aberdeen-music

Immigrants, Not Briton's, Must Adapt

Guest Savant

Guest MerryChristmas

Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then traveling home, grabbing an Indian curry, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a tv made in Japan. And the most British thing of all? Suspicion of anything foreign.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see all this political correctness gone mad stuff, it doesn't exist to anywhere near the degree everyone thinks it does. it's been seized on by those trying to argue for stricter controls of immigration and those justifying dodgy attitudes and jokes until it's been promoted as some kind of plague sweeping the nation. the truth is barely any of that banning christmas nonsense has actually happened and any instances i have managed to find on it seemed to be solely perpetrated by jobsworths on their own mad initiative and it was stopped before it actually happened. the press then picked up on it and suddenly it became fact.

frankly, i don't buy the phrase political correctness either. where i come from we just call it respect.

this thread can only go downhill. i can see it turning into yet another 10 page thread of ignorant arseholes repeating the political correctness gone mad mantra until everyone gets fed up and goes home.

After hearing that the Birmingham council changed its opinion and let

a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered.

This claim is absurd. Birmingham city council has absolutely no baring in anything to do with driving licences. To the best of my knowledge, driving licences are given out by the Driving Standards Agencym a national body.

The 2nd link in the above post shows the extent to which Craig's article is falsified and has no grounds for the claims made. It is simply copied from an American website with key words such as 'the State of Florda' replaced with 'Birmingham City Council'

I dismiss all claims made in the original topic post as urban legends and I agree with Daveofficer that political correctness does not exist to the extent which is suggested in our right wing tabloids, such as The Sun and Daily Mail.

Personally, I would much rather have a multi cultural Britain than racist thugs.

I think it's a bit weird how immigrants are all housed together in 'communities' surely if people are wanting to move here they want to intigrate with us locals?

I know from working in the doctors surgery that there are some cultures where a woman wouldn't be allowed to learn to speak English - In fact she isn't really allowed to speak to anyone outside her family unit without permission from her husband. If we are going to accept these people into our country, then we have to be tolerant of their culture too. If someone is brought up with a certain set of rules and values then they are rooted into that persons morals for life, no matter what that person does or where they live. You can't deny anybody that.

I think all the racism stems from fear of the unknown, we need to be better educated.

Guest Savant
This claim is absurd. Birmingham city council has absolutely no baring in anything to do with driving licences. To the best of my knowledge' date=' driving licences are given out by the Driving Standards Agencym a national body.

[/quote']

Yeah it's the DVLA. I'm surprised no one (including myself) picked up on this before!

I think Dave Officer's right tho; the points raised in the 'letter' are designed to outrage the reader when they're actually not true, or not that big a deal...

see all this political correctness gone mad stuff' date=' it doesn't exist to anywhere near the degree everyone thinks it does. it's been seized on by those trying to argue for stricter controls of immigration and those justifying dodgy attitudes and jokes until it's been promoted as some kind of plague sweeping the nation. the truth is barely any of that banning christmas nonsense has actually happened and any instances i have managed to find on it seemed to be solely perpetrated by jobsworths on their own mad initiative and it was stopped before it actually happened. the press then picked up on it and suddenly it became fact.

frankly, i don't buy the phrase political correctness either. where i come from we just call it respect.

this thread can only go downhill. i can see it turning into yet another 10 page thread of ignorant arseholes repeating the political correctness gone mad mantra until everyone gets fed up and goes home.[/quote']

Very true. Being "PC" is just analyzing subjects until it gets stupid. Anyone who has common sense should know that you dont call a Pakistani person a "Paki"a Chinese person a "Chinky" a black person a "Darkie" etc. Its very simple really. To make a rediculous uber analysis of this is partly boiled up by the media IMHO which in turn makes people afraid to even speak about colour, race, etc in a positive manner

I'm interested to know what exactly this "British Culture" that immigrants are supposed to adapt to is meant to be.

Indeed' date=' just how far are they supposed to "fit in"?

