aberdeen-music

Speed or skill

The Milner

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keef Richards solo in Gimme Shleter. About 3 or 4 notes, no "speed"

what-so-ever. Fucking great solo! Same for Sympathey For The Devil. Mick Taylor however..... This speed argument is just used by metal wanks who try to show off their supposed superiority to friends and other musicians. Get a grip! Most musicians who put their minds to it would be able to play 3000 notes per second, but who'd want to!

Generally' date=' jazz players are the ones what got the skills and know how to use it. Many will never really show their true ability.[/quote']

Jazz players are the worst of all... soo fucking up themselves.

Classical guitar players would have been a good substitute for Jazz players in your quote however. They have skills. And speed funnily enough.

Guest AmbientMood
Keef Richards solo in Gimme Shleter. About 3 or 4 notes, no "speed"

what-so-ever. Fucking great solo!

Yes yes, we all know. Fast solos and slow solos are both great. Theres abseolutely no argument here whatsoever. Thread set-up as a bitching-fest for people like 'Doc' to say retarded things like this:

What the shit does he even mean by that? Out of all the jazz players I've met and been far inferior to, I've never encountered any that are 'up themselves.' You, Doc, are a stupid twat who knows only selfish stereotype and rotten-piss music.

Yes yes' date=' we all know. Fast solos and slow solos are both great. Theres abseolutely no argument here whatsoever. Thread set-up as a bitching-fest for people like 'Doc' to say retarded things like this:

What the shit does he even mean by that? Out of all the jazz players I've met and been far inferior to, I've never encountered any that are 'up themselves.' You, Doc, are a stupid twat who knows only selfish stereotype and rotten-piss music.[/quote']

see why do u need to start everytime?

You kids are pathetic all you can do is argue over a message board about stupid little things. can you not just leave it for once??

All i wanted was people opinions on this matter, not another bitching fest between doc/gregor and everyone else. In fact doc has made some of the best posts on this thread :up: i really wish some of you could grow up and stay out of things if you have no real interest in them.

So again i ask, STOP FUCKING MY THREAD WITH YOUR CHILDISH LITTLE ARGUMENTS please.

Personally I love to see a guitarist shred. The speed they play at really impresses me BUT in my opinion there are two kinds of shred guitarists. One is all about the speed nothing else at all and the other not only has speed but also skill and a understanding of what sounds musically good and what sounds shit. Skill can stand on its own without speed but there is no way that you can have speed without skill and the skill of being able to play fast isn't enough, you need something more, something I can't describe becasue I don't have it.

Personally I love to see a guitarist shred. The speed they play at really impresses me BUT in my opinion there are two kinds of shred guitarists. One is all about the speed nothing else at all and the other not only has speed but also skill and a understanding of what sounds musically good and what sounds shit. Skill can stand on its own without speed but there is no way that you can have speed without skill and the skill of being able to play fast isn't enough' date=' you need something more, something I can't describe becasue I don't have it.[/quote']

That sounds like fair comment to me, even though I'm not a shred fan. :up:

Guest ()Papaspyrou()
moment_019.jpg

I agree with Tom. How else would you ever be able to construct a song if you had no idea about speed and timing. Its a ludicrous suggestion that speed isn't an important factor and anyone who says differently can get fucked.

I agree with Tom. How else would you ever be able to construct a song if you had no idea about speed and timing. Its a ludicrous suggestion that speed isn't an important factor and anyone who says differently can get fucked.

Speed has very little to do with timing though, as Alan said, knowing when not to play is certainly as much of a skill as knowing when to not play fast. Brian May is an incredible guitarist but he very seldom plays really fast, doesnt mean he couldnt. I've seen people playing fast who arent particularly skillfull, for example when they play fast they make mistakes but everyones concentrating on how fast they're playing and not seeing that side of it. Undoubtedly playing fast and playing accurately is a skill, but very few people who claim to be fast can actually do it, omne of the reasons a lot of distortion (apart from the fact it can sound good) is frequently used is beacuse it can mask a lot more errors.

Playing fast is a skill, but you can have skill without playing fast.

Cheers

Stuart

nobody said that speed wasnt an important factor, why do people keep changing the question so they can try and have a dig?

Speed has very little to do with timing though' date=' as Alan said, knowing when not to play is certainly as much of a skill as knowing when to not play fast. Brian May is an incredible guitarist but he very seldom plays really fast, doesnt mean he couldnt. I've seen people playing fast who arent particularly skillfull, for example when they play fast they make mistakes but everyones concentrating on how fast they're playing and not seeing that side of it. Undoubtedly playing fast and playing accurately is a skill, but very few people who claim to be fast can actually do it, omne of the reasons a lot of distortion (apart from the fact it can sound good) is frequently used is beacuse it can mask a lot more errors.

Playing fast is a skill, but you can have skill without playing fast.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

I mostly agree with this, although i dont think many people would use distorsion to hide mistakes.

see why do u need to start everytime?

You kids are pathetic all you can do is argue over a message board about stupid little things. can you not just leave it for once??

All i wanted was people opinions on this matter' date=' not another bitching fest between doc/gregor and everyone else. In fact doc has made some of the best posts on this thread :up: i really wish some of you could grow up and stay out of things if you have no real interest in them.

So again i ask, STOP FUCKING MY THREAD WITH YOUR CHILDISH LITTLE ARGUMENTS please.[/quote']

You wanted opinions, ye got them.

Clapton and Mick Taylor play(ed?) fast as fuck but sound magnificent. Metal kid plays twice as fast to impresse his/her mates then realises that it really doesn't sound good and so cranks up the distortion to hide the painful truth that they can't really play all that good.

Guest AmbientMood
Metal kid plays twice as fast to impresse his/her mates then realises that it really doesn't sound good and so cranks up the distortion to hide the painful truth that they can't really play all that good.

Ok' date=' but we aren't talking about kids here. Professional musicians don't need distortion to hide anything.

Christ, you people say some dumb-ass things. This thread is actually making me angry. Oh and:

Milner -

In fact doc has made some of the best posts on this thread i really wish some of you could grow up and stay out of things if you have no real interest in them.

For my own satisfaction I qoute again:

Doc -

Stupid people generally flock around other stupid people, don't you find?

After reading one of the most pathetic thread arguments on here yet i wanted to put the question to you people' date=' what do you class as being more impressive, benig able to play very very fast or being able to play something far more complicated? Im not meaning just guitars as well i mean for any instrument.[/quote']

Personally, I think the obvious answer to this question is that being able to play something complicated, with finesse and feeling, is far more impressive than being able to play really fast.

There seems to be a lot of people around that see it all as a pissing contest. Who can play the fastest and the loudest, in the most aggressive manner, with the most shocking lyrics, screamed in the most primal type of caveman voice. It's bullshit, and in my opinion it's all pretty childish

In my opinion speed really isn't everything. Yes it can sound impressive, but anyone can play like a motherfucker if they practice enough, not everyone can really capture someone with their sense of melody and feeling. Take Slash for example, not technically the best player compared to say Steve Vai, but Slash has bags of feeling and melodies which make for some very memorable solos. Personally I don't aspire to become super uber fast on my guitar, I aspire to capture listeners and make music I deem worth listening to.

Andy