aberdeen-music

Singer/Songwriter's in Aberdeen

Volta

Hi folks.

I know there's a decent scene in Aberdeen for punk/rock/metal bands but I was wandering where the openings are for singer/songwriter's with original material who play solo or with an acoustic band set-up.

I'm moving to Aberdeen soon and would like to get involved in the scene as much as I can. I know open-mic nights are a good place to start just to meet folk, get playing etc.

Any thoughts/advice?

There's a lot of singer/songwriters in Aberdeen. I would try to list them all but I might upset some people if I miss them out.

They tend to help each other out as well' date=' in fact it's probably the least bitchy "scene" in Aberdeen.[/quote']

It's true, the acoustic scene in Aberdeen has some really great performers. I've tended to find out that the acoustic scenes are some of the most thriving scene in most cities. I'm off down to an acoustic night in Edinburgh to see someoie perform - a whole new version of stripped down acoustic music, an acapella performer.

I would say that the acoustic artists are imo some of the best in the city and the most underated.

Cheers

Stuart

Hi folks.

I know there's a decent scene in Aberdeen for punk/rock/metal bands but I was wandering where the openings are for singer/songwriter's with original material who play solo or with an acoustic band set-up.

I'm moving to Aberdeen soon and would like to get involved in the scene as much as I can. I know open-mic nights are a good place to start just to meet folk' date=' get playing etc.

Any thoughts/advice?[/quote']

Id say that theres a strong scene for the type of music that you want to do. It just a matter of checking out other artists doing the same thing then checking out the various venues for gigs. Theres a link to one of my friends websites below, shes a solo artist experienced in gigging with an acoustic set up as well as on her own.

Good luck

http://www.clairehamilton.co.uk/

There's a lot of singer/songwriters in Aberdeen. I would try to list them all but I might upset some people if I miss them out.

They tend to help each other out as well' date=' in fact it's probably the least bitchy "scene" in Aberdeen.[/quote']

I agree. Watch out for the rockers, they are the bitchy ones

jsmith beat me to it; I was about to recommend Claire Hamilton as well. She has a website with MP3s available for download on the Media, andmore importantlyan utterly fantastic voice. She's playing in 17th July at Drummonds for a massive all-day charity gig, alongside:

Gerry Jablonski

Alan Davidson (of the Kitchen Cynics)

Phil Rae

Reasons Are Red

Little Kicks

Delaware

The Beard

Lorenzo Snow Collective

Kathryn Sawers

I can strongly recommend Kathryn Sawers and Alan Davidson/The Kitchen Cynics from experience; Kathryn has a really good voice/piano combination, and Alan Davidson is extremely clever with his lyrics. Prices and times for the gig have yet to be confirmed.

Nice one! Good to hear that there's other similiar folks doing their thing on the scene. Gig at Drummonds sounds interesting. I think they also do an open mic night but not sure what night of the week.

Anyone else know which other venues put on open mic thingies?

Tunnels open mic has been moved to tuesday nights (about bloody time).(wayhey!!!!!)

Hosted by the marvellous Angry Scott.

If you wanna get gigs in Aberdeen as a solo acoustic performer best idea is to go along to Open mic on thursdays at Cellar 35 and play. Then speak to Andy (can't miss him, hairy, mohawk) if he likes you he'll probably want to help you out.