aberdeen-music

Racism!

Benji

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that I do find offensive is how schools deal with religion. The curriculum is set out like Christianity and other world religions (or something like that).

Why are schools who have Christian head teachers given Christian moral stories at assemblies being atheist I find it wrong that I have to take him out of such things (the prayer at the end is the lords prayer) he then misses out on this and his friends would notice or so the teacher said as to make me feel guilty and so that I would not cause any extra staffing issues. Also when learning about religions the teacher (older ones) set it out like them and us for example we beleive in Christmas but they...

If a Muslim head teacher was to come in and start doing such things I am sure something would be said.

One thing that I do find offensive is how schools deal with religion. The curriculum is set out like Christianity and other world religions (or something like that).

Why are schools who have Christian head teachers given Christian moral stories at assemblies being atheist I find it wrong that I have to take him out of such things (the prayer at the end is the lords prayer) he then misses out on this and his friends would notice or so the teacher said as to make me feel guilty and so that I would not cause any extra staffing issues. If a Muslim head teacher was to come in and start doing such things I am sure something would be said.

I have complained about this, and got in trouble for not taking part in the prayer, i htink it is a disgrace, i ask to be alowed not to attend theese basically sermons, but am told that i AM going, it is annoying as hell!

ross

When I tried to remove my son from such things I was made to feel like the worst mother in the world, and that I was teaching my son religious hatred when actually I just don't want my child preached too from ANY religion. There is no need for preaching in schools yes I think children need to learn about many cultures and religions but not one more then another

When I tried to remove my son from such things I was made to feel like the worst mother in the world' date=' and that I was teaching my son religious hatred when actually I just don't want my child preached too from ANY religion. There is no need for preaching in schools yes I think children need to learn about many cultures and religions but not one more then another[/quote']

Couldn't agree more with that.

From the age of five (when kids will just do as they're told), the school makes children sing hymns and take part in prayers, as well as just generally being told why we should be all Christians. We're even expected to go to church at Christmas etc. People who are of another religion are permitted to skip these, because they're not Christians. I'm not a Christian. I had to do this. And actually am still expected too. Actually I don't like the fact that people of different religions are "excused" from them, because while they rightly don't take part in Christian rituals, they miss out on information and shared experience with their classmates, because it's whole assemblies they're taken out of, not just prayers.

Gah this is one of my favourite ranting subjects, I won't go further.

Personally it's not racism that gets to me, it's general intolerance. I just don't understand why I get a mouthfuls of abuse when I'm walking with my boyfriend because apparently 'aberdeen is full of fucking goths'...which I am of course because I've got pink bits in my hair :rolleyes: I don't understand why I got degrading and racist comments when I was in London (Peckham in particular, where my mum and I were the only white people on the main street). Because surely those black men have had racist abuse before and they know that it's horrible, so why do it to others? You reap what you sow, after all.

Saying that people should learn the language before they move to another country isn't racist, it's common sense and only polite. If someone has to put the prefix 'I'm not racist, but...' on a sentence to talk about race I think we seriously need to take another look at how our society is run. It's over cautious and I don't see why we should walk on eggshells when it comes to people of an ethnic background. Equality is the word,right? So why should we change things like nursey rhymes, which have nothing to do with discrimination of any kind.

I just can't quite express myself coherently enough about this. It just frustrates me. Same as I got a bit of stick for not finding Sludge's post on 'how to sounds like a retard' funny. I found that completely offensive and quite sick. But apparently I'm over sensitive because in reality, laughing at people who are different from myself, and were born that way, is actually perfectly acceptable.

[/rant]

Assemblies at Westhill = brainwashing sessions conducted by Thompson and Innes.

I agree though, I don't think there's a place for religion in schools. I think it should be left up to the discretion of the parents - but made opt in as opposed to opt out. The thing that irritates me is that kids are pushed so hard, yet they have to waste time listening to someone drone on in an assembly. What's the point? If there's a message to be said, say it in PSE, don't bother wasting valuable time with these things.

