aberdeen-music

Fuck your previous guitar idols

bryn

To be honest That rusty cooly guy isnt that great, i have seen a few of his wee video things and its all shite. all he can do is play fast, there is no melody, harmony or anything realy musical about that. All he is doing is playing scales/arpegios at extreme speed.

Yes the speed he can play at is impresive but musicaly it sucks and any fool can leard a few scales and spend his life in his room going over and over and over them.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest That rusty cooly guy isnt that great' date=' i have seen a few of his wee video things and its all shite. all he can do is play fast, there is no melody, harmony or anything realy musical about that. All he is doing is playing scales/arpegios at extreme speed.

Yes the speed he can play at is impresive but musicaly it sucks and any fool can leard a few scales and spend his life in his room going over and over and over them.[/quote']

That is the most utterly atrocious thing I have ever heard... try listening to his work in his band first.

Jesus Christ...

i'm actually laughing at that post hahaha - especially the part that says "any fool can leard (sic) a few scales)". That isn't even anywhere close to being his best video....

i'm actually laughing at that post hahaha - especially the part that says "any fool can leard (sic) a few scales)". That isn't even anywhere close to being his best video....

This is true, guys like Rusty, Becker etc have reached ridiculous levels of technical playing. Its awesome to watch, I just feel aspiring to this kind of thing is worthless as you will never be as good. With jazz there is a much more prominent element of individuality, in that, you can be leagues below the pros but generally still offer something creative and original.

That is the most utterly atrocious thing I have ever heard... try listening to his work in his band first.

Jesus Christ...

I'm not even gonna bother, you remain a joke to everyone.

haha i'm afraid you're actually going to have to explain this' date=' as right now it's a meaningless comment to me.

What band are you in again?? ;)[/quote']

You and your band are the joke to which people are laughing.

For example, look at what hearing your demo did to this poor fellow!

1DSCF0039.JPG

And this old dear's reaction on hearing about your Tunnels gig fiasco

_38070916_laughing150.jpg

That's exactly the same as saying any fool can lock himself in his bedroom and learn to beat the crap out of Bruce Lee.

Idiot.

No, its not the same thing at all.

That's exactly the same as saying any fool can lock himself in his bedroom and learn to beat the crap out of Bruce Lee.

Idiot.

I don't think its a defined as you can say 'any' fool can shred, but undoubtedly, 'many' can, and many do.

Watching that Rusty Cooley video gives me a headache, its old and its boring.

Idiot.

Dude you have no idea what kind of person Bruce lee was, he was amazing. He will be remembered by millions of people forever. Read up on him and leard a wee bit about him.

Comparing him to Rusty Cooley is stupid. Who will only be rememberd by fools like yourself.

Its like comparing Victor Wooten/stu hamm etc... to my current bass playing

Like Primus to Hex Pens

or the best one My Minds Weapon to Ascension :laughing::up:

empty-words, I've deleted your post again. Please do not attempt to post it a 3rd time. This is your second warning. If you continue to try and start a personal argument publicly on the forum you will find yourself unable to post for a while.

The same goes for anyone else trying to stir up an argument on this thread. Any further off topic posts containing personal attacks will be removed.

This is true' date=' guys like Rusty, Becker etc have reached ridiculous levels of technical playing. Its awesome to watch, I just feel aspiring to this kind of thing is worthless as you will never be as good. With jazz there is a much more prominent element of individuality, in that, you can be leagues below the pros but generally still offer something creative and original.[/quote']

I agree and disgree with this post, What rusty is playing isnt technical, its just fast.

Stanley Jordan is technical, listen to some of his stuff.

you can do anything you put your mind to.

ie. when i heard Classical thumb by Victor Wooten i never thought i could play anything like it. After watching his video i got the idea behind double thumbing and started to learn it, i can now play most of the song full speed (crotchet+134) and the double thumbing part at about 100. I am no amazing bass player, Its all just practice.

The video with the guitar and bass thing, the bass player isnt technical at all, he is just very fast.

Try and get a hold of a michael manring cd, many would consider him to be the most technical bass player around. sounds nothing like all that rust cooley pish.

And yes, Jazz kicks ass.