Its funny how some people think that Immigrants should "fit in" by doing the low paid jobs that a lot of British people dont want to do because of the labour intensive work and low pay. Sometimes "fitting in" is a green light for bosses to take advantage of people who have fled their country of origin.

I think it's a bit weird how immigrants are all housed together in 'communities' surely if people are wanting to move here they want to intigrate with us locals?

Yep, that is another example of "fitting in"

Guest tv tanned
I think Dave Officer's right tho; the points raised in the 'letter' are designed to outrage the reader when they're actually not true' date=' or not that big a deal...[/quote']

And yet, earlier you said this:

My opinion of the statement is that it raises some valid points

So, either they're valid or they're not that big a deal. Which one?

I realise you complain that I pick on you, but maybe if you didn't contradict yourself so readily there would be no need.

Guest tv tanned
Its funny how some people think that Immigrants should "fit in" by doing the low paid jobs that a lot of British people dont want to do because of the labour intensive work and low pay. Sometimes "fitting in" is a green light for bosses to take advantage of people who have fled their country of origin.

Yes, the same people who bemoan immigrants "sponging off our benefits" soon change their refrain to immigrants "stealing our jobs".

Yes' date=' the same people who bemoan immigrants "sponging off our benefits" soon change their refrain to immigrants "stealing our jobs".[/quote']

Im sure these people wouldnt be laughing if the entire British Indian community stopped working, resulting in a loss of 3 Billion per year, i.e. Britian would financially die.:up:

"

It's funny but I always think of Immigrants as being hard working motivated people who go to Uni, start their own business, become doctors etc. I think they are a lot less lazy than us brits and therefore do quite well for themselves. Because of this, some people get jealous me thinks.

Guest tv tanned

most of them do work very hard, because a lot of them have come from severely impoverished nations, and they do not come from a background where they have access to the home comforts which we enjoy here.

Guest Savant

So' date=' either they're valid or they're not that big a deal. Which one?

I realise you complain that I pick on you, but maybe if you didn't contradict yourself so readily there would be no need.[/quote']

The main reason I think is valid is the language one. I don't like being shouted at over the phone in my place of work by someone who doesn't speak much English and is annoyed because I can't understand them. (and yes, if English speaking people do that in Spain, it's just as bad).

What I meant it my later post was that points like 'immigrants complaining about our flag, our way of life' etc are intended by the writer to strike a chord with the reader should he or she beleive it. Of course, you and I know that in reality, no-one's complaining about our flag or our way of life.

Guest tv tanned

Not really, they still show Dad's Army with Corporal Jones talking about the "fuzzy wuzzies". That was the way people referred to things in those days, I don't see why there is any reason to censor such things.

I have more of a problem with the Union Jack than most immigrants I'd be willing to bet.

Wouldn't surprise me.

As a random aside, I was looking at the stuff for the Citizenship Ceremonies and the "test" that they have to undergo. I think it's safe to say that I was completely and utterly offended by the whole thing - loads of references to "Britishness", oaths to the Queen (errr....) and the playing of God Save The Queen (fuck off..). Do you know what anthem ACC is playing at their ceremonies?

I think one of the thing that raises people's anger is things like the housing provided for "members of the chinese community" at Linksfield - why should one race get ahead of the housing queue when there's a shortage of decent, cheap accomodation as it is? Things like this should be eliminted - the people should be treated as if they're Scottish, British, whatever - and that should mean having to get it on the same grounds as everyone else.

The problem this country is facing is the fact that people are starting to become scared to apply the rules equally for fear of being branded "racist" or whatever - which is almost definitely originally a media creation.

One thing : it fucking pisses me off when you see helplines/advice leaflets/etc in different languages, but they can't cater for our own minority languages (welsh, gaelic, ulster-scots, irish). I can't remeber the website off hand, some drugs website, but it offered advice in loads of different languages - excluding our own official languages. Ridiculous, really.

Wouldn't surprise me.

