aberdeen-music

Ok, where should we record?

Hog

ok right back on topic.....

I just spent an afternoon recording in Captain Tom's and i take back every bad word i have ever said about the place.

The two demo songs we recorded sound amazing, we went in there knowing what we wanted with all of our equipment in good shape and the results for only 6 hours work were amazing. Paul was great to work with as well, i would highly recommend bands go to record their demos there, BUT they need to spend time making sure they know every inch of the songs they are going to record, that really at the end of the day is one of the most important things.

Plus the price at Tom's can't really be beaten in aberdeen for quality of recording you get again if you know what you are doing.

CAC' date='

OK I am satisfied that you and Nathan are 2 entirely different people, although obviously this did come as a surprise! I have deleted and ammended my earlier posts to reflect this. My appologies to both Nathan and yourself - I've been a tit.

I would appreciate it if anyone who has quoted me would likewise delete my quotes so that I don't look a complete tit for all eternity.

CAC - For what it's worth, I wasn't belittling your spelling, grammer etc... IMO they just have amazing similarities to user 'oceanrockstudios' who appears a few pages back on this thread. You both phrase things the same way and use a lot of the same words. If you check that out, and then re-read my (now deleted) post in that context, it should appear less offensive.

These forums are interesting in that the people here regularily encounter each other in real life... and anonimity is a major cause of grief! As you have already discovered I am one of the people here that is publicly accountable. In that I can usually be traced and located in around 5 minutes. There are people frequenting here that resort to multiple accounts. On one thread 3 'people' ganged up on me, and they all turned out to be the same axe grinding cocksuker LMAO! That's why I am oversensitive to anyone posting anonymously under multple accounts.[/quote']

Hi Flash,

No need to delete your posts....doesnt bother me. I agree you are a very public face on the forum.....kudos for that actually.

Forums by their very nature can create all sorts of bad vibes (sometimes). I always tend to think we all play a slightly exaggerated and cartoonised version of ourselves on forums.....or something like that.

Mind you Im no angel at all

:D

Ill be popping down to the moorings someday and hopefully we can have a beer.....Anyway Im interested in seeing soundscape in action.

:cheers:

Ill be popping down to the moorings someday and hopefully we can have a beer.....Anyway Im interested in seeing soundscape in action.

I'm usually there on Sundays, just I've been troubled with the flu lately. Mark (MTA) usually does some mixing during the daytime through the week also, which is the best time to see Soundscape. If you send a PM to MTA on this forum then he can arrange something with you.

You asked about bands on another thread - is there any type of band in particular that you're interested in? I've seen most of them! Off the top of my head... on the Moorings CD Compilation CD in our jukebox (there are 2 such CDs one is a comp and the other is an album), try Track 1 - The Videos and see what you think.

And if you can make it down on Saturday the 10th of December we have a good line up that night.

Hi Flash,

Im interested in anything except thrash metal. But then again one mans thrash metal is anothers Abba.....Like all music the genre terminology change every six months. Punk to me is the sex pistols, but I have a feeling what is termed punk now wont sound like the punk I know.

Im more in to indie crossover guitar bands. Stuff like UNKLE is right up my street. But generally any band thats interesting I want to see them.

A good place to start will be the morrings CD. If MTA is ok with me coming down one afternoon that would be great. I will PM him.

Thanks for the info/advice

C :)

Hi Flash' date='

Im interested in anything except thrash metal. But then again one mans thrash metal is anothers Abba.....Like all music the genre terminology change every six months. Punk to me is the sex pistols, but I have a feeling what is termed punk now wont sound like the punk I know.

Im more in to indie crossover guitar bands. Stuff like UNKLE is right up my street. But generally any band thats interesting I want to see them.

A good place to start will be the morrings CD. If MTA is ok with me coming down one afternoon that would be great. I will PM him.

Thanks for the info/advice

C :)[/quote']

Here's a few to look out for, there are many more, this is just off the top of my head:

The Videos - I already mentioned them electronica meets punk rock.

Right Hand Left - these are pure indie, very good musicians.

The Ghost of Bongo - very hard to pidgeon hole, but essentially bass driven funk. Again very good musicians and great material.

AKA The Fox - relocated to Glasgow I think, they are a jazz rock fusion with programmed beats.

Stroszek - they are an 80s electronica influenced band. Remind me a little of early Depeche Mode.

