aberdeen-music

Euro 2008 qualification draw

Guest five years
Boogie Team? Are they our dance partners?

i knew someone would say something like that' date=' very good :rolleyes:

I'll reserve judgement on England, I prefer to let you guys talk yourselves up

even before all this pish with sven, i didn't expect us to get beyond the 2nd round

now eriksson's got his guaranteed 3million, i don't see us going past the group stages! when people say things like "england could win it" i cringe. because back in the real world, i know there's not a rocket lolly in hell's chance of that ACTUALLY happening. :(

still. i might be going. unlike you boys ;)

now eriksson's got his guaranteed 3million' date=' i don't see us going past the group stages! when people say things like "england could win it" i cringe. because back in the real world, i know there's not a rocket lolly in hell's chance of that ACTUALLY happening. :(

still. i might be going. unlike you boys ;)[/quote']

I couldn't afford the amount of booze necesary to go and watch scotland for any period of time, so it's probably a good thing ;)

England always seem to have problems with their coach in the lead up to major tournaments.

We always get the silly fucking teams in our group. FUCK OFF ITALY ' date=' FUCk YOU FRAnCE, UKRAINE ?? I mean WTF is this all about, seriously. Whatever happened to the piss easy groups.[/quote']

It's the way the seeding works, I'm surprised France and Italy weren't both top seeds though.

Scotland's past record has been atroicous, so we were landed in pot 4 and got this out of the hat :(

And we just had to get the bloody Faroes :down:

None of the groups look particularly easy though, but Scotland absolutely have to finish 3rd at worst..

Guest Bob Double Jack
Im sure there is a conspiracy against Scotland ever reaching the Finals again..lol.

i firmly believe that Scotland will never reach a major finals again in the next 20 years.

Predominantly due to the utter lack of any sort of home grown talent in the mould of Law, Strachan, McLeish, Miller, Dalglish, etc, etc.

Even in England, the only real prospect appears to be Darren Fletcher. Which is a bloody shame. Why can't we find a Rooney or a Walcott?I think it is an SFA conspiracy, which prevents us from finding any real talent at an early age

i firmly believe that Scotland will never reach a major finals again in the next 20 years.

Predominantly due to the utter lack of any sort of home grown talent in the mould of Law' date=' Strachan, McLeish, Miller, Dalglish, etc, etc.

Even in England, the only real prospect appears to be Darren Fletcher. Which is a bloody shame. Why can't we find a Rooney or a Walcott?I think it is an SFA conspiracy, which prevents us from finding any real talent at an early age[/quote']

Too many Playstations......not enough little chaps with ricketts kicking tin cans about like it used to be!!!

(Ahhh...the good old days!!!)

Saying that the future is looking a little rosier under Smith.

Kenny Miller, and Kris Boyd are going to be vital. I wish that little prick McGeady was Scottish.

After a few deep breaths, I can actually see us doing quite well in this group, classed as the group of death. We always seem to perform better against the odds, and with the pressure taken off us a little maybe we can sneak home wins against France, Italy, and Ukraine, and defend like Hell away from home.

My Predictor

Italy - We played them recently and although we lost 2-0 away, we performed really well and lost 2 goals from direct free-kicks. At home we managed to go ahead and hold out for a good while.

Italy (A) - Draw at very best

Italy (H) - A marginal win, or draw. We will not lose this game.

France - These boys are nippy like, they humped us 5-0 a few year ago, but the main stars are beggining to age a bit, and there midfield isn't what it used to be, albeit they still have class and pace. We need to concentrate fully on defensive midfield. We cant let them run through the middle, or let Henry have space. Away from home, Scotland will capitulate if they lose a first half goal(s). If they frustate France, they have a good chance of snatching a draw. At Home, Scotland will need to control the tempo and take the game to them, I would expect France to be very counter attacking in this affair.

France (A) - More than likely lose, but a draw is what we must aim for.

France (H) - I honestly think we can win this game.

Ukraine have Schevkenko, get a few boys to kick him about the park when ever he gets near the ball and he'll be quiet. Exception on set pieces. If we keep the passing sharp and the ball on the deck then it will benefit us, we need some good wing play and deep crosses from full backs.

Ukraine (A) - A cheeky 1-0 win

Ukraine (H) - A win or draw.

Georgia, Hmm, Not sure about these guys, but they don't appear to be a big threat. That'll be the danger! I think they have banana skin potential.

Georgia (A) - Draw/lose

Georgia (H) - Win/Lose. No draw.

Lithuania are a team on the up believe it or not. We played the recently and found it a hard game, physically the Lithuanian's are a match for most teams, whether they have their game will be a on the day decider.