As a random aside' date=' I was looking at the stuff for the Citizenship Ceremonies and the "test" that they have to undergo. I think it's safe to say that I was completely and utterly offended by the whole thing - loads of references to "Britishness", oaths to the Queen (errr....) and the playing of God Save The Queen (fuck off..). Do you know what anthem ACC is playing at their ceremonies?

I think one of the thing that raises people's anger is things like the housing provided for "members of the chinese community" at Linksfield - why should one race get ahead of the housing queue when there's a shortage of decent, cheap accomodation as it is? Things like this should be eliminted - the people should be treated as if they're Scottish, British, whatever - and that should mean having to get it on the same grounds as everyone else.

The problem this country is facing is the fact that people are starting to become scared to apply the rules equally for fear of being branded "racist" or whatever - which is almost definitely originally a media creation.

One thing : it fucking pisses me off when you see helplines/advice leaflets/etc in different languages, but they can't cater for our own minority languages (welsh, gaelic, ulster-scots, irish). I can't remeber the website off hand, some drugs website, but it offered advice in loads of different languages - excluding our own official languages. Ridiculous, really.[/quote']

our official language is english not gaelic or ulster-scots. and i doubt there is any gaelic speakers left in this country who can't speak english so get a grip. there's much more pressing issues regarding the teaching of traditional languages than whether or not a leaflet about flu jabs is in doric.

This is such BS. Let's take back what is ours, lets be uncooperative towards guests in our country..Fucking moronic tbh!!! Why don't we start grunting and hunting fresh deer, fuck it why don't we live in caves!!!!!!

Like last year a chinese guy got put in a coma after being beaten up outside a nightclub in the deen, and this went on for weeks. Because he was chinese the media had a feel day, saying that 'this is the wake-up call for our poor relations with other cultures" ... If the same thing happened to me for instance, it would be a headline for a day then more than likley forgot about for the rest of the year untill I woke up, but becasue there's such strain for us to be aware of this, it's in our headlines every day, fucks sake, just let it go.

There is far to much pressure on our unadapted society to uphold the prestige of 'our' country, this is BS. We should be welcoming other cultures with open arms 'so 2 speak' and strengthining our relations with the pakistanis, the chinese, whatever...these people are made to feel like outcasts from our society because we can't accept change!!. We think that the evolution of society stopped at Britain and that was that. But becasue we are so highly strung and proud of our ways, allbeit, flawed ways, we feel like we have the right to pretty much persicute these people, who are doing nothing more than us, and deserve the same as us.

You hear about pakistanis on every street shop corner etc for a laugh.. and no doubt we moan to the high heavens, but ffs, these guys are willing to work hard for what they get, they have a great work ethic, and maybe it's about time we stopped acting like we own this piece of shit land and let the people who are willing to put in the overtime get an equal share of the pie. After all who's laughing now?

You speak about Britain being a multi-national country....that aint the half of it guys, really, I honestly think that half of you are on a differant planet sometimes with this shit you speak. Let people be people and let them live the way they want to. Who gives a fuck, if a woman is allowed to cover her face for a passport... are we ever gonna see her? Or whatever! No. Let bygones be bygones and let the real workers get their just-desserts.

You all need to realise that the media is nothing more than higher education, it may be there to learn, but it doesn't make it necesserialy true. Like for instance, If I was to tell you that the world is owned and run by lizards you'd all say "cornhill", but you proove to me that it isn't. You cant becasue the media is your gospel.

RArrrRG - Fuck it. Alex Jones, Bohemian Grove Owl, All seeing eye, Dr Joseef Menglar (S.C), Rupert Murdoch, skull & crossbones, scroll & key, .... k.... just some power words for you to search in google.

Learn about your own culture, before you take the podium and slag others.. If you knew half of what I knew about this stupid fucking culture you'd be thinking twice.

Oh and btw... We are all one!!! Big fucking blow to the arms industry I realise, but hey!!

And breath...