aberdeen-music

irony-fatigue

Stripey

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the world coming to' date=' i mean, someone has made a fucking dukes of hazzard movie. I have come to the conclusion that I am fucking sick of people saying how cool stuff like neighbours, transformers, dukes of hazzard, the a-team, quincy, and 80's cockrock bands are.

Turn around and face the future for fucksake.[/quote']

If we were all sitting about reading Dosdoyevsky and listening to experimental (read: unlistenable) proto-futuristic music; then you'd have no one to pretensiously look down upon on the internet. Why not turn off the telly and go do something less boring instead?

I bought one of the 'Monkey' videos when they came out because I loved it as a kid. Soon realised it was shite. Theme song is still pretty groovy tho....and his flying pink cloud. And teh fact he looks like Gaz from Supergrass.

Monkey is ace, amazingly surreal; and one huge allegory for Budhism. Apparently.

I'm bored to death with crap like people posting pictures of mr-t or threads about how funny neighbours is' date=' or people wearing transformers tshirts. It's all insincere, it's all fake and inane, it makes me cringe.

[/quote']

So I am, as you put it "insincere, fake and inane" because I'm 22 and wear a transformers t-shirt... ( For the record I also have transformers and thundercats american football jerseys, a thundercats hoody and a couple of masters of the universe t-shirts, and still have some of the toys :D ) Whereas the reality is I wear them as a show of genuine love for something that reminds me of a good time in my life and am genuinely still a fan of (as a LOT of my friends are)- I have a lot of the episodes on tape, and collect the current comics whenever I can find somewhere that can import them. And if that makes you cringe, oh well, I guess I'll just have to change won't I- beacuse you, without ever having met me, can judge my reasons for wearing a fucking t-shirt. Simple fact is you don't like it, fine go watch something else.- I think the Elektra, Catwoman and Fantastic 4 movies are an afront to the orginal material. So what did I do? I didn't fucking watch them, and saved my time and money for something I do like. Problem solved. try it sometime :up:

i agree to a certain extend to the original post on this thread i mean if it aint broke dont fix it...

its like these new bands that get a number 1 single and think " aha we got a number 1 with our last song so lets make our second third and fourth single sound exactly the same just dfrent words"

i loved all the old marvel comics but look how easy it was for hollywood to basterdise em the sooner we forget daredevil and spider man 2004 the better..............

wat happened in the 80,s should stay in the 80's is all i have to say on the 80's sheelsuits mullets and girls with short blonde hair (reta sue and bob 2 stylee)

lol

Guest tv tanned
I'm not suggesting atall that anyone live like me or do what I say' date=' all I am saying is that I'm bored to death with crap like people posting pictures of mr-t or threads about how funny neighbours is, or people wearing transformers tshirts. It's all insincere, it's all fake and inane, it makes me cringe.

I'm talking about this bizarre irony thing as a cultural phenomenon, the tv shows is just an example. I guess it's no surprise that you lot can't see the bigger picture, since you are actually immersed in the whole retarded fad yourselves.

I once heard someone on tv say "ahh, I see you are wearing an ironic Mr-T tshirt. Of course, if it wasn't meant to be ironic, people would just think you were a sad twat." Says it all really.[/quote']

71DSCF0008.jpg

Chris#2 Junior responds to pretentious tosser

"Hey, buddy, I look better in a Transformers t-shirt than you do in anything. Fact."

Alright here's another way to look at it. The Wizard of Oz was made before even my own mother was born, does that mean I should be allowed to consider it one of my favourite films? I should be watching films "of the present" and shunning classics of the past?

And for the record, I was 8/9 when Thundercats was still being shown on the TV, not in my nappies. Yer so they stopped making the cartoons when I was 2, but the networks still showed them well into the 90s. Same with the likes of Scooby Doo, made in the 60s... still popular today.

Sorry, but your comments just really opened up a can of worms in my mind :)

the retro shit is down to money >

its cheaper and theres more profit to be had, for the media in all its forms, to bombard us with stuff that requires no new investment, thought or creativity - than to actually do anything new - that would take time, talent and cost money

bombard us with enough old shite untill we get numb to it and then some of us (seemingly most of us) will start to think its ok, when its patently dog shit and always was dog shit

Im with Gridlock and would rather embrace a 'future' than watch Worzal Gummage reruns, play asteroids and listen to Deep Purple - if there was a future that is

But there isnt one apparently.

I can see what Gridlock's on about to a certain extent, but it's unfair to assume everyone who watches Neighbours, A-Team etc only watches them cos they think it makes them look "zany" or whatever. Just cos these programmes are light-hearted doesn't make them shite.

I personally always loved seeing B.A. make a tank out of a frying pan or whatever. And Neighbours is the one programme I've always watched... I can't even remember a time when I didn't watch it. It's a damn sight better than any of our counterparts.

