aberdeen-music

Jamie Cullum

Aileen

Went to see him last night in Glasgow Royal Concert Hall and he was bloody amazing!!! Anyone else a fan? I was overwhelmed by how good a gig it was. If every musician in the business was as talented as he is, the music industry would be a far better place! It was just outstanding. Probably the best twenty quid Ive ever spent

I think he's great, and doing a great thing for jazz, he's definetly talented, but I don't think he's the new messiah of jazz, just a great portal into the often mis-represented world of jazz (pople think its all bears, berets and "squggly noise")..don't they ?...

I think he deserves all the praise he gets.

I think he's a legend. I especially like the way he plays cover songs in a way that sounds like only Jamie Cullum, if you know what I mean. I was sceptical as to how a different version of "high and dry" by radiohead could be anywhere near as good as the original, but the song just sounds like a Cullum song. WooP! I wish I had seen him :(

Love Cats at the Brits was pretty awful though, but that wasn't their fault. Apparently they were told to do something to relate to being a younger generation of their style of music, so they rehearsed a storming version of 'My Generation'. At the last minute their record company said it wasn't suitable and couldn't they do ooh,say, 'Love Cats' instead. So they had hardly any time to rehearse it.

NB their record company have The Cure's Greatest Hits coming out next month...

Originally posted by AX FAE TX:

has he got any of his own songs or is he another jazz covers act.

pish.

A fair part of jazz is in 're-working' classics, which is not the same as covers really. The skill is in the arranging, the orchestration and the interpretation. He actually re-defines what are classics, eg he does Cole Porter, but then he also does an arrangement of Jimi Hendrix ('The Wind Cries Mary'), or Radiohead ('High and Dry)'. That's pretty skilful. But yes, he does also write his own songs.

You may not like what he does, but you can't really call him 'pish'...

Not while talent vacuums like the Blazin Squad are still alive, anyway.

I met him a few years ago actually

and my mum has a signed CD

cos she said he was going to be famous one day

and whadda u know!

he played a little gig in the pub where my sister and her boyfriend at the time were working

it was just him and his keyboard but it was pretty ace

he went to Reading Uni and said boyfriend was a mate of his

so there you go!

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

Love Cats at the Brits was pretty awful though, but that wasn't their fault. Apparently they were told to do something to relate to being a younger generation of their style of music, so they rehearsed a storming version of 'My Generation'. At the last minute their record company said it wasn't suitable and couldn't they do ooh,say, 'Love Cats' instead. So they had hardly any time to rehearse it.

NB their record company have The Cure's Greatest Hits coming out next month...

Aye they did My Generation at the concert, it was so cool. They also did a cover of Frontin' by Pharell Williams which I was a little sceptical about but it was fookin awesome! I unfortunately missed him on the South Bank show but I reckon seeing him live kinda makes up for that, heehee. Met him after the gig which was cool as fuck, he's very little, and cute, and gave me two kisses, aye, not one but a whole big two! Heehee, can't wait for the next show