48K - they've had a tough time of it recently with illness and injury, but seemt to be getting back on their feet.

The Money Shot - not loved on these boards but I like them. Reminiscant of The Faces but rockier.

From Edinburgh but honorary Aberdonians are Deadendstereo. They are Indie, the songs are dark with soaring vocals.

From Glasgow - Miss The Occupier, a punk indie fusion, female lead vocals. Josephine you probably already heard of, but unfortunately it looks like they might be splitting up. their have a funeral gig at Drummonds soon. Also worth checking out are The Flying Matchstick Men.

EDIT: DOH how stupid of me. I forgot to mention:

Eric Euan - soft indie rock with 3 guitars and shared vocals. Very popular, very tight, and great material.

Red Man Walking - darker 2 guitar indie. Just released a CD. You can catch them on the 10th December in The Moorings.

Guest Les Stroszek

Stroszek - they are an 80s electronica influenced band. Remind me a little of early Depeche Mode.

From Glasgow - Miss The Occupier' date=' a punk indie fusion, female lead vocals. Josephine you probably already heard of, but unfortunately it looks like they might be splitting up. their have a funeral gig at Drummonds soon.

[/quote']

Hey thanks. Thats a new one on us. We're just to getting 'oh you sound like Interpol' thrown in our faces so thats much cooler! We're playing the Moorings again on 3rd December for Dead Anyway so that'll be good fun. We've managed to scrape some pennies together and buy a proper synth now so we can do more eletro stuff. Sad to see Josephine are splitting up. Really great guys and I had a great time when I went to T in The Park with them when they played T Break.

Here's a few to look out for' date=' there are many more, this is just off the top of my head:

[/quote']

PLUG TIME :p

Come see Strozek tomorrow night playing with the Jo McCafferty Band at Moshulu. Another great indie band Stanley are playing the same night and you can hear the interesting sound of Jo backed by a band,

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Les Stroszek

Well our name is spelt S-T-R-O-S-Z-E-K s before the z remember! We like Joy Division obviously and we occasionally cover New Orders 'Ceremony' but they are one of many influences we have. Our song 'No More Exclusives' that got played on the radio is based around quite a JD-esque guitar riff and drum pattern think thats where people get the idea from. We do some stuff thats sounds nothing like JD. Also JD were a great band so theres no shame in sounding a bit like them if its done well. Hope you can come and watch us MK11. Tommorow perhaps? We've got tickets to sell so if anyones coming along get in touch via either a PM or leave a message on www.myspace.com/stroszekuk. Honestly what a shamless plug!

Hey thanks. Thats a new one on us. We're just to getting 'oh you sound like Interpol' thrown in our faces so thats much cooler! We're playing the Moorings again on 3rd December for Dead Anyway so that'll be good fun. We've managed to scrape some pennies together and buy a proper synth now so we can do more eletro stuff. Sad to see Josephine are splitting up. Really great guys and I had a great time when I went to T in The Park with them when they played T Break.

What kind of synth did you get, just out of nosiness. A microkorg?

Well our name is spelt S-T-R-O-S-Z-E-K s before the z remember! We like Joy Division obviously and we occasionally cover New Orders 'Ceremony' but they are one of many influences we have. Our song 'No More Exclusives' that got played on the radio is based around quite a JD-esque guitar riff and drum pattern think thats where people get the idea from. We do some stuff thats sounds nothing like JD. Also JD were a great band so theres no shame in sounding a bit like them if its done well. Hope you can come and watch us MK11. Tommorow perhaps? We've got tickets to sell so if anyones coming along get in touch via either a PM or leave a message on www.myspace.com/stroszekuk. Honestly what a shamless plug!

Oops I knew itr was spelt that way, honestly;)

See you guys tomorrow.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Les Stroszek
What kind of synth did you get' date=' just out of nosiness. A microkorg?[/quote']

Its a Korg. I can't remember the model name I'll tell you next time I see it. It only cost about 200 pounds from Ebay. We uset it in Glasgow for the first time last week both me and Richey play it live. I want to do more keyboard-y stuff I think in the future.

Well, we recorded the drums and bass at Toms and are currently working with Compuphonic who has a really cool home computer set up for the guitars/vocals. That is for 2 songs.

Then we are probably going to record a single (the other 2 are like B side thingys) at the Mill hopefully. Would of ideally recrded at the Byre but well, we dont play enough gigs to get the dosh together.

