aberdeen-music

The New Jukebox is Installed!

Flash@TMB

One every 15 years or so The Moorings unveils a new jukebox. Today was one such day :)

The new jukebox can hold up to a whopping 1440 CDs.

Playback is in full bandwidth CD Audio (not MP3 - yuck)!

Selection is via a 19" touchscreen which will be located midway down the bar, where the DJs usually stand.

The day of the hand written inlay card is over So the regulars can breathe a sigh of relief, instead we have to upload inlay cards and track listings for each album. This is time consuming, so please do not expect all 1440 albums to be available on the first day. The selection is a little flakey to start with as there are still 100 CDs in the existing jukebox that will need swapped over, plus at least another 200-300 downstairs waiting to be insertion. The holdup is that we have to type in each track name, artist, year, shoe size, insert a JPEG of the album cover blah blah. Personally I reckon we were better off with the bic pens and coloured card. We'll be working hard to get as many CD installed as possible, but this will take a few weeks. It's only possible to crunch through 25 per day, and we're not on the case EVERY day.

We can include customers CDs, but these must be the original media, in the original packaging.

This is not an 'Internet jukebox' and there is no facility to download tracks from the Internet. Thus we retain some semblence of quality control - remember not everyone has good taste in music, or even good taste, or even taste.

Price is 20p per track. It only accepts 20p, 50p, £1, and £2 coins. Actually that's a lie. It will also accept 1p, 2p, 5p, and 10p, but those won't count towards credits.

There is a queue facility so you can see what's coming up, and how much stuff is waiting to be played. There is a facility for you to jump the queue, but this costs £1 per track extra.

We've been programming in relative levels between CDs to avoid anything sounding too loud or too quiet.

Please be patient because there are likely to be a few teething problems this week. It is conceivable that we may have to temp go back to the old jukebox until we iron everything out. But so far (fingers crossed) it's working fine.

Enjoy!

For anyone interested, bored, or wanting to be bored - here are the technical specs:

The jukebox is homemade/custom in that it has been assembled from various disparate components.

A powerfull Dell (I hate Dell too but they are cheap and solid) PC.

Two of these suckers:

http://www.kintronics.com/drm5004x.html#DRM-5004X

The system could potentially hold even more CDs if we ever bought more of those changers (but there are limits - the cellar is only so big)!

Each changer is kitted out with 2 head units which will make changes instantaneous as it will have the next CD loaded up and ready to go in advance. The dead load time (no CD currently playing) is 4-8 secs... but the jukebox is programmed to cache the first 10 seconds of every track, facilitating instantaneous playback!!! Having 2 units and 4 heads also gives us some resiliance should anything go tits up.

The PC connects into our mixing desk in direct digital AES/EBU via one of these:

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/digi96/digi96pa.htm

We are using some commercial jukebox control software that runs on Windows XP.

Coinage is handled via this:

http://www.microcoin.com/display.asp?entityid=887

And one of these:

http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

The screen has toughened hammer resistent glass. It's also waterproof and designed for use outdoors in a kiosk or ATM:

http://www.tridentdisplays.co.uk/touchscreens/surface_acoustic_wave.html

The sound quality is fantastic, having the CD drives completely isolated from the vibrations helps a lot. It really shows off the rest of the sound system :)

sounds fucking awesome, will have to check it out on satarday (oh, flash, arite if i come to the second:thopught gig on satarday? also the last day smoking is legal if i am not mistaken :'( )

This is not an 'Internet jukebox' and there is no facility to download tracks from the Internet. Thus we retain some semblence of quality control - remember not everyone has good taste in music' date=' or even good taste, or even taste.[/quote']

That's amazing, almost every other club in town with a good old fashioned jukebox has changed theirs to one of the gay internet ones with generic chart stuff and eveyrones 'old favourites'. The RGUunion was the conversion that annoyed me the most, because it was pretty good.

The Ambasador also has one of the CD ones, but it's shit and the staff piss around with it all the time so you never get your songs on. Can't wait to see this bad boy.

It sounds excellent and I have been assured it is easy to use and not complicated' date=' unlike the hidesous monstrosity in the Tilted Wig which seems to eat all your money and play you one song for a fiver.

Bloody thing.

I like the one in the Lampie. Basic and old. Like me.[/quote']

They've put the same one in the Schooner - Basic and Old!!!

Guest Bob Double Jack
It sounds excellent and I have been assured it is easy to use and not complicated' date=' unlike the hidesous monstrosity in the Tilted Wig which seems to eat all your money and play you one song for a fiver.[/quote']

i quite like the one in the wig:up: