aberdeen-music

The inconsistency of the mods

Kai

You know, I hate to labour the point, but is it any wonder that people don't know which forum to post in when half the music-related threads on The Wasteland get moved elsewhere, while the remainder stay put?

I mean, check some of the threads that are on page one of The Wasteland:

Norman's Fetish

Kriss Kross

Soul Doubt

Sum 41

OK, so you could argue that some of these are just random threads that don't constitute serious music discussion, but the Norman's Fetish one is about a forthcoming gig, and we're not supposed to discuss gigs on here because it's bad apparently. ?(

Originally posted by tulip:

i'm fairly new to this Wasteland thing; why is it that we're not allowed music-esque threads? do feel free to enlighten.

Because The Wasteland is for all off-topic posts ONLY. i.e. the nonsense that doesn't belong in any of the other forums. There are plenty music-esque posts in the aptly named All Music Discussion forum.

However, I do agree about forum moderation being inconsistent. This is partially my fault for not giving the other forum moderators the guidance they need and also a little to do with the fact that I seem to be the only person that bothers to moderate The Wasteland forum (any of the moderators can move topics). As I'm not online all day long then obviously a number of topics will get missed and remain in the forum when they should in fact not be there.

Come the new web site I hope to address this issue among others. There will be new rules and guidelines fully published on the web site and changes to forum moderator assignments where necessary.

If we could provide a totally uniform, un-breakable method of moderating the forums, we'd have delegated the task to a computer by now.

The bottom line with all this "moderation" stuff is that a group of us do our best to be sensible, fair and quick to react. However, there will always be people who don't think that's good enough or believe that they can do better.

I still have the feeling that most of those complainants are merely attempting to "stir the pot", and that those who request to become moderators are mostly in it for some perceived "power trip" they might then have over the common visitors. I still struggle to see how you can attach any kind of importance over the ability to move or delete comments made on an internet discussion site...

For the most part, this moderation thing rests around being a fucking internet housemaid/nanny; Either moving threads because people are too lazy or beligerent to post in the correct forum, or closing down petty-assed squabbles between people who are too scared to say what they think directly to the face of their adversary. Glamerous and desirable stuff, huh?!

For the record, Neil ASKED me to moderate some forums many moons ago, when the AUBL forums moved to aberdeen-music.com and I had been posting in them previously. I like to think that it's just another way I can support local music and help it grow in a good way, much like with my voluntery involvement with creating and helping maintain Dr Drakes. I do this stuff for free and with my own free time, because I love playing in local bands and I appreciate what other people like the Dr Drakes staff do to support local bands. Why are YOU involved in this website...?

Originally posted by Neil:

Because The Wasteland is for all off-topic posts ONLY. i.e. the nonsense that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Here's a thought... why does aberdeen-music.com need an off-topic forum anymore?

Originally posted by Bob:

Here's a thought... why does aberdeen-music.com need an off-topic forum anymore?

Because people will always post off-topic content on forums. Just look at any other forums on the Internet to see what I mean (most of them will also have a dedicated off-topic forum or forums set-up to deal with the problem as well).

Originally posted by Rob Karloff:

I still have the feeling that most of those complainants are merely attempting to "stir the pot", and that those who request to become moderators are mostly in it for some perceived "power trip" they might then have over the common visitors. I still struggle to see how you can attach any kind of importance over the ability to move or delete comments made on an internet discussion site...

I always think if someone asks to become a moderator then they shouldn't be given the job.

Originally posted by soundian:

Why do people post off-topic on aberdeen-music.com?

Simple because it's an extension of reality, if you will..I mean, when people go to gigs, they talk about other random stuff apart from just music - and so this merely serves as an extension of that, in a way.

I've never viewed this site as solely about the music - it's about the whole 'scene' in general.