aberdeen-music

Sub Or Dub

Citizen Dildo

Arrgghh I hate dubbing! I watched this film a few weeks ago, and it was set in a British School in Germany, starred Patsy Kensit, spoken in English and then dubbed in French! That made my mind boggle a bit, especially because I kept thinking EMMERDALE!

On the other hand, when I watch an English film, subtitled in French, I read the subtitles because they appear quicker than the words are spoken, which is also fairly confusing.

I generally only ever watch in subs.

If it's a live action, dubs are just a joke, they don't fit and look stupid. It totally brings it's credibility down.

For anime, that applies too, but just not as bad, it can sometimes be really good. But then it always feels better hearing it in japanese, how it is intended. It's kinda part of the anime of it. Don't think i've put that across very well, but you get the idea.

In a sense, i like to keep the film to how it originally is. If it's a brazilian film, i want it to feel brazilian. I have no problem in reading subs in the slightest, so it doesn't bother me at all.

I must be in a minority then. I just find that if its a fast paced film subtitles drag me away from whats actually happening on the screen and you miss small subtleties and nuances because your visual concentration is on the subtitles or split between the two.

In an ideal world i'd love to understand the language it was made in but i don't mind dubbing for the fact that it alows me to concentrate on the film more.

The victim of a short attention span and easily distracted some may say.

It depends on my mood, I can't really just chill out and watch a subtitled movie because I have to concentrate more in order to know everything that's going on.

The beauty of the dubbed version of Howl's Moving Castle is that it had been edited so it didn't appear to be dubbed. You could still tell, but it wasn't as obvious as other films.

I don't mind dubbing in animations but it's really hard to watch dubbing in foreign films. I couldn't bear to watch Love Me If You Dare if it was dubbed.

I can't take dubbing.

Unless it's a "big" animation movie, english dubbing is usually done by actors of the sort you find doing computer games - awful.

I'd rather read subtitles. What pisses me off more is when they remake a movie in English using some of the original actors or director (Mon Pere Ces Hero anyone?) it's never the same.

:down:

yea i prefer subtitles but i watched castle in the sky recently and had the english language on rather than subtitles cause subtitles kept appearing when there was no speech which was annoying. dubbing works a little better for cartoons anyway.

That's because you made the mistake of buying the UK Region 2 DVD.

I urge you to sell it and import the Region 1 or Region 3.

The UK Region 2 has dubtitles, not subtitles. Play the supposed "subtitles" with the English track - you'll see what I mean.

I've made my point clear on the Howl's Moving Castle thread. A film should always be viewed in its original language, or as the director intended. If subtitles are required then so be it, it shouldn't really be an issue.

However there are people who have a physical condition, preventing them to read. In that case, of course dubs are the preferred choice, as it will allow them to ultimately enjoy the title.

DVDs and cinemas should always provide both options, so that the audience is fully aware and can make the appropriate decision.

Subtitles all the way, although i hate it when the dialogue's so deep that you miss some of the other aspects of the film because you're reading too much. Dubbing's the pits because the people speaking aren't actors and they put zero effort into the scenes. Both are equally annoying when they go out of synch. I wish i was multi-lingual.