aberdeen-music

Piano/Singers in Aberdeen.

Sam 45

I havn't seen a huge amount around Aberdeen (i think Kathryn Sawers does this and iv heard Ellie Mulhern do it) but more to the point:

One of my friends has recently recorded a demo she plays piano and sings. She is a very talented lass but doesnt realy know where to play live ect. Where are good places in Aberdeen for this style and do you think there realy is a market for it in Aberdeen?

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if she happens to contact mike or graham from interesting music she will be able to pass 0on a demo

if she is great and talented they will prob book her at some point. andy mulhern is also a good guy to contact

singer/sonmgwriters need to choose which gigs they play wisely. it can be particularly demoralising playign to a venue full of people who dont give a fuck abotu that kind of music etc

One of my friends has recently recorded a demo she plays piano and sings. She is a very talented lass but doesnt realy know where to play live ect. Where are good places in Aberdeen for this style and do you think there realy is a market for it in Aberdeen?

Tell her to go out and cut her teeth on the live circuit supporting anyone and everyone - as long as it gets her somewhere. It's worth playing a variety of places, nights and supports to gain experience. She should concentrate on building herself as a live musician - which means simply getting as much experience under her belt as possible.

Give Jester1470 a PM too, he's the manager of one of the most successful Aberdeen acts of recent times (Jo McCafferty) and probably can give you endless advice as far as getting an act out there.

Oh, and get me a copy of the demo :p

I would pay attention to this:

singer/sonmgwriters need to choose which gigs they play wisely. it can be particularly demoralising playign to a venue full of people who dont give a fuck abotu that kind of music etc

Rather than this:

Tell her to go out and cut her teeth on the live circuit supporting anyone and everyone - as long as it gets her somewhere.

Although cloud is correct that it's good to build experience, it would be better for her to build it by playing appropiate gigs where the audience will give her more of a chance.

Although cloud is correct that it's good to build experience' date=' it would be better for her to build it by playing appropiate gigs where the audience will give her more of a chance.[/quote']

It depends what you mean by appropriate but I would say that Cloud is right that if a band is willing to put you on, similar styles etc dont necessarily matter - getting out there to a variety of audiences does. The bottom line is though unless someone thinks that the fans will appreciate something like what you do a promoter wont put you on, so if a promoter will put you on they must see some crossover potential and therefore it's probably worth doing, so any gigs that someone's willing to let you try (if you have the temperament for the occasional let down and bad reception) it's worth doing for experience and making impressions on different fans.

Cheers

Stuart

but there are a million promoters out there who dont really care about what they put on, there are venues who needs slots filled, amillion disorganised people who leave things to the last minute etc its very easy to get any old gig these days

many venues promoters are thinking about feet through doors rather/beer sales much more than than how well the performance goes down. its a business

I think Cloud is right for once! :help:

If you can hack it, having the strength/being able to play a great set to an indifferent audience, even one that isn't paying the slightest bit of attention to you WILL make you a better live performer.

Hand picking specific gigs with the assumption that the audience will listen and be more attentive will back fire at some point.

I think Cloud is right for once! :help:

If you can hack it' date=' having the strength/being able to play a great set to an indifferent audience, even one that isn't paying the slightest bit of attention to you WILL make you a better live performer.

Hand picking specific gigs with the assumption that the audience will listen and be more attentive will back fire at some point.[/quote']

possibly but how mahy people do you know who are still at school and can "hack it" it with big boys (phil guinever/ashes) and old men (alan cynic)

possibly but how mahy people do you know who are still at school and can "hack it" it with big boys (phil guinever/ashes) and old men (alan cynic)

Surely the only way to know this is through the experience of doing it though ? Some people find it difficult to play to certain crowds and easier to play to others where they may not have much to lose. Itcan be easier to play to a crowd who's opinions dont matter initially so much to you as one who do. Playing to a sold out 1000+ capacity requires the same mentality as playing a Drummonds gig in a lot of ways as you'll still usually only see a small amount of the crowd, if you can get comfortable with that then it's easy, this is especially true of theater gigs where sometimes you cant see anyone at all.

Cheers

Stuart

cloud = its a botu talent and development of talent. not about whether they can tell a funny jok eor talk about wacky stuff

jester = tough crpwds will come eventually. but to begin with it is probably best not to play to a crowd that will demoralise and perhaps put you off playign lkive again

im gfetting pretty sick of this, it could go on forever

you are both right about everything in the wolrd ever

you guys have been there and doen it all in the music business/industry/trade/company/being in bands/playing gigs etc so you will know far better than anyone. you win this and every other discussion ever

in fact when any bands, acts, promoters, tour bookers, labels, zines etc ask me for help, articles, shows, tours or advice again, ill point them in the direction of you guys

im retiring for good. i hope you guys can fly the flag for scotland, uk, the wolrd without me

jester = tough crpwds will come eventually. but to begin with it is probably best not to play to a crowd that will demoralise and perhaps put you off playign lkive again

I agree about being put off playing live but so could the slagging you've given to bands/singers etc that you decide arent good enough on this board, and it's never stopped you giving your opinion.

