aberdeen-music

Racism!

Benji

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay' date=' two scenarios to present.

Number one : A film is made, starring a white protagonist and a black protagonist. Black man makes satrical remarks throughout the film about the white man, including pretty satrical "racist" stuff. See also : National Security

Number two : A film is made, starring a white protagonist and a black protagonist. White man makes satrical remarks through the film about the black man, including pretty satrical "racist" stuff.

What's more likely to generate offence?

I know people that say things in a satrical way such as "black men can run fast because they're used to running away" - is that racist? Or simply satrical?

There's a thin line between satire and racism, and perhaps it would be better for everyone if no-one approached it rather than pushing it.[/quote']

i don't understand the scenarios. i've not seen national security so can't comment on that film. but i already said you can't defend obviously racist jokes by calling them satire when they're not satirical. there's a difference between the two. if it's satire then it's designed to expose stupidity and the like and will most likely make the person making the racist joke look like the idiot. i guess it's to do with intent.

saying black men can run fast because they're used to running away isn't really satirical. is that meant to be a reference to the wrongly held belief that most black men are criminals? if so then it's racist isn't it. no question.

there's no point in a hands off approach to the issue of race. if awareness and education can be raised with intelligent humour then surely that's a good thing. however telling crude and unfunny jokes about other races or religions is harmful to society. if we continue to accept it then surely it's just setting a bad example to younger people etc.

Hud the bus - you're calling chris rock satirical and Python racist?!! you are off your rocker.

Blazing Saddles has a dog ccalled nigger as well.

i didn't mean the python joke, i meant bux's learn to speak chinese supah quick joke.

exactly, the dog was called nigger. the fucking dog. do you not see the point in that?

love your attack that i'm just trying to make out like i'm more intelligent than you by going "wank wank wank, i'm so intelligent". way to make it true dumbass.

Hmm, k i missed the supah quick joke. i'm sure it was funny tho.

Yes - I do see the point in that. What is your satire, may be another persons racism thats what I am getting at.

Just because you see something like a film about niggers and slavery satirical as do I, some other people may see it as racist. I'm sure chinese people would laugh at Bux's joke, just as much as they would laugh about the irish papershop that blew away. Point I am trying to make is you seem so high and mighty that your opinion is the only opinion. It's not, it's far too PC.

i don't mean to come off as high and mighty, it's just something i feel strongly about. i hate the argument that people like myself are just being overly pc and will respond appropriately. it's such a frustrating arguement. you're lucky i've not broken and started calling you all a shower of unevolved knuckledragging cunts or something. which would help noone. so i haven't, but is hugely frustrating to lay out a reasoned and logical arguement why these things are racist and why i don't like them etc only to be constantly hit with "lighten up, stop being so pc, sheesh".

I think this thread highlights why racism still exists - without a clear definition of what it is (as proven on this thread, different people think different things), there's always going to be a struggle with it. No doubt everyone on here agrees that idiots like Stormfront and Combat 18 are just racist twats, but not everyone agrees that a joke immediately makes someone racist. Obviously people have different morals and values, and perhaps everyone should respect that rather than trying to make them change their morals and values?

I think this thread highlights why racism still exists - without a clear definition of what it is (as proven on this thread' date=' different people think different things), there's always going to be a struggle with it. No doubt everyone on here agrees that idiots like Stormfront and Combat 18 are just racist twats, but not everyone agrees that a joke immediately makes someone racist. Obviously people have different morals and values, and perhaps everyone should respect that rather than trying to make them change their morals and values?[/quote']

totally agree, fair doos to dave for giving some logical reasons, but I guess I just dont feel too stronlgy about it. Being a ginger i'm in a minority and can take a slagging, so i'm pretty laid back and can laugh at myself or ginger jokes etc. I just think other people/minorities should be able to as well. Redism is just as bad as racism!

I think this thread highlights why racism still exists - without a clear definition of what it is (as proven on this thread' date=' different people think different things), there's always going to be a struggle with it. No doubt everyone on here agrees that idiots like Stormfront and Combat 18 are just racist twats, but not everyone agrees that a joke immediately makes someone racist. Obviously people have different morals and values, and perhaps everyone should respect that rather than trying to make them change their morals and values?[/quote']

yea i agree to an extent. i wasn't calling people specifically racist just trying to get them to understand that certain jokes are racist. i know that telling these jokes doesn't make you a card carrying member of the bnp but i just want people to try and think more and show some more understanding. that's all. you also can't talk about respecting other peoples values and morals when telling these jokes shows a lack of respect in the first place. but hey, you can't win em all and people aren't going to change overnight. so long as folk start thinking about it that's all i want.

