aberdeen-music

The end for tabs on the net....

Monk Rocker

Surely they cant stop that because it's not a copyright infringement - it's simply someone's interpretation of a song.

Mr Keiser sounds like a complete wanker (" ..Throw in some jail time too").

Are they going to crack down on people showing their friends how to play songs too?

I get a lotta classical guitar stuff off the net (usually more accurate than tab). There just isn't anywhere to buy it (I know Bruce Millers has a selection, but nothing if you are better than Grade 5!). I'm very sad indeed, time to do some serious downloading before it's too late.

I think maybe there will be sites set up in different countries to avoid the law, you never know your luck.

To be perfectly honest I couldn't give a shit. I never use tabs. Waste of time. I work out most songs I want to learn by ear. The ones I really can't get, if I'm really that desperate I'll buy the book or get a lend of it. But I do think this is a load of bull. And to Soundian's post, I think it's illegal to profit from live recordings of covers, but I'm not sure what the stance is on profiting from covers from just a live set.

Andy

Not if the venue has an entertainments license...

...but I'm almost certain you're aware of that. Got a bad feeling you're implying something thats going right over my head here :(

An ents licence is all about local licencing laws, nothing to do with music.

After a quick google, looks like I'm right, but in Britain copyright holders rely on the PRS to collect fees for performances of their material (which explains why cover/tribute bands don't get shafted).

In theory the PRS (Performing Rights Society) should collect money from the venue to pay the songwriter every time one of his songs is played. (Some venues, eg The Lemon Tree, will ask bands to fill out a form stating what songs they will be playing and who wrote them.) In practice due to the logistics involved the songwriter will only get anything from really big gigs.

Most local type cover bands (shudder) are too insignificant to be worth the effort of collecting money from. They should really be paying for the privilege of making money from other people's songs, but they basically slip under the radar.