aberdeen-music

12 yr old Brendon Neill

Guest jack bm

Guest jack bm

Hey guys I'm Brendon Neill's dad and manager, He is a solo rock artist from Perth area. He will be off school shortly for the summer and I would like to arrange gigs for him further a field than Perth. He writes all his own songs, plays all the instruments on his recordings and has just signed to a small record label in Edinburgh. Here is links to two of his songs and his website if you would like to look and listen. I hope I've put this thread on the right forum cos' I'm new here. If you can help let me know.

Thanks

Jack

"I won't give in"

http://www.brendon-neill.ukbands.net/uploads/music/I_wont_give_in.mp3

"Drowning"

http://www.brendon-neill.ukbands.net/uploads/music/drowning1.mp3

www.brendon-neill.ukbands.net

Guest jack bm

Thank you Youthgonewild. Daniel, yes and no Brendon has played quite a few gigs around here. I don't know if the licensing laws are the same all over Scotland but technicallly is't as follows. He should not play in a room where there is a bar and should not have to walk through the bar to get to the toilet. If it's a private funtion that does not count. For instance last thursday he played in the Plough Inn, there was a bar but it's a music club. We have also been told he is allowed into premises because he is an entertainer. It all boils down to where he is playing and when. He can also play in the afternoons when there is meals available

Cheers

Jack

Btw what did you think of the music?

I have to be honest, i downloaded Drowning earlier, and its not great..

I mean, for a 12 year old - im very impressed, but its music, entertainment - and you have to take that on the strength of it alone.... the playing is good - but the songwriting and singing were definately not up to the rest of the standard....

sorry to be the twat....

I have to be honest' date=' i downloaded Drowning earlier, and its not great..

I mean, for a 12 year old - im very impressed, but its music, entertainment - and you have to take that on the strength of it alone.... the playing is good - but the songwriting and singing were definately not up to the rest of the standard....

sorry to be the twat....[/quote']

Give the lad time Doc. Yes I agree, after listening to about 4 or 5 tracks, that some of them are weak (by this I don't mean bad, but rather they are too generic, run of the mill), but there are a few which are very good. This little guy has plenty time yet to develop and mature as a singer / songwriter yet. He has the seeds of something very promising here, and I can see him going far if he continues to mature and improve at the rate he has been going. But you do have a point, give it a few years, when Brendon is a little older, he'll need to rely more on musical prowess than the novelty of being so young. I guess there's always two sides to a coin.

Guest jack bm

Okay I was warned before I joined this site that you guys were ruthless. Well I'm thick skinned but the bit I don't understand why you say Doc that the songwritting is that of a 12 yr old. Not to get into a debate but can you tell me of any other 12yr old that could write the lyrics in "Drowning" and "I won't give in" was written as a result of being bullied. I'm not asking this as an argument I would like you to pinpoint what it is that makes you say the song writing is weak so as to improve if we can. As far as the vocals are concerned Brendon has been going through the old voice breaking thing and you can hear the difference from his earlier songs to now. In the above tracks his voice was still breaking and I do agree lacks power but these songs were recorded a few months ago and his voice is so much more powerfull now. The latest song he recorded is "I'll be there for you" which is acoustic bassed. A couple of other things Brendon only started playing guitar seriously 2 yrs ago and the drums and bass a yr and a half ago and has never had a music lesson he is totally self taught. Nobody in the family plays a musical intrument. Youthgonewild thanks for the support.

Jack

I would put the songwriting, and his playing, more at the 15/16 stage myself.

The vocals sound like he's holding back, I'm sure there's more power there which I imagine he'll find with confidence.

I don't see him appealing to an adult audience but he's got years to develop yet, just wait until he get's his heart broken, you'll get a couple of crackers out of that.

Oh, and being talented counts for nearly nothing in this game.

dont you have to be 14 to play most venues/ apart from the cafe accoustic shows

If a venue/club has an 'entertainments license', all venues in Aberdeen with a 2/3am closing time,then there is no legal age restriction. It is at the discretion of the management as to the minimum age allowed... 16/14/12/8/6... Hense wee kids at weddings!

J :up:

Okay I was warned before I joined this site that you guys were ruthless. Well I'm thick skinned but the bit I don't understand why you say Doc that the songwritting is that of a 12 yr old. Not to get into a debate but can you tell me of any other 12yr old that could write the lyrics in "Drowning" and "I won't give in" was written as a result of being bullied. I'm not asking this as an argument I would like you to pinpoint what it is that makes you say the song writing is weak so as to improve if we can. As far as the vocals are concerned Brendon has been going through the old voice breaking thing and you can hear the difference from his earlier songs to now. In the above tracks his voice was still breaking and I do agree lacks power but these songs were recorded a few months ago and his voice is so much more powerfull now. The latest song he recorded is "I'll be there for you" which is acoustic bassed. A couple of other things Brendon only started playing guitar seriously 2 yrs ago and the drums and bass a yr and a half ago and has never had a music lesson he is totally self taught. Nobody in the family plays a musical intrument. Youthgonewild thanks for the support.

Jack

Could you post some lyrics?

(cant listen to music at work)

:)

If a venue/club has an 'entertainments license'' date=' all venues in Aberdeen with a 2/3am closing time,then there is no legal age restriction. It is at the discretion of the management as to the minimum age allowed... 16/14/12/8/6... Hense wee kids at weddings!