Here' date=' I'm not the one that needs to wise up. I'd find it very uncomfortable being caught up in a group of people telling racist jokes.

Here's a good one for everyone, and at the expense of sounding like a smart arse...

What do you call 1 racist on the moon?

A problem

What do you call 10 racists on the moon?

A problem

What do you call 1000 racists on the moon?

A problem

What do you call all the racists on the moon?

Problem solved![/quote']

i prefer the french version

Guest tv tanned
i prefer the french version

Ici, je ne suis pas le l'un qui a besoin d' sage en haut. Je le trouverais trs inconfortable tant attrap en haut dans un groupe de gens disant les plaisanteries de raciste.

Est ici un bon l'un pour tout le monde, et la dpense de sondage comme un popotin intelligent..

Qu'appelez-vous 1 raciste sur la lune ? Un problme

Qu'appelez-vous 10 racistes sur la lune ? Un problme

Qu'appelez-vous 1000 racistes sur la lune ? Un problme

Qu'appelez-vous tous les racistes sur la lune ? Le problme a rsolu !

Guest Jake Wifebeater
yea' date=' but if it was, i'd totally win right? yea i would. YEA!

where's my prize?[/quote']

I reckon you should get a wad of book tokens. You seem a well-read type of bloke.

you know despite everything, i think this was one of the better threads on here discussion wise recently. i mean it never really descended into the usual lame banter that contentious threads on here tend to do and everyone pretty much behaved themselves and put their points across properly, even when it was just "stop being so pc". which is a good thing.

you know despite everything' date=' i think this was one of the better threads on here discussion wise recently. i mean it never really descended into the usual lame banter that contentious threads on here tend to do and everyone pretty much behaved themselves and put their points across properly, even when it was just "stop being so pc". which is a good thing.[/quote']

Well said that man.

Andy

On one hand there are people whining on about political corretness gone crazy' date=' then this:

I hope you understand how much of a pain in the arse you are being with your bullshit, see-through 'atheism.' Denying him moral lessons and a chance to ask the minister ridiculous questions. 'Fraid he might come home with a bit of insight? Or expect he might start wearing a skull cap..[/quote']

I know this is a few pages late, but WHAT A WANKER.

That's the impression I'm getting. There seems to be quite a few statements being made that are bordering on offensive.

Still' date=' i need to lighten up apparently - it's ok to laugh at the Irish & I should be able to do it over the Chinese as well, it would seem. Can't understand that logic personally.[/quote']

take the scottish for example; we are often made fun of the world over in accordance with a certain series of stereotypes- we even take part in this process ourselves.

the problem is it's an extremely fine line between jokey and just plain ignorant. espescially if the people you are taking the piss out of are a minority from a different culture. In this context such jokes can be seen to be a bit "go back to your own fucking country"etc.

But i still don't see much point in pushing the politically correct option i.e. saying "you are a rascist bastard fuck off you morally corrupt shit" i think it is more constructive to educate rather than castigate. getting on a high horse isn't going to adddress the wider issue of racial discrimination in our society.

i

take the scottish for example; we are often made fun of the world over in accordance with a certain series of stereotypes- we even take part in this process ourselves.

the problem is it's an extremely fine line between jokey and just plain ignorant. espescially if the people you are taking the piss out of are a minority from a different culture. In this context such jokes can be seen to be a bit "go back to your own fucking country"etc.

But i still don't see much point in pushing the politically correct option i.e. saying "you are a rascist bastard fuck off you morally corrupt shit" i think it is more constructive to educate rather than castigate. getting on a high horse isn't going to adddress the wider issue of racial discrimination in our society.

i

i agree with you in regards to the "high horse" - however, it's hard, and very frustrating, to not appear po-faced when confronted with some of the statements made. I certainly hoped to avoid to actually directly being a racist rather than accusing them of making statements that could be construed as racist in their content. I think self-awareness & being aware of the sensitivity of the subject matter - especially in jokes - is the issue people are trying to make in their posts.

Thankfully, no one has come out as an avid right-wing fascist with views on repatriation, etc - most people defending the right to make racially suspect jokes are guilty of naivity or insensitivity at the very least. And, as you so rightly point out, it is always more constructive to educate rather than castigate.