aberdeen-music

Mercury Shortlist 2005

Larsen B

So' date=' after listening to the build-up on Radio 1 - with Hard-Fi and The Go! Team having me bouncing off the walls of my bedroom - that fucking big queer Antony steals it after an "intense" performance in which he warbled childish poetry in a barely coherent fashion. His album will be flying off the shelves at Tesco tomorrow. He's hardly British either. When he spoke on stage, he had about as little charisma as a member of Sigur Ros, which is apt considering he is a fellow beauty merchant[/quote']

Granted, from the couple of tracks I have heard I absolutely despise his voice.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So' date=' after listening to the build-up on Radio 1 - with Hard-Fi and The Go! Team having me bouncing off the walls of my bedroom - that fucking big queer Antony steals it after an "intense" performance in which he warbled childish poetry in a barely coherent fashion. His album will be flying off the shelves at Tesco tomorrow. He's hardly British either. When he spoke on stage, he had about as little charisma as a member of Sigur Ros, which is apt considering he is a fellow beauty merchant[/quote']

That's a silly, narrow minded, homophobic statement. IT IS A BRILLIANT RECORD!! And he is British, if being born in Britain makes you British that is.

That's a silly' date=' narrow minded, homophobic statement. IT IS A BRILLIANT RECORD!! And he is British, if being born in Britain makes you British that is.[/quote']

agree with your statements about being narrow minded n stuff but i don't class people as british just because they were born their, it maybe says it on your passport but your nationality should be where you were brought up, if i was born in some other country but i was taken back here and spent my whole life here then i wouldnt turn round and say i was american or whatever

That's a silly' date=' narrow minded, homophobic statement. IT IS A BRILLIANT RECORD!! And he is British, if being born in Britain makes you British that is.[/quote']

Is he genuinely gay? I just said that because he's like an unintentionally camp version of the big guy in "Of Mice and Men". It's probably unwise of me to call anyone "big" and "queer"

I'm angry because I'm certain he was given it because he's seen to have more substance than fun, danceable, cool bands like Maximo Park and Hard-Fi, because he's a solo artist, he sings sad songs, his accompanimenet is sparse, and he is technically proficient. In reality, he is no more credible. If he wanted to do something of substance with that voice then he could have joined a choir

I'm angry because I'm certain he was given it because he's seen to have more substance than fun' date=' danceable, cool bands like Maximo Park and Hard-Fi, because he's a solo artist, he sings sad songs, his accompanimenet is sparse, and he is technically proficient. In reality, he is no more credible. If he wanted to do something of substance with that voice then he could have joined a choir[/quote']

That's one of the most righteous posts I've ever seen on this website. Congratulations!

"Fatist" and homophobic in one statement. You're just so open minded, aren't you?

agree with your statements about being narrow minded n stuff but i don't class people as british just because they were born their' date=' it maybe says it on your passport but your nationality should be where you were brought up, if i was born in some other country but i was taken back here and spent my whole life here then i wouldnt turn round and say i was american or whatever[/quote']

Are you Enoch Powell?

"Fatist" and homophobic in one statement. You're just so open minded' date=' aren't you?[/quote']

Is he fat? I just knew he was tall, but now there's another reason why he shouldn't be soiling our eyes or our ears

Actually, it's better that The Go! Team, Kaiser Chiefs, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi and Bloc Party didn't win, because the idea of the "pop album" is a hugely oxymoronic one, and it shouldn't be given any more creedence. Antony is still making pop music, just a far less valuable version of it

Is he fat? I just knew he was tall' date=' but now there's another reason why he shouldn't be soiling our eyes or our ears

Actually, it's better that The Go! Team, Kaiser Chiefs, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi and Bloc Party didn't win, because the idea of the "pop album" is a hugely oxymoronic one, and it shouldn't be given any more creedence. Antony is still making pop music, just a far less valuable version of it[/quote']

Christ on a stick, your attempts at intellectual debate makes Johnny Vaughan resemble the new Descartes. Perhaps you should buy a dictionary before you use any more big words. And probably any small words as well, given your frankly astonishing 'fucking big queer' comment. Do your parents know you're using their internet?

