aberdeen-music

stupid tuition fees

catherine

what about when you want to then go and study farming, and architecture after that, then a spot of science?...

I'd say it's fair, only being given fees for one degree, otherwise we'd have "perpetual students" who expect to get paid to study, and never get a job (extreme scenario, obviously).

it's a shame, aye, but fair....if you'd have studied law, you'd realise that!....

Nowadays, the only way to get a 2nd degree without paying tution fees is to do a degree in something like social work, where you get paid to do it.

If not, the only other option really is the Open University, because you could theoretically work at the same time, or else you will have to choose to change your degree.

The system is very unfair. The SAAS will not give me a penny for my studies in Europe; in fact, no British 'institution' will give me a centime. However, if I were French, coming to study in Britain, I would be eligible for support. But that's just the way it is, sadly.

i may have mislead people. im not complaining about having to pay the fee's. i knew id have to and would be quite happy to. but its the fact the fee's are 8' date='500. i could afford to pay them if they were 1,700 a year. but not 8,500 a year. thats just ridiculas[/quote']

How on earth can it cost 8,500 A YEAR to study? Law is four years? So that's 34,000 total?! That can't be right? If it is it's terrible.

i may have mislead people. im not complaining about having to pay the fee's. i knew id have to and would be quite happy to. but its the fact the fee's are £8' date='500. i could afford to pay them if they were £1,700 a year. but not £8,500 a year. thats just ridiculas[/quote']

Is that for the two year bridging course? If so, I assume they're charging that on the basis of what they get from the goverment for the 4 year LLB - which is around £16k.

It might make more sense to just do a 4 year LLB after graduating from your current degree? You'll only have to pay the Scottish fee - which is what now, £1200 or something?

edit : I've just read the myspace bulletin you put out. Something really isn't right with that figure...I'd recommend contacting someone else to confirm it before getting downhearted, though.

to clear up for people this is the email i recieved from david lessels who is important in aberdeen uni law -

Dear Catherine

A graduate has to pay tuition fees of (now) £8500 for each year of study for the degree regardless of whether she elects to do the accelerated 2-year LLB or the traditional 3 or 4 year Ordinary or Honours degree. The 4-year LLB Honours would therefore cost a graduate 4x £8500 = £34000 while the accelerated 2-year degree costs £17000.

Regards

David Lessels

but its only for law that it costs that much. if i was to study anything else its not soo bad. im not sure if its just aberdeen thats charges so much. im waiting to find out