aberdeen-music

Pubs of the harbour area

Bobby

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres few places in the 'deen i wouldn't enter just out of curiosity' date=' or if i was on a crawl. I've refused to ever go to the ministry just purely cuz of the music and the type of folks who frequent it, but i probably would go in,though i doubt i ever will. One exception is the priory, despite it not seeming particulary bad on the 1st occasion, on the second some guy clocked me on the stairs as i was goin up, and i had my hair tied back, and he shouted "fuckin' mullet" (which i definitely don't have) and he proceeded to spit on my neck as i hurried past him. Thats the only occasion i can think of, an experience in a pub/club has completely put me off going there again.[/quote']

The Minsitry is actually pretty decent if you pick your night carefully. Go on a night when there is something special on, like a Cream night or something, and it'll be full of proper clubbers, who are wonderful people, instead of the regular townies.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Laura@TMB
I'll take you on a tour if you like - I've been drinking down there for over 15 years.

None of the pubs are particularily onerous. The worst pub I was ever in was The Dancing Cairns in Northfield.

As for the harbour... from memory:

Aitchies - great bar' date=' very clean, good beer.

Lorne - good fun.

Criterion - opens early, shuts early, full of train workers.

Tap Room - home of 'Spinal Steve' therefore best avoided.

Wyness' - doesn't count.

Wagleys - decent friendly bar.

Schooner - novelty value only. Go there the morning after being burgled to buy your stolen goods back at a knock down price.

Drift Inn - dead these days, used to have a good Sat aft jam going back in the day.

Moorings - fuckin dump.

Crown & Anchor - good karaoke. Friendly. Tell Val I was asking for her.

Regent Bridge - wear something green and nothing blue and you'll be OK. Tell Frankie I was asking for him.

Yard Arm / Molly Maguires - became Fidel's gay bar then closed down.

Cafe Characters - very clean and friendly bar, nice people.

Cutters Warf - Used to be OK but a bit noisey now. Can be lively.

Peep Peeps - My favourite. Wish they would fix the jukebox. Tell Chris I was asking for him.

Crow's Nest - shut down but it was a decent bar with a good jukebox.

St Clements - full of hookers last time I was in. Avoid at all costs.

Fittie Bar - Nice clean bar with nice people that live in Fittie. Pretty up market.

Neptune Bar - decent bar with tootie the dog. Nice couple run in. Good pool table. Good jukebox. the worst bogs in Scotland.[/quote']

Well, you can take The Schooner off of this list now, it's been shut for a few days and I noticed today that it was being boarded up.

Well' date=' you can take The Schooner off of this list now, it's been shut for a few days and I noticed today that it was being boarded up.[/quote']

Of course it could just be that someone has nicked their windows.

The 524 has been boarded up for 10 years and it's still open.

It's probably just additional soundproofing so they can hold more all day raves.

If it did shut it would leave a gaping hole in the market, at least until Cash Converters get an on-sales license. And where would the police dump all the drunks at six in the morning?

Is the 524 the one that claims to be a "Cocktail Bar". I fancy walking in there and asking for a Screaming Orgasm. I once saw a guy walk in there with an ironing board under his arm and a bag of towels. That's about as much of a story as I can tell. Other than the fact that I'm a student and I've dared the Seaton Arms. Really, there is nothing too fear. And I feel intimidated in the Public Bar of the Westhill Hotel

The Minsitry is actually pretty decent if you pick your night carefully. Go on a night when there is something special on' date=' like a Cream night or something, and it'll be full of proper clubbers, who are wonderful people, instead of the regular townies.[/quote']

Well, cheers for the advice, now instead of it being 12% likely i'll ever go in, its around 50/50 if theres a night on and i'm with folks who are goin. I'm up for experiencing anything i haven't as yet, even if i never do again, its worth it for once at least.

What was the harbour bar that featured in the Roughest Pubs In Britain on Sky One? It might have been the Crow's Nest. Apparently the husband of the propietor entered it as a joke' date=' and she was fumings as it's just a nice wee sailor's pub[/quote']

It was Chris fae Peep Peeps. His pub wasn't at all rough and now it's empty too. They tried to get us to feature in that programme but we told them to fuck off or we'd kick their heads in... err I mean we politely declined.

Peep Peep's (The Commerce Inn) brings back many happy childhood memories for me, as my dad used to take me for a 'run in the car' most Saturdays, which consisted of being driven to Peep Peep's and left in the car with a sausage roll and a P&J while he had a few pints/nips of the low-flyer. He was a pal of the original Peep Peep, from back in Laurencekirk (who put cartoons all over the walls, etc, and was fond of saying "Commerce Inn...or ony wey ye like!")

Those were, apparently, the days! (the 60s, maaaaaan)

Peep Peep's (The Commerce Inn) brings back many happy childhood memories for me' date=' as my dad used to take me for a 'run in the car' most Saturdays, which consisted of being driven to Peep Peep's and left in the car with a sausage roll and a P&J while he had a few pints/nips of the low-flyer. He was a pal of the original Peep Peep, from back in Laurencekirk (who put cartoons all over the walls, etc, and was fond of saying "Commerce Inn...or ony wey ye like!")

Those were, apparently, the days! (the 60s, maaaaaan)[/quote']

Chris told me that the bar got the name Peep Peeps because the guy that started it was a lorry driver and the name referred to him blowing his horn (no smutty implication intended). But he also said that they did get a load of people in expecting it to be a tits oot bar. There used to be an old guy that worked there with Chris for a long time called 'Click Click', his real name was Alec.

This is how I remember the layout of the shore back when I started drinking:

Neptune

ST Clements

Fittie Bar

Crazy Daisy's (now the Crows Nest, and since closed)

Peep Peeps Bar

Cutters Warf

The Yard Arm (turned into an office)

The Glenlivet (now Cafe Characters, a nice bar)

Regent Bridge Bar

The Crown & Anchor

The Argo (now the Harbour Bar, scheduled for demolition)

The Moorings

Sir Laffalots (was Drakes, since closed)

The Venue (closed boo hoo)

The Drift Inn

The Schooner (new windows)

The Anchorage

The Quarterdeck (closed)

Chris told me that the bar got the name Peep Peeps because the guy that started it was a lorry driver and the name referred to him blowing his horn (no smutty implication intended). But he also said that they did get a load of people in expecting it to be a tits oot bar. There used to be an old guy that worked there with Chris for a long time called 'Click Click'' date=' his real name was Alec.[/quote']

That sounds right, as my dad was a lorry mechanic...I think they used to work together (probably at William Tawse. He always shouted Peep Peep!! at my dad when he came into the bar).

The Yardarm used to be great. One of the first real ale pubs, you could get a decent pint and a hunk of the cheese of your choice to go with it. I partially remember a great night in there and then walking all the way home to Mastrick listening awestruck to the first Smiths album on the day of its release. I bought it on vinyl and cassette.