aberdeen-music

n00b Pedal Questions.

Paulscoconutass

1) What's the name of a pedal that - i suppose - would go at the end of your set-up which creates a constant, manually set, level of sound no matter how quiet or hard you're playing? (If it's called a leveler, i'll kill myself). Or is there any way that you can change your set up to minimise the difference between the sound level of one string and all 6 strings?

2) Can you buy, or make, a pedal that records a short piece and plays it on a loop. The idea of each click being: Record, Looped Playback, Erase, Record... I know certain multi-pedal things have this feature but arsed spending shitloads on one feature.

3) What's a reliable, but not-too-pricey fuzz pedal?

1) What's the name of a pedal that - i suppose - would go at the end of your set-up which creates a constant' date=' manually set, level of sound no matter how quiet or hard you're playing? (If it's called a leveler, i'll kill myself). Or is there any way that you can change your set up to minimise the difference between the sound level of one string and all 6 strings?

2) Can you buy, or make, a pedal that records a short piece and plays it on a loop. The idea of each click being: Record, Looped Playback, Erase, Record... I know certain multi-pedal things have this feature but arsed spending shitloads on one feature.

3) What's a reliable, but not-too-pricey fuzz pedal?[/quote']

1. an EQ?

2. http://www.zvex.com/junky.html - what the demo video

3. dunno

1) What's the name of a pedal that - i suppose - would go at the end of your set-up which creates a constant' date=' manually set, level of sound no matter how quiet or hard you're playing? (If it's called a leveler, i'll kill myself). Or is there any way that you can change your set up to minimise the difference between the sound level of one string and all 6 strings?

3) What's a reliable, but not-too-pricey fuzz pedal?[/quote']

1: Compressor?

3: Do you mean fuzz or distortion, there is a difference?

Big Muff's are reliable Chris? o_O

Guest DustyDeviada

I thought compressor for the first one too, although the general opinion seems to be that it's best to put it first in the chain.

It won't completely level out your volume though.

3: Do you mean fuzz or distortion' date=' there is a difference? [/quote']

Definately fuzz, i've got an Overdrive pedal that does the trick already.

It won't completely level out your volume though.

With my O-D pedal there's a massive sound level difference between playing Power/Barre chrods and single notes / string riffs. Just something that could minimise this would be good.

A Compressor is what you're probably thinking of, but as already stated, this won't entirely level out your sound. Compressors are also usually the first in line of all your effects. I had a Boss one once upon a time and I wasn't a fan, sucked away a bit of tone.

Perhaps a proper setup of you guitar would set the string heights properly and even out your sound a bit? Perhaps not.

A reliable Fuzz pedal? A Rat would be a good bet.... keep an eye on eBay for something

A reliable Fuzz pedal? A Rat would be a good bet.... keep an eye on eBay for something

I wouldn't say a RAT' date=' sound wise, is a fuzz pedal though, it's sound is more like distortion.

Paul, if you can afford it, buy this: [url']http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/index.cfm?method=site.product&product_id=2429

If not, this is a very cheap alternative:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOD-Classic-Fuzz-FX52_W0QQitemZ7384194897QQcategoryZ22669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I owned one years ago and it's a nice fuzz, very underated!

1. a compressor should help level out the sound a bit and make it all a bit more even, check the Boss CS-3, MXR Dynacomp and Marshall ED-1 for some decently priced compressors

2. You would be wanting a loop pedal, or Delay with a looping function, Something like the loop function on a Line6 DL4, Boss do a looper pedal as one of the twin pedals and have just brought out a huge floorboard for looping and playing on the fly, or you get things like the ZVex lofi loop junky or Maneco microloopers, a decent loop pedal will cost you...

3. Have a look at the ProCo Rat, it sounds awesome, completely solid and not too expensive, or the Electro Harmonix Big Muff. those are two of the big pedals. The Zoom ultra fuzz is an awesome pedal too, not in production any more, but should be fairly cheap secondhand

David

[/quote']

1)Relax, put the knife away. It's called a limiter, which is a special case of a compressor.