Lithuania (A) - Draw

Lithuania (H) - Win

The good ol' Faroes. With the Faroes there are 2 definates. Either you definately achieve 6 points from them, or you definately have your manager sacked. I think we will walk these 2 games comfertably. Wins all round.

Ok, so according to me we will finish the group on or around 22 points margin. Which I reckon will give us 2nd Place. 1st Going to italy and 3rd going to france.

What? It could happen..

Not a bad observation Bux. My feelings are this though -

France (H) - loss

France (A) - draw

Italy (H) - draw

Italy (A) - loss

Ukraine (H) - draw

Ukraine (A) - loss

Georgia (H) - win

Georgia (A) - win

Lithuania (H) - win

Lithuania (A) - win

Faroes (H) - win

Faroes (A) - draw

A lot will depend on the fixtures agreed - I can see France and Italy wanting to play Scotland last away from home as we're a potential banana skin to them - so they'll want to play us when it doesn't matter. Ideally we'll play a strong team to begin with to take a good result from - a draw against any of the top 3 seeds away from home to begin with will be a good start to the campaign.

We absolutely have to take top points from Georgia, Lithuania and the Faroes - anything less than full points from those three will end our bid. We should do it easily - but as always, the Faroes are a potential banana skin.

As for the Ukraine - Shevchenko will be used to being kicked all over the park, considering he plays in Italy and therefore I don't think it would bother him. I can see them destroying us away from home, but us pulling out a draw at home. We might be able to get two draws out of France or even possibly a win at home - leaving a loss against italy and a draw at home against them.

This would leave us on 24 points, which might not still be enough.

Doing some quick maths with the World Cup groups, the average points gained per 2nd place team was 1.74 a game. If we apply that to the amount of games in our group, 21 points will be enough to secure 2nd. I don't think that'll be enough though - if we assume that Italy, France and Ukraine go all out to make sure that they take maximum points from the bottom 3 seeds, then Scotland could very well play a role in deciding who goes and who doesn't go to Austria/Hungary.

I wouldn't be surprised to see France and Italy draw both their games with each other in order to try and freeze out Ukraine. I suspect with Italy before, they weren't too bothered about Scotland as they were so far ahead anyway. This time will be different - so I dare say we'll see a different italy to the one that turned up last time.

One thing I can't understand - Italy, France and Ukraine all won their World Cup Qualifying groups, so why on earth are they all together in this group? This group really has made a mockery of the seeding, anyway.

Either way, Scotland is in by far the best group for entertainment value.

Agreed on entertainmrnt value. I can totally see Georgia doing bad things to us' date=' but us doing bad things to the top 3 in there. So it will be fun come the day were back in here either Rapturous over Qualification, or the usual.[/quote']

I love the un-swayable optimism of a true supporter.....

Were gubbed lets face it...:down:

Guest neil ex

I wish that little prick McGeady was Scottish.

He is Scottish but McGeady's got an Irish grandparent I think, which allows him to be a 'proper tim' and play for ROI..

I'll be in Dublin around noon towmorrow as it happens! :D

I reckon -

France (H) - L

France (A) - L

Italy (H) - D

Italy (A) - L

Ukraine (H) - W

Ukraine (A) - L

Georgia (H) - W

Georgia (A) - D

Lithuania (H) - W

Lithuania (A) - L

Faroes (H) - W

Faroes (A) - D

Despite this pessimistic forecast, I plan to take in most of the home schedule (I have promised my mother a trip to Hampden at some point after all......).

I reckon -

France (H) - L

France (A) - L

Italy (H) - D

Italy (A) - L

Ukraine (H) - W

Ukraine (A) - L

Georgia (H) - W

Georgia (A) - D

Lithuania (H) - W

Lithuania (A) - L

Faroes (H) - W

Faroes (A) - D

QUOTE]

Optimism at it's finest Scourge.. Lets face it, I think this predictor is more realistic than the others... lmfao.

I reckon -

France (H) - L

France (A) - L

Italy (H) - D

Italy (A) - L

Ukraine (H) - W

Ukraine (A) - L

Georgia (H) - W

Georgia (A) - D

Lithuania (H) - W

Lithuania (A) - L

Faroes (H) - W

Faroes (A) - D

Despite this pessimistic forecast' date=' I plan to take in most of the home schedule (I have promised my mother a trip to Hampden at some point after all......).[/quote']

You think we'll lose two games to France, beat the Ukraine at home and draw with the Faroes? Get a life

You think we'll lose two games to France' date=' beat the Ukraine at home and draw with the Faroes? Get a life[/quote']

Losing to France wouldn't be shock, given how valuable the points will be for them. Beating Ukraine...well, maybe. And as for the Faroes? They know now that Scotland are rattled by them, so a draw wouldn't be a huge surprise.