aberdeen-music

Minor Threat/Nike Ordeal

Stephen

taken from punknews.org:

According to this story, multi-billion dollar shoemaker, Nike has stolen the legendary artwork of hardcore pioneers, Minor Threat. Destined for a campaign called Major Threat, the style and iconic imagery was used for the advertising and done so without the permission of Washington, D.C. based indie Dischord. The label owns the copyright on both the recording and artwork. When asked by Pitchfork, the label had this to say with regards to permission:

No, they stole it and we're not happy about it. Nike is a giant corporation which is attempting to manipulate the alternative skate culture to create an even wider demand for their already ubiquitous brand. Nike represents just about the antithesis of what Dischord stands for and it makes me sick to my stomach to think they are using this explicit imagery to fool kids into thinking that the general ethos of this label, and Minor Threat in particular, can somehow be linked to Nike's mission. It's disgusting.

Dischord is currently evaluating it's options

art work below:

Original

minorthreat-cv.jpg

Copy

majorthreat-ad.jpg

Original

minorthreat-logo.jpg

Copy

majorthreat-logo.jpg

Guest Page 99

Fair enough. But even though the law is very much in favour of dischord I just have a small feeling that they could somehow get fucked over on this.. which would be a shame.

Inadequeacy?? Is that what you call the difference between Nike and Dischord's bank balances?! Remember the golden rule' date=' he who has the gold makes the rules.

Anyway, the ad looks so shit, I'm sure its a joke![/quote']

But if they have all the copyright stuff sorted they shouldn't have a problem. Has nothing to do with the size of their bank balance. Obviously Nike will have better lawyers tho, so if Dischord don't have everything in order they'll easily take adavntage of it.

You never heard that money talks?!

Remember Ian MacKaye was probably 18 years old when that single was released, copyrights weren't so high on the agenda as releasing the records and getting them out there was at that time...so things may have been overlooked. Dischord is also essentially still a shoestring operation, Nike could have more people in their legal department than the total amount of members to appear on Dischord records releases!!! :D (which wouldn't be hard, all dischord records are essentially the same 10 people or so forming new bands :dunce:)

[thats a joke]

also, everyone is "blaming nike" here...

do you think the board of Nike, who commissioned the work, are up on 1980's punk ?...

If anyone, blame the cheeky c*nt designer who went a head with ripping off minor threat, and no the suits, who thought they were getting a "nice design"...

unless it was pitched as "hey, there is this old record cover I'd like to copy for your multi million dollar sk8 campaign"...

"ah, the copy dollar, I hear that's a big dollar bill, nice"

"no, fuck you, stick your copy dollar up your ass"

"ah, the fuck you dollar, big market there bill..."

I think its too easy to say blame the designer here :p

hey, I am a designer !...

lst time I heard, Nike wasn't a design agency...and do they have an "in house" design team ?...

I wonder if this'll be in the CR next month ? they usualy make big shows of nabbed design, and "right wrongs" (creatively).

we'll see.