J :up:[/quote']

i thought that the entertainment license restrictions are that licensed clubs/pubs can have people over the age of 14 in the building after 7'0clock aslong as their is live entertainment taking place

Guest Main Agent
I think its a beautiful thing to see a father take an interest and support his sons musical development

When I was 13' date=' I played my dad the first song Id ever written and he immediately confiscated my hifi and took the plug of my practice amp[/quote']

Nae wunder yer scrued up noo min!!! :D

i thought that the entertainment license restrictions are that licensed clubs/pubs can have people over the age of 14 in the building after 7'0clock aslong as their is live entertainment taking place

Nope... You'll be thinking of bar/cafe bar license which can vary from place to place depending on food etc. An Entertainment Licence is exactly as it says on the tin. Holding this license stipulates that your reason for being open is to provide entertainment and 'any alchohol sales are ancillary to the provision of said entertainment'. There should be no period of more than 15 minutes where no entertaimnet is being supplied, Estaminet has a dj playing all day. Therefore, given that the 'sale of alchohol is not the purpose of the venue' the age restriction does not stand. As I said most venues will vary but tend to say 14 and above... Believe me it can get very tricky when there are an array of ages in your venue. And just because there is no age limit on the license does not mean that the manager has to let anyone under 18 in, he/she has the last say!

The above reason is why a few venues got into trouble a while back for advertising special offers on booze over an above their entertainment... Ye cannae dee that now

J

p.s

Having under 18's in the venue after regular hours (after 11pm) can vary as well from place to place... Regular hours for an entertainment license are 11-11 with regular extensions from 11-2/3am

I'll stop now!! :D

Try getting in touch with The Foyer

they cater well for young people interested in music and put on the odd gig here and there.

Or ye could try Paul at Kef for a support- there's always loads of very young bands there- cheers Biz.

Guest jack bm
I would put the songwriting' date=' and his playing, more at the 15/16 stage myself.

The vocals sound like he's holding back, I'm sure there's more power there which I imagine he'll find with confidence.

I don't see him appealing to an adult audience but he's got years to develop yet, just wait until he get's his heart broken, you'll get a couple of crackers out of that.[/quote']

His vocals are already alot stronger if you get the chance to see him live you'll hear what I mean. He's played to many an audience aready of all ages some of his followers are in there 50's

Jack

Guest jack bm
they cater well for young people interested in music and put on the odd gig here and there.

Or ye could try Paul at Kef for a support- there's always loads of very young bands there- cheers Biz.

Hi Biz can you tell me how to get in touch with them

Btw support gigs would be good if there is any offers

Jack

Guest jack bm
My parents weren't particularly supporting until the america thing.

Me since the age of about 12:

Can I get a guitar

Parents: No!

Brendon has three electric guitars, two acoustics, bass guitar, drums, keyboards, amps and a PA system and I have paid for them all. I am not well off and at times I've spent money I couldn't afford but it's because I believe in him and he believes in himself. I've also spent about 1400 on recording, I'm not spoiling him or being big headed. Like you said I'm supporting him in what he is doing and I believe it will all come back one day. just to add to that he's getting a Laney twin speeaker for his birthday on the 16th of this month. That's if I can pay it off in time :D I think every parent should support their child in what they are good at as much as they can even if it is only encouragement.

Here's some lyrics Lester

Drowning

You know your falling, the reapers calling

and the day has turned to night.

out of your lungs comes all the air,

As your body tries to fight.

Youre now in a state to meet your fate

As youre battling for air,

Losing your mind and going blind

Into Satans face you stare.

Drowning, drowning in the air

Drowning, no one seems to care

Drowning theres darkness all around,

Struggling to survive, not hearing a sound.

Screaming for help, no ones aware,

Voices in your head that shouldnt be there.

wishing to go back to where you were before,

Suffering please go, dont want it no more.

Try to stay calm, burry your face,

Youre falling apart, full of disgrace.

Sadness bottled up, and sanity gone,

But things will get better just keep holding on

The pain continues, its looking bleak,

As your body starts to become weak

Theres little time for a change of path,

Soon youll endure Satans wrath

Your in a dark tunnel theres a bright light ahead

Is it your angel are your soon to be dead

No its not what you thought Im happy to say

Its the sun thats beaming its a brand new day

chorus

but now it has all disappeared, your feet on solid ground.

I WONT GIVE IN

You try to rip me apart inside

Im sitting here comfortably

Youd never last in my game

Your insults are nothing to me

No matter how hard you try

Youll never crack my code

And through angry tears

Ill take blow after blow

And lie in wait

For my final attack

When your attentions turned

Get you from the back

You can manipulate your gang

to wallow in your filth.

but can you get them to bail you out

when nobody else will

chorus

middle 8

solo

chorus

Brendon neill 2004

Jack

I think considering how old your son is his lyrics show a good structure - the words aren't the greatest but they will undoubtably develope as he matures and gets older - I haven't had the chance to have a listen yet so can't really comment any further.

All the best

- Sharon :)

You appear to be marketing him purely on the basis of his age - I think you should rename the thread "Feedback on Brendan Neill" or whatever, because it seems to me you believe he should be praised because he is 12 and writes songs. Not that I've listened to them yet, but to the general observer that's the way it looks.

I think its a beautiful thing to see a father take an interest and support his sons musical development

When I was 13' date=' I played my dad the first song Id ever written and he immediately confiscated my hifi and took the plug of my practice amp[/quote']

well then, you shouldn't write songs entitled "dad I wish upon you all the pestilence in the world" should you?