aberdeen-music

Philip Glass

Hog

I also recommend all the names cited by ragudave. Plus Gavin Bryars - his 'Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet' makes me cry every time I listen to it.

what part? ho ho...

I've got that disc, and I need to be in a "very special mood" to listen to it...

I've not heard the Donkey Rhubarb CD (Glass and Aphex Twin)...anyone got it?

what part? ho ho...

I've got that disc' date=' and I need to be in a "very special mood" to listen to it...

I've not heard the Donkey Rhubarb CD (Glass and Aphex Twin)...anyone got it?[/quote']

Heard some Glass/Aphex Twin from Myspace. If you do a search on Philip Glass there is some stuff:up:

Forget Star Wars. Forget Lord of the Rings. Try his mammoth operatic trilogy: Akhnaten; Satyagraha and Einstein On The Beach. These three operas cover the topics of religion; politics and science respectively. Though exceptionally long, the music is breathtakingly stunning throughout.

Though openly criticised for being populist - even on the aforementioned Culture Show interview ( she, the interviewer, was well out of her depth. Glass was on a completely different intellectual plane and simply confounded her) - his music is amongst the greatest written last century.

There is also a third film to compliment Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi. It is Naqoyqatsi (life as War). It features the beautiful cello playing of Yo-Yo Ma!

I would actually be up for checking out that Trilogy Josef. Certainly wish I saw that interview you are talking about.

Similar artist (sort of) Carter Burwell. I know that Hynes from Project Ven Hell likes his stuff. The sound track to the movie "The man who wasnt there" is amazing. Actually, it is a really good film. It features Billy Bob Thornton and is in black and white.

Alan, who is this Terry Riley?

Cheers for recommendations guys.

Terry Riley

who is this Terry Riley?

For info about Terry Riley' date=' there's an overview here

"California composer Terry Riley launched what is now known as the Minimalist movement with his revolutionary classic "In C" in 1964. This seminal work provided the conception for a form comprised of interlocking repetitive patterns that was to change the course of 20th century music and strongly influence the works of Steve Reich, Philip Glass and John Adams as well as rock groups such as The Who, The Soft Machine, Curved Air, Tangerine Dream and many others. In the 60's and 70's he turned his attention to solo works for electronic keyboards and soprano saxophone and pioneered the use of various kinds of tape delay in live performance resulting in another set of milestone works, "A Rainbow in Curved Air", "Poppy Nogood and the Phantom Band", "The Persian Surgery Dervishes" and "Shri Camel". These hypnotic, multi-layered, polymetric, brightly orchestrated, eastern flavored improvisations set the stage for the New Age movement that was to appear a decade or so later."

and a whole site on the man and his works at http://www.terryriley.com/

For info about Terry Riley' date=' there's an overview here

"California composer Terry Riley launched what is now known as the Minimalist movement with his revolutionary classic "In C" in 1964. This seminal work provided the conception for a form comprised of interlocking repetitive patterns that was to change the course of 20th century music and strongly influence the works of Steve Reich, Philip Glass and John Adams as well as rock groups such as The Who, The Soft Machine, Curved Air, Tangerine Dream and many others. In the 60's and 70's he turned his attention to solo works for electronic keyboards and soprano saxophone and pioneered the use of various kinds of tape delay in live performance resulting in another set of milestone works, "A Rainbow in Curved Air", "Poppy Nogood and the Phantom Band", "The Persian Surgery Dervishes" and "Shri Camel". These hypnotic, multi-layered, polymetric, brightly orchestrated, eastern flavored improvisations set the stage for the New Age movement that was to appear a decade or so later."

and a whole site on the man and his works at http://www.terryriley.com/

Thanks Balvack *goes and checks the site*

*edit* yey! Skullets!

conner2.jpg

Alan' date=' who is this Terry Riley?

Cheers for recommendations guys.[/quote']

He's an American composer...very early minimalist stuff from the mid 60s. The 'classics' are 'In C' and 'A Rainbow in Curved Air'. For 'In C' he gathered together heaps of pals and got them playing simple note patterns in the key of C, but as they all drop out and re-enter it gently changes sound...mesmerising listening.

He's an American composer...very early minimalist stuff from the mid 60s. The 'classics' are 'In C' and 'A Rainbow in Curved Air'. For 'In C' he gathered together heaps of pals and got them playing simple note patterns in the key of C' date=' but as they all drop out and re-enter it gently changes sound...mesmerising listening.[/quote']

edit....whoops...didn't realise there was a page 2, and that Balvack had already answered!

I would actually be up for checking out that Trilogy Josef. Certainly wish I saw that interview you are talking about.

Try HMV, they've been selling them on the cheap for the last couple of years. Einstein on the Beach is a 4cd set used to be 40, but you may pick it up now for about 15 or less.

I'll be in town tomorrow so will have a look and see if I spot them.

Just 'googled' Carter Burwell. Nice.