aberdeen-music

Paradise Lost...Great band?

Dan G

I liked everything up to Icon, Draconian Times was a bit poor, haven't really listened to Host, One Second was pretty good, Believe in Nothing is excellant and haven't heard the new one that much to really rate it (although i do own it) the Bronski Beat cover at the end is excellant.

I've seen them live 4 times, (Gothic tour, Icon, Draconian times and the Aberdeen gig for Believe in Nothing.) and they were excellant each time apart from there festival appearance at Donnington the stage was too big for them and it was broad daylight.

Daylight doesn't help bands who are dark and gloomy :)

I kinda half-liked them (although didn't own a lot of their stuph) but then they went very Depeche Modey - I can't remember the album title (The one with 'So Much Is Lost' on) which I kinda liked, but thought was at really odd angles to what they did previously.

After that I always looked at them oddly.

Originally posted by Dayeth:

Wow, what a coincidence, just listening to "Draconian Times" which is absoloutely amazing. I haven't heard any of their other albums, but if this is anything to go by it is worth an investigation.

Well judging by what you've just said BUY 'Icon' ASAP!

You don't really need anything else, I reckon.

I first bought Icon in 1995 and then Draconian Times in 96, but then when I went back to their earlier stuff I was pretty dissappointed cos I wasn't a huge death metal fan, and also when they started releasing their newer stuff I thought it wasn't heavy enough.

I can't believe a band went from Death metal to synthy goth pop.

Possibly the biggest progression a band has ever made, EVER!

I love Paradise Lost! They had a good start with the early stuff, Icon is good, Draconian is amazing but Symbol of Life (the latest) is my favourite album by them.

They had a few dodgy albums inbetween Draconian and Symbol of life but hey, I still think they are ace

Guest Scorge Spike

They're a bit pish really - two alright-ish albums (Icon/DT) and nothing else worth talking about.

Saw them at Bloodstock last year, whereupon they were bombarded with bottles and then turned into the most arrogant fuckers I've ever seen on a stage. So mesmerisingly good that Mr. Doc Murray feel asleep midway thorugh the set. :D

First band I ever went to see live (although Die Krupps supporting technically makes THEM the first) on the Icon tour (or it ay have been in support of the ep from said album...). Anyway, it was ace, they were ace, don't like the earlier stuff, haven't heard the later stuff. There.

Guest highroller

me and dan have discussed this many a time...you need only two albums...those two are AWESOME!!!!

Although shades of god has got "as i die" which is incredible!!