Here's a few to look out for' date=' there are many more, this is just off the top of my head:

The Videos - I already mentioned them electronica meets punk rock.

Right Hand Left - these are pure indie, very good musicians.

The Ghost of Bongo - very hard to pidgeon hole, but essentially bass driven funk. Again very good musicians and great material.

AKA The Fox - relocated to Glasgow I think, they are a jazz rock fusion with programmed beats.

48K - they've had a tough time of it recently with illness and injury, but seemt to be getting back on their feet.

The Money Shot - not loved on these boards but I like them. Reminiscant of The Faces but rockier.

From Edinburgh but honorary Aberdonians are Deadendstereo. They are Indie, the songs are dark with soaring vocals.

From Glasgow - Miss The Occupier, a punk indie fusion, female lead vocals. Josephine you probably already heard of, but unfortunately it looks like they might be splitting up. their have a funeral gig at Drummonds soon. Also worth checking out are The Flying Matchstick Men.

EDIT: DOH how stupid of me. I forgot to mention:

Eric Euan - soft indie rock with 3 guitars and shared vocals. Very popular, very tight, and great material.

Red Man Walking - darker 2 guitar indie. Just released a CD. You can catch them on the 10th December in The Moorings.[/quote']

Hey thanks Flash for the suggestions. Ill be sure to check out these acts as soon as I can.

Cheers

:cheers:

I would like to add:

Onion Terror

Technically they are classified as a punk band, but they have some deep jazz fushion thing, and the songs have great imagination and humour content. Their fans favourite number "Chewbacca" is on the Moorings live CD... but this isn't their best song.

Catch them live! And if any promoters are listening - please book them again for us ASAP :)

• 5 years later...

Where To Record?

I've been reading over some of the post's on this thread, and they all raise valid point's, and total " BS!!" in some cases. I worked as a pro session musician for 18 years, and have recorded in some amazing studios where sometimes the end result was terrible. At the end of the day no amount of expensive gear will benefit anyone if they don't know what their doing with it in the first place! The chap from Oceanrock is offering an alternative to some of the other studio facilities in Aberdeen, so where's the harm in that? I'm just about to offer my studio and expertise to local bands at a very reasonable rate. The reason? Because I've heard so many duff recordings come out of studio's in Aberdeen, and I'm amazed that bands continue to shell out money on crap facilities. Exile for example, someone mentioned on here that the studio has it's own production sound? For a start the guy at Exile uses drum replacement software for drum sounds, so your triggering a batch of samples basically. Being a drummer myself, I know that drums can be one of the most challenging instruments to record in the studio, but years of working in studios has taught me how to get an amazing drum sound. Why go to Exile with 5K worth of drumkit just for the guy to trigger samples??

All these bands that go to Tom's to record, they book a 4 hour recording / mixing session and wonder why it sounds crap when they get home? Now full respect to the engineer at Tom's, but doing an Audio Engineering course at the college doesn't nessasarily mean he's a good sound engineer. Also the subject of bad acoustics plays a major part in why demos from small studios usually sound bad. Tom's live room is breeze block with carpet stuck on it? It's always going to produce a boxy, mid sounding honk. As for the Mill, recorded there many times over the years. Always found the recordings lacked any depth to them, and Nial's ears are fried as he always seems to pile on top-end to everything.

Yes you get what you pay for with studios in Aberdeen, but that usually means paying good money on a recording that 9 times out of 10 will sound sub-standard. The problem the chap at Oceanrock faces, is trying to convince local bands that he can do just as good a job, if not better than Tom's or Exile etc. I agree that 25 an hour is quite a bit to shell out, especially for some of the facilities and what they provide. I do think the all-inclusive recording / mixing package is a good idea, and that is what my studio is going to concentrate on.

Here's my all inclusive deal for 250.. 2 x 8 hour recording sessions

1 x 8 hour mixing session.

My advice to any band would be rather that trying to record 12 songs in 4 hours ( like some studios?), Choose your best 3 tracks, and concentrate on getting the most out of the sessions to get those three tracks sounding as good as they can! Here's a link for anyone interested.. The Village Recording Studio

This thread is 6 years old...

Also bad mouthing your competitors on a public forum isn't the best way of getting new business. Especially a forum where many of those competitors are members or have friends and loyal customers who are members.