that's astonishing. a brave and interesting decision. i've not heard the album all the way through but did have a listen in one up and found it to be delicate and emotional and outwith any trends there are in music right now. someone did point out how he sounds like nina simone though not sure if that's indicating nina's slightly manly tones or his slightly girly ones.

nice to sercretly canadian artists getting some recognition, even if the mercury prize isn't to be taken entirely seriously.

hard fi were never ever gonna win this. because they're shit, not because of any credibility issues, just cause they're shit. :)

i thought bloc party would win it, but quite pleased with the result. once again angers the majority of casual music lovers into collectively shouting "what the fuck?" cause their pop heroes didn't win and the panel had the gall to give it to someone who they've never heard of and who's not as pretty as the other nominees.

why is antony's music less valuable than hard fi's? that's the most ridiculous statement i've ever heard.

Is he genuinely gay? I just said that because he's like an unintentionally camp version of the big guy in "Of Mice and Men". It's probably unwise of me to call anyone "big" and "queer"

I'm angry because I'm certain he was given it because he's seen to have more substance than fun' date=' danceable, cool bands like Maximo Park and Hard-Fi, because he's a solo artist, he sings sad songs, his accompanimenet is sparse, and he is technically proficient. In reality, he is no more credible. If he wanted to do something of substance with that voice then he could have joined a choir[/quote']

He won because he's not popular and it was a popular who one last year and they can't do that every year. And he's brilliant. I'd have been equally happy had Bloc Party or Maximo Park won.

Anthony and The Johnstons are dire. I've given both albums a listen and i think they're interesting in some aspects but definately not deserving of any sort of musical accolade. Bloc Party, KT Tunstall, Kaizer Chiefs and Coldplay are much more accessible and credible musically. I also agree with the choir point, nice.

Anthony and The Johnstons are dire. I've given both albums a listen and i think they're interesting in some aspects but definately not deserving of any sort of musical accolade. Bloc Party' date=' KT Tunstall, Kaizer Chiefs and Coldplay are much more accessible and credible musically. I also agree with the choir point, nice.[/quote']

What exactly do you mean by credible musically? And the KaiZer Chiefs are a football team. :D

What exactly do you mean by credible musically? And the KaiZer Chiefs are a football team. :D

By that i was really meaning that it is pretty unlikely that a bunch of no-marks like A and The J's should be awarded the Mercury prize. What exactly have they done, no ground breaking album to their name, minimal critical acclaim in the music press. In short it doesn't make sense. I'd love to know what criteria the judges use when chosing the winner?

Haha, you do realise i only spelled that wrong 'cause i knew you would pick up on it. It's the old 'Moth to flame' scenario again ;)

By that i was really meaning that it is pretty unlikely that a bunch of no-marks like A and The J's should be awarded the Mercury prize. What exactly have they done' date=' no ground breaking album to their name, minimal critical acclaim in the music press. In short it doesn't make sense. I'd love to know what criteria the judges use when chosing the winner?

Haha, you do realise i only spelled that wrong 'cause i knew you would pick up on it. It's the old 'Moth to flame' scenario again ;)[/quote']

So the Kaiser Cheifs are groundbreaking????

Just out of curiosity, do you actually have ears?

No' date=' i didn't say i liked the Kaiser Chiefs.....

Do you have the ability to not jump to conclusions?[/quote']

don't you just love "musical discussions" on this board ?

It's so wonderful we can get througha day without slagging each other off, all for the sake of getting an OPINION across.

no one should have an opinion here, as no one else cares, lets talk about shite.....something no one can argue with...

hold on, that'd never work....

Balls' date=' great big charblockos.[/quote']

You love it really Neil :D

Also, for the record i dislike Kaiser Chiefs with a passion. They grip my poop shoot. I hate their lyrics, though they do right catchy choruses and uptempo songs which explains why a lot of people with musically short attention spans would love 'em.

:D