Assemblies at Westhill = brainwashing sessions conducted by Thompson and Innes.

I agree though' date=' I don't think there's a place for religion in schools. I think it should be left up to the discretion of the parents - but made opt in as opposed to opt out. The thing that irritates me is that kids are pushed so hard, yet they have to waste time listening to someone drone on in an assembly. What's the point? If there's a message to be said, say it in PSE, don't bother wasting valuable time with these things.[/quote']

This is just reminding me of how bad the teacher and head made me feel when I asked for my son to be taken out of any religous preaching type assemblies. Now I think tomorrow I will ask for him not to take part in the praying( if I was to take him away from assemblies he would miss out on alot like the kids behaviour awards)

I've always wondered why its ok for black people to call each other "nigger" but not for anyone else to call them it. i mean it's like saying only other Judy's can call me Judy, but the rest of you can't or I'll get offened. If a blakc person referred to another black person as "nigger" and then I also referred to him as such, I'd get accused of being racist. It's well weird.

Who really gives a fuck? We've been ripping the piss out of the Irish for long enough and they're on our doorstep.

If you can't take a joke (where no malice is intended) then there's something wrong with you.

yea and who said taking the piss out of the irish was any better? just cause it was okay years ago doesn't make it alright now. it's called growing up. some folk on here might like to try it sometime.

i really despise the whole "if you can't take a joke" shit. it's an excuse for bullying and nothing more. that joke that bux posted was racist. end of. and it was a bad joke. to be honest if that's the only jokes you find funny then there's something wrong with YOU not us.

I've always wondered why its ok for black people to call each other "nigger" but not for anyone else to call them it. i mean it's like saying only other Judy's can call me Judy' date=' but the rest of you can't or I'll get offened. If a blakc person referred to another black person as "nigger" and then I also referred to him as such, I'd get accused of being racist. It's well weird.[/quote']

that's the stupidest thing i've ever read. nigger isn't someones name. it's not like calling you judy at all.

i guess it's simliar to calling your friends something offensive but they know you don't mean it cause you're mates. if someone one else called you then you'd take offense. it's all to do with context.

i'm not saying everyone should walk on eggshells and call things like chalkboards or any of that crap, no one is. a blackboard isn't repressing anyone, it's black for writing on with white chalk. just people should be able to find better things to laugh at than other cultures/colours/sizes of people. i mean we are meant to be beings capable of such emotions and love and sentient thought, why don't we try using these powers instead of mocking everyone and going "aye, it's just a joke eh, lighten up".

Guest AmbientMood

On one hand there are people whining on about political corretness gone crazy, then this:

Why are schools who have Christian head teachers given Christian moral stories at assemblies being atheist I find it wrong that I have to take him out of such things (the prayer at the end is the lords prayer) he then misses out on this and his friends would notice or so the teacher said as to make me feel guilty and so that I would not cause any extra staffing issues. Also when learning about religions the teacher (older ones) set it out like them and us for example we beleive in Christmas but they...

I hope you understand how much of a pain in the arse you are being with your bullshit, see-through 'atheism.' Denying him moral lessons and a chance to ask the minister ridiculous questions. 'Fraid he might come home with a bit of insight? Or expect he might start wearing a skull cap..

Guest AmbientMood
That's the spirit' date=' if enough parents give schools a hard time over the praying/preaching elements, hopefully they'll get dropped sooner rather than later.. :)

[/quote']

'Parents giving teachers a hard time' is not a positive thing. Whatever you think, you (Cloud) do not know best when it comes to the primary school education system. You post here, thinking yourself clever, thinking you make valid points, when you in fact you speak the biggest mountain of shite ever.

'Parents giving teachers a hard time' is not a positive thing. Whatever you think' date=' you (Cloud) do not know best when it comes to the primary school education system. You post here, thinking yourself clever, thinking you make valid points, when you in fact you speak the biggest mountain of shite ever.[/quote']

*yawn*

Why, what experience do you have with the primary school system? Are you involved with the care of a person at primary school? Or are you just a sad bastard who feels the need to criticise people on the internet because he hasn't got the balls to do it to people's faces?