Tough crowds will come but if someones wanting to get out their playing live theres only a limited number of promoters in Aberdeen who will put someone acoustic/piano on so if you want to gig regularly it'll come sooner rather than later, all I'm saying is if a good gig of a different genre presents itself - and you think you can handle it, the musician is the only person who can decide that, then it's a good way to get out there to more people. At the end of the day a lot of it depends on how often they want to gig and what they'd like to do with their music etc.

Cheers

Stuart

cloud = its a botu talent and development of talent. not about whether they can tell a funny jok eor talk about wacky stuff

Who said anything about funny jokes?

And it's about talent and developing talent eh? So surely the best way for that talent to develop is to cut their teeth in settings that don't really matter before targetting the gigs that do matter, no? Better to learn how to deal with a drunk heckler on a cold, wet Tuesday night at Drummonds than at a sold out showcase at The Tunnels on a Saturday, right?

And finally, you've realised that I in fact know far more than you will ever know :)

I agree about being put off playing live but so could the slagging you've given to bands/singers etc that you decide arent good enough on this board' date=' and it's never stopped you giving your opinion.

[/quote']

and why should it? if someone plays live and they are no good, what is wrong with saying that they are no good. perhaps singer/songwriters who are new to the game shouldnt be playing on a cold wet tuesday night in drummonds if they arent good enough

and why should it? if someone plays live and they are no good' date=' what is wrong with saying that they are no good. perhaps singer/songwriters who are new to the game shouldnt be playing on a cold wet tuesday night in drummonds if they arent good enough[/quote']

But that's what I'm saying, it's frequently only your opinion they're not good enough, you just happen to vocalise yours very loudly - asis your right - there are bands like Element who have people who like to go and see them and yet you still say they're not good enough. Can't you just accept that just because you think something isnt good enough doesnt mean it's true. People enjoy different aspects of music for different reasons and not everyone agree's with you, maybe if you have a go at someone and it might stop them going up and doing it again then they're never going to get good enough to meet your standards,it's a self fulfilling prophecy - and i know that if someone cant take it they shouldnt be up there BUT everyone has to start somewhere and a bit of understanding sometimes can go a long way. Where do you suggest singer/songwriters who are new to the game should start to build up their experience ? Everyone has to start somewhere and everyone is shaky at times when they start just because of the newness of playing to an audience. Maybe if you didnt get so personal when you are slagging someone/something off then maybe it might come across as a bit more constructive.

I think that the point I was making that's got somewhat lost is that if people are going to have a go anyway - and it doesnt matter how good you are, someone will - then it's something that you have to get used to and therefore taking the gigs that might expose you to a new audience, if you're comfortable with it, can be a good thing. I will concede that I could be wriong about this and am basing it on a few personal experiences where playing the 'different' gig has paid off, but that might be a rarity, but to me I'd think the risk was worth it.

Cheers

Stuart

But that's what I'm saying' date=' it's frequently only your opinion they're not good enough, you just happen to vocalise yours very loudly, there are bands like Element who have people who like to go and see them and yet you still say they're not good enough. Can't you just accept that just because you think something isnt good enough doesnt mean it's true.

[/quote']

sorry to shit on your cornflakes but...are you trying to say that if other people like a band, and i dont, i should accept that they are good? go fish

i dont need to be patronised by someone like you, i know (probably far better than you) whether a band is good at what they do or not, and i dont really judge music on my tastes (which i may add is faaar broader than yours, "awesome" is the word i believe)

People enjoy different aspects of music for different reasons and not everyone agree's with you, maybe if you have a go at someone and it might stop them going up and doing it again then they're never going to get good enough to meet your standards,it's a self fulfilling prophecy - and i know that if someone cant take it they shouldnt be up there BUT everyone has to start somewhere and a bit of understanding sometimes can go a long way.

im sorry but if a band isnt up to touring standard by their 1st gig they dont get a look in

i wouldnt have been employed as chief talent scout for millionaires club records if i couldnt spot potential

Where do you suggest singer/songwriters who are new to the game should start to build up their experience ?

the AECC is an ideal venue for a first gig

Everyone has to start somewhere and everyone is shaky at times when they start just because of the newness of playing to an audience. Maybe if you didnt get so personal when you are slagging someone/something off then maybe it might come across as a bit more constructive.

is thisconstructive enough for you...

"you are a patronising (censored) who is in no position to criticise me and the way i deal with bands/people"

Guest Phantomsmasher

I notice most people who've actualy been on stage at some point and who should all know how nerve wrecking first gigs can be have illustrated this point before me, but here's my angle anyway:

Personaly, if I was going to do that kind of stripped down music, piano based, acoustic ect... It would probably be performing in front of crowds which are more likely to accept what I was playing. Perhaps an open mic in a small cafe/pub or somthing, so concentration on perfecting the music would be my primary focus. Not worth playing less receptive crowds and having the best banter in the world when the music doesn't stand up beside it.

A plus point to doing it this way, would be that as you get better doing the tiny gigs, you (hopefully) pick up fans so the tougher crowds might not be as intimidating when they are ready to face them.

Erm, none!

That ol' cynic's a dirty player!