aberdeen-music

London won the bid!

Fluffy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a great coup for the U.K. - end of.

I honestly can't believe that anyone would think that this is bad news. It'll be of great benefit economically and it will also give something for our youth to aim towards! Just imagine being a promising 13-16 year old British athlete at the moment. These kids have the chance to win a gold medal in their own fucking backyard. Great news.

As for the stadiums, there will be some permanent and non-permanent stadiums built... Some of the permanent ones will be downgraded after the actual event so that they will be the right size for other sporting events.

Should have known that you would be against it all, Sharon! Didn't see you as much of an athlete!!!! :p

Should have known that you would be against it all' date=' Sharon! Didn't see you as much of an athlete!!!! :p[/quote']

Now... now... that's enough, Lorenson!

Let's not take my wholesome, cuddly figure into this. ;)

Sport makes you hairy... you're living proof.

I'm a lady, I'm not hairy. :angel:

I tire of this incessant casual racism against the French' date=' it bores me and simply underlines the unpleasantness of our society.[/quote']

I agree, it's appaling. Someone should give a medal to the kids in Paris who started setting off firecrackers around the snooty BBC reporter who was trying to rub their face in it. There was a brilliant 2 second look on his face of abject terror as he thought he was being shot.

America's awful for it aswell, last year I witnessed a group of American soldiers in the French section of Epcot, (they were getting in free as a reward for their shooting skills or something), run around taunting the French staff screaming "they are Freedom Fries not French Fries".

Guest tv tanned

Look at the aftermath of the Commonwealth games in Manchester and what was left - a stadium that is now occupied by Man City (a football team), no big increase in sporting activity in Manchester or dramatic improvements, no infrastructure and certainly no legacy. So we come to London and are told that it will allow millions more of our wonderful children to participate in a whole range of different sports - unlikely unless happy slapping is made an Olympic event in time for 2012.

In addition there's all this rubbish about the country being fully behind the bid - depends what country you ask but of course I suppose the only country that counts is so we can just gloss over this.

Does anyone really believe that the hotel prices that have allegedly been fixed (yes that's right for seven years in advance) will actually be so come the big event? That will be just the first of the lies and disappointments associated with 2012. However big Tony won't care - he will already have milked all the credit and left before any of the flak is felt.

I could go on and on but sometimes you have to give way to a better power and a more authoritative voice and I give you Sharon Davies (a surprising choice I know but what she said was so apt it didn't matter that it wasn't from a political heavyweight as it was pure unapologetic truth and in the end there ain't anything more powerful than that!!!!) Go on Sharon tell it like it is

the Olympics will be great for the capital and more than that they will be great for the country - England will benefit tremendously

the Olympics will be great for the capital and more than that they will be great for the country - England will benefit tremendously

Oh... I'm sorry, Davies... I thought Britain was more than one country? Oh wait... you're right... England will benefit and the rest of us will have to cough up.

Fantastic news!

Look at the aftermath of the Commonwealth games in Manchester and what was left - a stadium that is now occupied by Man City (a football team)' date=' no big increase in sporting activity in Manchester or dramatic improvements, no infrastructure and certainly no legacy. So we come to London and are told that it will allow millions more of our wonderful children to participate in a whole range of different sports - unlikely unless happy slapping is made an Olympic event in time for 2012.

[/quote']

Manchester was boosted greatly from the commonwealth games. The plan for the stadium to be used by Manchester City after the event was very good. It meant there was no rarely used stadium jsut sitting in Manchester, it went to a use for which many of the people in Manchester could enjoy.

Manchester was left with much improved sporting facilities, the best of which is the only top class velodrome in the country. Having this was recognised as a significant factor in the success of the British cycling team at the 2004 Olympics.

However the Commonwealth games in comparison ot the olympics is a small event and is not expected to produce the great benefits of the olympics, although it is still widely considered to have had a positive effect on Manchester.

its just abit of fun' date=' the french are just as bad, didnt you hear what their president said about the british last week?[/quote']

Yeah but Chirac said that because he is an arse, not as part of friendly "banter".

It is the same with the Scottish - English thing, for some it can be mearly a sporting rivalry, others just slag off the other as part of a bit of fun, but unfortunately some take it even further and it can become as blatant as racism.

Guest Cowboy Dan

As far as I'm concerned all French people are cunts, for the sole reason that I have to drive a fucking Renault and those bastards couldn't even build a sunroof properly, what kind of sunroof leaks everytime it rains and slowly destroys the immobiliser for the 2nd time costing another 250. I don't give a shit about the olympics, but now i'm glad they're going to be here because at least we know the stadiums we build won't fucking leak.

I swear, if I ever meet Mr Renault...

I tire of this incessant casual racism against the French' date=' it bores me and simply underlines the unpleasantness of our society.[/quote']

I'll never tire of insulting the French. That's why Britain is called 'Great' .... we are simply better than them.

In fact we're better than most Europeans...

French... First to surrender in any war.

Germans... Beaten in 2 wars.

Italians.... Keep changing sides in any war.

Swiss... Stay neutral in a war to avoid trouble.

Spanish... Who?

Guest tv tanned
ITV news reporter speaking about the G8 meal....."On the menu tonight will be Smoked Salmon and Roast Lamb' date=' but President Chirac will be eating a large portion of humble pie with a side order of sour grapes".

I don't know where they find these scriptwriters.[/quote']

oh the mirth...

Yeah but Chirac said that because he is an arse' date=' not as part of friendly "banter".

It is the same with the Scottish - English thing, for some it can be mearly a sporting rivalry, others just slag off the other as part of a bit of fun, but unfortunately some take it even further and it can become as blatant as racism.[/quote']

I do like the banter between football rivalry but there are certain people i know that take it too far, i dont know how many times ive had racist comments about being English..and that's just from my friends.

Why are so many people on here so cynical about...well everything.

This is great news' date=' one of the worlds greatest events happening in our country. The area where the stadium is going to be built is an area of east London which definitely does need investment and revival. This really will benefit the whole country.

In the end i wasn't that suprised London got it as all the talk over the last few days suggested that Paris' popularity was on the slide.

Well I've got my plans for summer 2012. I can't wait.[/quote']

Bravo, some sense at last.

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

1. The 70 million black hole in lottery funding to Scotland' date=' which the government has admitted is being diverted to the London games, won't be filled, meaning grassroots projects miss out[/quote']

If you think about it, though....how many competitors will be running their hearts out when they get on the field? Thats not to mention the fans commuting, the coaches for these athletes and the hot dog vendors. I mean, every man worth his weight in staples knows that this means Carbon Dioxide!!

Carbon Dioxide is what grows plants, not money!

2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012! 2012!