I wouldn't recommend it being last in your EFX chain though. First, unlessyou know what you're doing/ aiming for.

3. Have a look at the ProCo Rat' date=' it sounds awesome, completely solid and not too expensive, or the Electro Harmonix Big Muff.[/quote']

Once again, the rat aint a fuzz, it is a distortion pedal. It might sound good, but not if you're looking for fuzz.

Check out this myspace page for that pedal I suggested... www.myspace.com/mkii

1)Relax' date=' put the knife away. It's called a limiter, which is a special case of a compressor.

I wouldn't recommend it being last in your EFX chain though. First, unlessyou know what you're doing/ aiming for.[/quote']

A limiter would be no use on a guitar because guitars have such a wide dynamic range, in order to get all the quiet notes the same level as the loud notes you'd be limiting it so low the noise would kill the signal...so you would need to squash the shit out of it first with a compressor to get it sounding flat, then limit that dynamic range (which will be very small)....that way everything from the slightest tap on a string to a full on powerchord will come out all squashed and sounding like mud, but providing Paul's after. It won't help with individual strings, but tilting your pickup to the left or right can help sort this out.

One I would say about Big Muffs is that in my experiance, each one I've heard has sounded slightly different. Some have had a really harsh fuzz tone, where some have been alot smoother or had less fuzz. So I'd try before you buy. In my opinion, the best Big Muff you can get is the green Russian one with the big black knobs.

A limiter would be no use on a guitar because guitars have such a wide dynamic range' date=' in order to get all the quiet notes the same level as the loud notes you'd be limiting it so low the noise would kill the signal...so you would need to squash the shit out of it first with a compressor to get it sounding flat, then limit that dynamic range (which will be very small)....that way everything from the slightest tap on a string to a full on powerchord will come out all squashed and sounding like mud, but providing Paul's after. It won't help with individual strings, but tilting your pickup to the left or right can help sort this out.[/quote']

I wasn't suggesting using a limiter (although it does read like that), I was referring to using compression at the start of the signal chain.

The only use I've ever found for limiters is a bit of speaker protection.

Once again' date=' the rat aint a fuzz, it is a distortion pedal. It might sound good, but not if you're looking for fuzz.

Check out my myspace page for that pedal I suggested, tracks 2 - 4... [url']www.myspace.com/sundaramusic :)

I would definately disagree with that

At the lower levels of the gain control is more a distortion than fuzz sound, but definately with a fuzzy edge to it, not a 'normal' distortion, with the gain up above halfway or so it is definately into fuzz territory

It is a different fuzz sound to a fuzz face or big muff, in the same way a Boss DS-1 sounds different to a Marshall Govnor, but still a fuzz imho

really, the best advice would be to pop down to RnB or Prosound and try one for yourself

David

Definately fuzz' date=' i've got an Overdrive pedal that does the trick already.

With my O-D pedal there's a massive sound level difference between playing Power/Barre chrods and single notes / string riffs. Just something that could minimise this would be good.[/quote']

A Wyllie Moonrock. It sounds great for dist and fuzz

I would definately disagree with that

At the lower levels of the gain control is more a distortion than fuzz sound' date=' but definately with a fuzzy edge to it, not a 'normal' distortion, with the gain up above halfway or so it is definately into fuzz territory

It is a different fuzz sound to a fuzz face or big muff, in the same way a Boss DS-1 sounds different to a Marshall Govnor, but still a fuzz imho

really, the best advice would be to pop down to RnB or Prosound and try one for yourself

David[/quote']

I have owned several Rats and I disagree that it is a fuzz. Newer ones definitely have a more artifical edge to them compared to older RAT 2s. Just because they crap out with the filter open and too much gain doesn't make them a fuzz. The distortion is smoother with less harmonics.