aberdeen-music

worst tastes in music?

Guest Zeenat Aman

What albums of theirs have mellotron?

He's a great flautist' date=' I had one of his 'classical' albums 'Introspection', lovely stuff.[/quote']

I don't have much of their stuff actually, but I don't think they really used too much Mellotron anyway, we were just talking about it following on from organy stuff rather than considering its role in Focus' music...

I have Introspection actually but I haven't ever listened to it X-(

• 5 years later...
And I've decided that Take Me Out is sexist.

It's the received wisdom and values of the moronic classes put into practice, acted out by our nation's finest attention seekers, wannabes and fame whores in an attempt to advance their career or boost their ego by getting their greasy orange face on television.

Why don't they let 15 dudes decide that they don't want to go out with some lassie because she's a hound?

1. If a woman came down the elevator and danced for the approval of 15 men it would be objectification and not 'all in good fun'. They'd have to change the name of the show to 'strip club live'.

2. Regardless of her 'talent' or 'personality' or whatever she'd get accepted or rejected 95% of the time on her looks alone.

3. Woman are not expected to humiliate themselves to get a date (See received wisdom)

4. The twist at the end of the man selecting between the remaining women (if reversed) would just be the same as any Saturday night in town.

5. Erm.... what was the question again?

Anyway, the whole point of Take Me Out is to make you the viewer feel incredibly smug and say, "At least I'm not that guy dancing like a tit on TV".

Indeed. Still, let's all apply for next season huh?

• Upvote 1

Dido......o_O

One of the best live gigs I've ever been to was Dido and i still regularly play the first 2 albums in the car, at the moment alternated with Springsteen. That being said, even i don't rate the third album much.

As I've got older my tastes have definitely changed but I still like most of what I liked previously, not so keen on Marillion as i was then, still like the older stuff, but not so keen on the newer stuff.

The last few gigs I've been to have been Asia, Squeeze, Thin Lizzy and the Divine Comedy and the next few are: Marillion weekend in Holland, Brian May and Kerry Ellis and probably Fish when he announces his Aberdeen date :p

Then again as I've got older I care even less what people think of my musical tastes and don't feel any need to defend my favourites anymore - I like em and if other people don';t that's up to them, I generally really enjoy what i listen to, don't go to as many gigs nowadays so just go to things i think I'll really enjoy, and just for the record I'm also waiting and looking forward to Def Leppard touring again :)

• Upvote 1

One of the best live gigs I've ever been to was Dido and i still regularly play the first 2 albums in the car, at the moment alternated with Springsteen. That being said, even i don't rate the third album much.

As I've got older my tastes have definitely changed but I still like most of what I liked previously, not so keen on Marillion as i was then, still like the older stuff, but not so keen on the newer stuff.

The last few gigs I've been to have been Asia, Squeeze, Thin Lizzy and the Divine Comedy and the next few are: Marillion weekend in Holland, Brian May and Kerry Ellis and probably Fish when he announces his Aberdeen date :p

Then again as I've got older I care even less what people think of my musical tastes and don't feel any need to defend my favourites anymore - I like em and if other people don';t that's up to them, I generally really enjoy what i listen to, don't go to as many gigs nowadays so just go to things i think I'll really enjoy, and just for the record I'm also waiting and looking forward to Def Leppard touring again :)

Def Leppard:popcorn:

Def Leppard:popcorn:

Yep, great UK Band, one of only five rock bands with two original studio albums selling over 10 million copies each in the US - and the first UK band to do it consecutively. The others are The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Van Halen. 30 years after their first album they're still a top 5 act in the US and top 10 act here, and more importantly they're fun, they don't really take themselves seriously and they really appreciate their influences. When the great Mick Ronson was ill Joe Elliott paid for a fair chunk of his medical expenses, Joe Elliott is remastering the new Thin Lizzy albums, quite well from the one or 2 tracks I have heard. As I said before I like 'em, they're fun, they do some good tunes and if no-one else likes them, that's fine, I have a better chance of getting near the frony at their gigs :)

Not selling many albums now though eh?:up:

[jester]Actually their latest album entered the US chart at number 5 and the UK chart at number 10 so they are obviously ace because we all know that selling lots of records is a sure sign of brilliance, just look at Justin Bieber[/jester]

:laughing:

OK so if they're not selling albums that means they're crap, and if they are selling albums then they're also crap cos lots of other artists sell lots...

As I said, i like them, i'll go and see them and I'll buy their stuff, they do still sell reasonable amounts and tour big venues though, admittedly not the size they used to but thats the same for most bands big at that time. Musics about entertainment and they still entertain me, so thats all that matters :)