And the only detective programme more entertaining than Diagnosis Murder is Poirot.

Guest AmbientMood
Alright here's another way to look at it. The Wizard of Oz was made before even my own mother was born' date=' does that mean I should be allowed to consider it one of my favourite films? I should be watching films "of the present" and shunning classics of the past?

color']

Now, what we are trying to distinguish here is, do you actually like a silly film about a silly red brick road and ginger bird? Or is it one of those things where, at a party when this film comes up in convo you shout, somewhat at the top of your whiny little voice 'I loooovvvvvveeeee that filllmmmmm,' basking in the attention you feel your peers grant you at apparently taking pleasure in a film that we all know is largely unwatchable by anyone who doesn't like crappy, boring, old fashioned films.

Guest AmbientMood
So I am' date=' as you put it "insincere, fake and inane" because I'm 22 and wear a transformers t-shirt... ( For the record I also have transformers and thundercats american football jerseys, a thundercats hoody and a couple of masters of the universe t-shirts, and still have some of the toys :D ) Whereas the reality is I wear them as a show of genuine love for something that reminds me of a good time in my life and am genuinely still a fan of (as a LOT of my friends are)- I have a lot of the episodes on tape, and collect the current comics whenever I can find somewhere that can import them. And if that makes you cringe, oh well, I guess I'll just have to change won't I- beacuse you, without ever having met me, can judge my reasons for wearing a fucking t-shirt. Simple fact is you don't like it, fine go watch something else.- I think the Elektra, Catwoman and Fantastic 4 movies are an afront to the orginal material. So what did I do? I didn't fucking watch them, and saved my time and money for something I do like. Problem solved. try it sometime :up:[/quote']

As quoted earlier in the thread:

I see you are wearing an ironic Mr-T tshirt. Of course, if it wasn't meant to be ironic, people would just think you were a sad twat

Now' date=' what we are trying to distinguish here is, do you [i']actually like a silly film about a silly red brick road and ginger bird? Or is it one of those things where, at a party when this film comes up in convo you shout, somewhat at the top of your whiny little voice 'I loooovvvvvveeeee that filllmmmmm,' basking in the attention you feel your peers grant you at apparently taking pleasure in a film that we all know is largely unwatchable by anyone who doesn't like crappy, boring, old fashioned films.

Fuck you tripley sir. There is no other fitting response to such a pissy comment.

By the way, Red brick road? Ginger bird? What?

You haven't seen this film have you...

It's a Yellow Brick road, and I'm not even sure where you got the ginger bird thing from.

I really don't give a shit what you say either way, this "crappy, oldfashioned film" is also known as a classic, it is not "Naff", it was a film ahead of its time (by which I mean one of the first color films, filmed at the end of the 30s when most were still very much black and white), pioneering if you will.

You folk are so blinded by this marvellous future that you keep talking about (and again I agree with Sharon, you've given absolutely no examples to back this up) that you can't see the greatness and originality of the films and programmes that came long before you.

Now' date=' what we are trying to distinguish here is, do you [i']actually like a silly film about a silly red brick road and ginger bird? Or is it one of those things where, at a party when this film comes up in convo you shout, somewhat at the top of your whiny little voice 'I loooovvvvvveeeee that filllmmmmm,' basking in the attention you feel your peers grant you at apparently taking pleasure in a film that we all know is largely unwatchable by anyone who doesn't like crappy, boring, old fashioned films.

holey fuck..

dont quote a film you clearly havent seen..

EVERYONE FRIGGIN KNOWS ITS A YELLLLLLLLOW BRICK ROAD!!!

it also teaches you about what matters and doesnt matter in the 'real' world, and it's a beauty.

the lion without courage, the tin-man without a heart..

Whoa there' date=' Horsey!

I'm still fucking waiting for an example of what bright originality the future and the present holds.

[/quote']

there are no examples in the present I dont think and the future is what you make it darling! :love:

but you reminded me today of Theatre of Death!.....yeh sometimes the old stuff is betterer *looks nervously to Hammer House of Horror collection*

Wizard of Oz is sick tho, really fucked me up

Guest AmbientMood
Whoa there' date=' Horsey!

Now, this isn't a defence of The Wizard of Oz (I can't stand it) but old fashioned films. Bad? What the fuck are you on? What do you class as old fashioned?

[/quote']

My definition of 'old fashioned' could possibly be more easily represented by this - films my Gran would like. My Gran doesn't like horror films.

These Wizard of Oz flaws in my first post - I confused red with yellow and ginger with the girl in an equally crappy 'classic' called 'The Quiet Man' starring John Wayne and a ginger bird. You girls might like it.

I don't doubt films due to age, I doubt shit films. You have totally misunderstood this thread.