Dude you have no idea what kind of person Bruce lee was' date=' he was amazing. He will be remembered by millions of people forever. Read up on him and leard a wee bit about him.[/quote']

What exactly did he do that was that inspiring? He made films, beat up people and died in mysterious circumstances and his legend grew with the years and someone got rich out of it.

Did he end poverty, invent a cure for cancer or win the nobel peace prize?

Bruce Lee was a talented bastard when it came to martial arts, but at the end of the day, anyone could emulate him with enough practice and ability. Whether his charisma could be emulated is another thing, but well, don't musicians have that too?

Bruce Lee founded a completely new style of martial art (Jeet Kun Do) as well as popularising martial arts in general for the first time. His achievements as a teacher and moderniser of traditional chinese martial arts are enough to make him a legend in the MA community alone. Add to that his achievements in film and you have a life and influence without parallel in the history of martial arts (perhaps only Wong Fei Hung would come close).

Yet again Cloud I feel you've just stuck your oar in without knowing much about what you're talking about.

But Chris, what did he actually do that changed things? In my book, he's comparable to the Gracies with their Brazilian Ju-Jitsu and (inital) leading role in MMA in the early years. Doesn't make him a legend, though - as the Gracie family have shown, your legend only survives as long as someone doesn't end it. Unfortunately for them, various beatings handed out has ended that legend somewhat.

I'm not convinced that Bruce Lee would be considered a legend if he was still alive. He was without a shadow of a doubt brilliant at his art, but in my opinion JKD is more of a public relations success than anything else.

A quick google incidentally shows that JKD hasn't had much success in the MMA world by people claiming to practice it - so again, was it really that good, or has his image simply been brilliantly marketed?

Edit : I find it hard to take Lee to be a huge deal considering the marketing and hype machine that surrounds him, even now. Lee is probably unmatched for his film achievements, but even then, look at other people who have brought it forward since then. I don't think Lee would have been viewed in the same light if he was a broken down old man today - look at how a generation of people are growing up, knowing Ali for having Parkinson's disease, not for his achievements in the boxing ring. My feeling is that Lee would be viewed the same way.

Anyway, anyone can become a shredder or an insanely good martial artist. Not everyone can have the charisma to exploit it, though.

edit 2 : Googling around, there seems to be a lot of opinion one way or another on Lee. From what I can see though, Lee never fought in tournaments, which to me makes him lose a lot of credibility. So it's probably safe to say that although the guy had great ideas (it seems he did realise the benefits of cross training) and that he was insanely charismatic, he wasn't a great in the sense of competition, which devalues his legacy considerably for me.

ah you're falling into that old "but it doesn't work in MMA trap". MMA is a very restrictive environment and it's designed to favour specific arts. Most MMA is based on a format developed by the gracies as a promotional vehicle for their form of BJJ. They designed the format so it favoured ground fighting and hence they (and their fighters) dominated that rea throughout the 90s. Using MMA to compare styles is a very flawed tactic. Would an MMA fighter succeed in sanshou? I think it's unlikely for the same reason that TCM fighters don't do very well in MMA.

You can say JKD hasn't had the success of other MA styles. It's a matter of opinion I guess. I think there are a lot of JKD schools using the name that are really teaching Wing Chun, while the reverse is also true. I'm fairly sure there are many Wing Chun schools that are teaching a more stripped down version based on Bruce Lee's work. But what Bruce Lee really did was get rid of many of the taboos relating to the teaching of traditional chinese martial arts to westerners. Without him I don't think you would have seen the spread of Kung Fu and Karate through the 70s and 80s and the spread of other traditional arts such as Tae Kwon Do and Aikido. Even today he continues to inspire countless people to take up these pursuits. When I used to do Hung Ga there was a fair few students who idolised Bruce Lee and saw in him a mentality of bettering themselves physically which inspired them to work through the (considerable) pain of early training to get to a higher level of performance.

over rated

I can't stand watching Bruce Lee films,they cheapen and make martial arts look rediculous,all those stupid gurns he does look idiotic and the choreography is often laughable.I have a black belt in cooking ...kill you with one chop.

Is that Kung Fu?

Nah he's only had 3 pints.