aberdeen-music

Instrumentation...

Guest Philip

Guest Philip

I'm curious as to why more bands dont experiment with different instrumentation.

There are so many instruments/sounds available, why limit yourself to just guitars?

I recon it comes down to finding the right people.

Weve tried out people on keyboards and they just didn't work

on a personal level.

At the mo we're recording the extra stuff ourselves

and then playing over it. We're also trying to get hold of

a drum module so we can trigger samples and the likes.

Its not all down to not experimenting, its not being able

To find the right people

Drakes tomorrow night with the real shocks and plan a

For a taster for those interested.

Guest stuartmaxwell

perhaps because instruments cost money as does learning to play such instruments

plus, people may not be interested in other instruments

Guest Neubeatz
Originally posted by stuartmaxwell:

data thieves

pottedheid

heard many good things

Well Stu, flattery will get you everywhere,

with out wanting to sound like a kissass, I thought that the last Orwell performance at Drummonds was pretty fleet,

On the instrumentation thing, I havent met a guitarist thats compatible with me, or a drummer, or a bassist, so I like to play with "The Famous Prostitute" for my "band thang",

At the mo we're recording the extra stuff ourselves

and then playing over it. We're also trying to get hold of

a drum module so we can trigger samples and the likes.

Its not all down to not experimenting, its not being able

To find the right people

Yes, there isnt exactly a fountain of never ending instrumentalists on the go in the NE,

Bill Bruford Earthworks did amazing stuff with drum sample triggers,

We aren't currently using "different" instruments in our songs yet but it could always be a possibility. Like someone said why limit yourself. I wouldn't mind getting a guitar fitted with a sitar effect bridge or maybe a sitar effect pedal if you get those?

me and sam from bench (keyboard/2nd guitarist) have a sort of "side project" thing with our friend dave, and we do stuff with cello's, violins, synths, samples as well as guitar, bass and sometimes drums. its pretty much all improvised. some of it sounds a bit random although some of the stuff we've come up with sounds quite good.

Originally posted by rainbowprincess:

One of these days I either want to get my 'cello wired for an amp or get an electric 'cello. Sadly right now I can afford neither...:(

You seem to know that cello is short for violincello, although even the stuffiest proffesor of grammar wouldn't use the apostrophe nowadays, but why do you call yourself a celloer?

Cellist! Goddammit!

Originally posted by Philip:

Can you name some local bands that have an unusual instrumental line up, ie: not your standard guitar/bass/drums?

The way your question is asked just beggers belief. You ACTUALLY just ASKED how many bands in Aberdeen aren't just the wanky old classic "guitar/bass/drums"?!?!

The answer is:

"Almost all"

Now, fuck off, and stop being a presumptuous cunt.

Guest Philip

Re: Re: Instrumentation...

Originally posted by Kus of the Valley:

The way your question is asked just beggers belief. You ACTUALLY just ASKED how many bands in Aberdeen aren't just the wanky old classic "guitar/bass/drums"?!?!

The answer is:

"Almost all"

Now, fuck off, and stop being a presumptuous cunt.

Is it not possible to ask a question on aberdeen-music with out someone coming back with yet another smart ass comment, whats so wrong with wanting to find out about local bands that use uncommon instruments?