aberdeen-music

Sandi Thom

Ian

Apparently shes now signed to SONY BMG, not bad for a wee girl from banff.

i have'nt actually heard anything of her yet but will be interesting to see if record big wigs will start taking notice of smaller places from the success of kt tunstall, sandi thom etc

..........any thoughts?

.........anyone know her when she played around aberdeen?

:popcorn:

Guest DustyDeviada

Good luck to her, I've heard her song "I Wish I was a Punk Rocker with Flowers in my Hair" on the radio a few times, and it's certainly different and memorable, although ultimately a bit twee for my tastes.

i have no speakers on my machine so i can't listen yet, but i keep imagining a cross between kt tunstall and avril lavigne.

good luck to her alright would be cool to see some recognition come to this corner for a change.

Anyone know what other bands have made a success in the industry from this area, i know the idlewild drummers from macduff and driveblind have been in america for years anyone else made a splash as in radio play MTV etc.

Good luck to her' date=' I've heard her song "I Wish I was a Punk Rocker with Flowers in my Hair" on the radio a few times, and it's certainly different and memorable, although ultimately a bit twee for my tastes.[/quote']

I was about to say "WHO?" but I have heard that song a few times on the radio, could never find any info on who it was.

Its memorable for all the wrong reasons :down:

I was about to say "WHO?" but I have heard that song a few times on the radio' date=' could never find any info on who it was.

Its memorable for all the wrong reasons :down:[/quote']

I cringed when I heard it awhile back.

Guest DustyDeviada

The song was first played on Radio 2 during an interview with Paul McCartney.

The stump loving former moptop wanted to big up someone who went to his Liverpool Tax Break fame academy, of which Ms Thom is an alumni, so he chose her.

All of this means that Paul McCartney knows who Sandi Thom is. He will never know who I am.

So well done Sandi I say.

Eh??????

I'm sure if Sir Paul comes to the Lemon tree on Thursday he will discard the Thom lassie like a hot potato' date=' and insist you fill her spangly jumpsuit![/quote']

I think reffering to macca as "The stump loving former mop top" might affect his chances.

I was about to say "WHO?" but I have heard that song a few times on the radio' date=' could never find any info on who it was.

Its memorable for all the wrong reasons :down:[/quote']

Good luck to her but I thought that song was rank. I heard it on Johnny Walkers show quite a lot and apart from being average it was the lyrics that stuck out as she referenced the wrong years.

I spent a few good night s o'er in Banff in the late 80s / early 90s

But again hope does does well.

I think the songs great. But then I think Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell and KT Tunstall are great. And whats wrong with deliberately getting a year wrong in a song if your going for it to sound good. Songs don't have to be accurate, though granted it can sometimes help. And yeah, to avoid argument, she might just have got it wrong.

Dx

Anyone gout the full lyric sheet?

Good luck to her but I thought that song was rank. I heard it on Johnny Walkers show quite a lot and apart from being average it was the lyrics that stuck out as she referenced the wrong years.

Oh ? that is an interesting statement, care to elaborate on the song lyrics and your understanding of them?

As I understand it there are Not 9 billion bicycles in Bejing but that did not stop Katie Melua dancing around like a wee pixie under a baby grand piano on tour, and raking in wads of dosh.

Oh ? that is an interesting statement' date=' care to elaborate on the song lyrics and your understanding of them?

As I understand it there are Not 9 billion bicycles in Bejing but that did not stop Katie Melua dancing around like a wee pixie under a baby grand piano on tour, and raking in wads of dosh.[/quote']

Take the main hook

Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair

In 77 and 69 revolution was in the air

Well that doesn't really make any sense. There's a reference to Flowers In your Hair and general Hippydome...Whiter Shade of Pale is name checked later on all of which, to me is the summer of love 1967...not 1969. Revolution was in the air in 1968 (French and US riots) but it wasn't very flowery and it wasn't 69 either..

Anyhow, it does nothing for me in general. But no matter I wish her every success.

I like KT Tunstall and some Joni Mitchell and Carly Simon...also Janice Ian too and still don't dig it.

I didn't get the "punk rocker with flowers in my hair" line either' date=' maybe its supposed to be ironic....

As for 9 million bicycles in Bejing (thats a fact).....I haven't heard such tripe ever....

Music really needs to get political again...something good always comes of it[/quote']

Agree with the Melua shite, I loathe her voice and songs. That's even before I knew Mike Batt was involved.

... but politics and music...never really works. All guff and no substance.

Wee lassie Fae Banff

The recurring theme here seems to be "good luck to her".

I totally agree. Good on her...

...but the song is diabolical. I heard it yonks ago driving back to Aberdeen late at night. I wanted to crash the car - it was that bad.

The sentiment is kinda sweet, about a young lass who's lamenting over historical events and eras that she's missed. but the delivery is rank.

It's almost Kindergarten stuff, with the stomp-along rythym.

Still, she's on the radio, I'm unlikey to be on it again...so nuts to me :up:

:up: