY. But in order to keep it completely DIY, the scene needs to stay small, or else the "industry" gets interested, and things start to fuck themselves over.

so basically what you're syaing, is what I meant.

Theres still tons of punks. doing the same thing they did years ago. except' date=' now, they KEEP it underground, cos they learnt from the last lots mistakes.[/quote']

Then your definition of punk must be completely different from mine.

I don't recognise what I perceive what your definition of punk as being real punk. But hey you were born years after the fact so your perspective is different.

Punk as an ideology has morphed into political rules based conformist (conforming by predictable non conforming) pile of poo. Its a hypocritical Joke.

Punk as an artform or form of expression is still around thankfully. Scarce but still pops up with different levels of subversiveness' date=' individualism and raw creativity in the most unexpected places. The place you'll never find it is at ''punk'' gig however. Thats become like one of those Elvis tribute things. Harmless retro fun but not punk at all.

On balance Id say punk as what it stood for in 1976 is well and truly dead and buried.

Some brilliant music happened but erm, move on.....

Some of the music is good however.[/quote']

That's more like it...

captain sensible also had a successful career in the 90's doing music for the computer game developer Sensible Software' date=' creators of Cannon Fodder and Sensible Soccer.[/quote']

did he write "war, never been so much fun" and "goal scoring superstar hero" for those games? if so, i love this guy already, those two songs were the soundtrack to my youth.

did he write "war' date=' never been so much fun" and "goal scoring superstar hero" for those games? if so, i love this guy already, those two songs were the soundtrack to my youth.[/quote']

You're still young!?

did he write "war' date=' never been so much fun" and "goal scoring superstar hero" for those games? if so, i love this guy already, those two songs were the soundtrack to my youth.[/quote']

"war has never been so much fun" was indded the tagline for Cannon Fodder. Quite possibly the dumbest 7 words in history.

DZL

Guest Les Stroszek

Wow 'Goal Scoring Superstar Hero' what a song! Me and my mates could never work out what the words were though. Sorry I had to respond its a blast from the past!

I'm not going to get into the whole d.i.y thing' date=' as I like the idea, but I think it's done very badly in some cases and can lead to purist nonsense, which has more to do with social cliques than the music which is being created. [/quote']

Sadly that's how it appears to me. I love the idea, it's fundamentally a great one, but so was communism.

Sadly that's how it appears to me. I love the idea' date=' it's fundamentally a great one, but so was communism.[/quote']

Thats how it appears to you but how many diy gigs have you been to recently? I know you did some stuff with GFN and are still doing some gig booking but I haven't seen you at a gig in a while.

The majority of the gigs I have been to in Aberdeen have been diy affairs and have had a friendly welcoming atmosphere, talking to random people at these gigs has made me a load more friends who are more than happy to go out of their way to bring new bands to aberdeen and make them feel welcome when they are here. Whether you call this punk or not is a different matter but I dont think anyone can say it is a bad thing.

To me the diy scene is punk at heart, but I wasnt there when punk started (Being born in 1984 may have something to do with this) so I can see how some of the older punks think punk is dead, it certainly isnt the same as it was back then.

I think everyone should go and listen to fig 4.0 :- Your Wisdom, Our Youth

Thats how it appears to you but how many diy gigs have you been to recently?

none. because he is not into that scene. which is why his thoughts on it are pretty irrelevant. its only an opinion from the outside. what he did with gfn? doesnt really have anythign to dio wit it either as he was the one that wanted to vat register them and the like.

The majority of the gigs I have been to in Aberdeen have been diy affairs and have had a friendly welcoming atmosphere' date=' talking to random people at these gigs has made me a load more friends who are more than happy to go out of their way to bring new bands to aberdeen and make them feel welcome when they are here. Whether you call this punk or not is a different matter but I dont think anyone can say it is a bad thing.

To me the diy scene is punk at heart, but I wasnt there when punk started (Being born in 1984 may have something to do with this) so I can see how some of the older punks think punk is dead, it certainly isnt the same as it was back then.

I think everyone should go and listen to fig 4.0 :- Your Wisdom, Our Youth[/quote']

agree fully on this, im not a punk, im not a hardcore kid, if anythign i look like an indie kid apparently, but i always feel at home at these gigs

Guest Mr Blastcap

i feel sick.

this conversation is as boring to me as listening to a beer swilling yip yip talking to his mate about football. meaningless. i think Pink is punk, but thats just me. the merits of Crass (total shit) vs. the Pistols (great) are akin to bickering about Aberdeen Vs Cove rangers.

• 8 months later...
i feel sick.

this conversation is as boring to me as listening to a beer swilling yip yip talking to his mate about football. meaningless. i think Pink is punk, but thats just me. the merits of Crass (total shit) vs. the Pistols (great) are akin to bickering about Aberdeen Vs Cove rangers.

Hmmm! Interesting. I remember getting a Crass LP (Live) and listening to 'Banned From the Roxy' and thinking that it was not bad. I've not played it for years. I play the Bollocks album at least 2-3 a week....says something I think.