For whatever reasons Homophobia is pretty much acceptable in the UK which is terrible. Even people on this site call each other "fags" or "homos"when argueing. IMHO' date=' that is just as low as racism.[/quote']

People that use that kind of insults are insecure about their own (lack of) sexuality, i think.

teachers get enough hassle as it is without people hassling them about RE. hassle the education department not the teachers. also it's not just christianity they get taught about but as far as i remember you learn about ALL religion in RE and i did it years ago. i'm sure it's even less biased towards christianity now. it's not like they're brainwashing the kids is it, i know plenty of atheists who did RE but still don't follow the teachings of a religion. give kids the benefit of the doubt and let them make up their own minds and let teachers get on with their already overstressed and overworked jobs.

'Parents giving teachers a hard time' is not a positive thing. Whatever you think' date=' you (Cloud) do not know best when it comes to the primary school education system. You post here, thinking yourself clever, thinking you make valid points, when you in fact you speak the biggest mountain of shite ever.[/quote']

right giving them a hard time maybe a bad way to put it, but letting them understand what you want for your children is the best thing posible at lease it shows you care and are interested in your kids education. I want what is best for my children I want them to go to school to learn. I don't want them preached to therefore I will let the teaching staff know how I feel.

there are plenty of parents at my kids school not happy with bits here and there and religion is one of them - no one has the guts to say ANYTHING so maybe letting teachers know how they feel is a positive thing.

On one hand there are people whining on about political corretness gone crazy' date=' then this:

I hope you understand how much of a pain in the arse you are being with your bullshit, see-through 'atheism.' Denying him moral lessons and a chance to ask the minister ridiculous questions. 'Fraid he might come home with a bit of insight? Or expect he might start wearing a skull cap..[/quote']

no! You know nothing about me or my reasons for this and anyway if you read on my kid IS getting the shitty moral stories which I see no benifit.

I want my child to have a balanced veiw on religion so that he can choose for himself, thats where the inclass RME side should come in. Where he can learn about ALL religion and not have to be preeched to at assemblies

teachers get enough hassle as it is without people hassling them about RE. hassle the education department not the teachers. also it's not just christianity they get taught about but as far as i remember you learn about ALL religion in RE and i did it years ago. i'm sure it's even less biased towards christianity now. it's not like they're brainwashing the kids is it' date=' i know plenty of atheists who did RE but still don't follow the teachings of a religion. give kids the benefit of the doubt and let them make up their own minds and let teachers get on with their already overstressed and overworked jobs.[/quote']

Who said anything about RME? It's badly taught in a lot of schools, but we were talking about assemblies, not RME. Anyway, I personally disagree with the idea of kids

As for the education department - why give them hassle when it's the school's choice as to whether they get ministers in to brainwash kids/sending them to church/etc? Assemblies don't need to have Christian/Islamic/Jewish/etc people giving across messages, I'm sure the rectors are more than perfectly capable of getting a message across without resorting to religious overtones. It's the same with praying - why? What good does it do, except reinforce organised religion?

teachers get enough hassle as it is without people hassling them about RE. hassle the education department not the teachers. also it's not just christianity they get taught about but as far as i remember you learn about ALL religion in RE and i did it years ago. i'm sure it's even less biased towards christianity now. it's not like they're brainwashing the kids is it' date=' i know plenty of atheists who did RE but still don't follow the teachings of a religion. give kids the benefit of the doubt and let them make up their own minds and let teachers get on with their already overstressed and overworked jobs.[/quote']

yeah it ain't really about RME but I do have issues with it too, I have a copy of the RME curriculum and its called Christanity and other world religions. also friends who are teacher"

but mostly I am pissed at christian head teachers brining their beliefs into their assemblies