aberdeen-music

Happy Slappin whats it all about and is jackass etc to blame

Brymon

Guest bluesxman
Violence begins at home in whatever shape or form. I think you are totallly misguided in your opinions on discipline. Kids can only learn respect and kindness + empathy for others if they get that at home. am not saying people from rough homes arnt capable of empathy ...but generally to hit your kids only leads leads to them having psychological issues and certainly doesnt teach anyone a lesson..

Sorry but I don't consider myself as coming from a 'rough home' just because my father used a form of discipline. I personally agree with his actions and believe your views are misguided. If he had beat the shit out of me for no reason that's a different matter.

Why do people seem unable to distinguish in any form or fashion? Is it too complicated to think of things in differing situations? It was the same in the capital punishment thread. It's too easy to generalise every conceivable situation.

I have known people in my life who were totally mollycoddled by their parents and used to run away from home to get what they wanted and their parents would buckle and buy them whatever. They were also some of the most violent people I have ever met. Maybe they were just that way inclined no matter what but I can't help but think lack of discipline is a key part of it.

Anyway, I see in todays paper some poor wee 5 year old was possibly hung from a tree by a gang of boys and girls. had deep rope burns on his neck. It would be interesting to know their family situation, I bet all 5 of them weren't from 'rough' homes. :down:

Guest bluesxman
I never said that they were the same. Still do you think that was the first time they had hurt someone' date=' hitting kids can still give them the idea that violence can be ok, which could be the start down a long road. There's no real way of knowing why someone like this does what they do, and i there isn't any perfect solution, so really it's jsut all people's opinion, but I jsut don't think that hitting them when they're young will prevent them from being violent in the future. Also the too many parents that do hit their children probaly do so out of their own frustration and anger rahter than a concern for their children.[/quote']

I'm not suggesting hitting kids is OK as a matter of course. People who beat their children out of frustration at their own problems are unforgiveable. I'm saying that discipline which is clearly for a reason can be an effective deterrent. Of course there will always be some who would be unreachable no matter what tactic was used.

Guest haigyman
There are less and less ways to discipline kids these days' date=' No capital punishment at school, parents can't hit their kids for fear of being sued/divorced/whatever. It's laughable, can the people who pass these stupid laws not see the equation

No disciplinary measures = no discipline.

A good clout round the head off the old man made me think twice about whatever I didi wrong, i'll tell ya. Never did me no harm 'twitch, dribble'

I'm sure a stern talking to really bothers the average ned.[/quote']

capital punishment at school? like...beheading a child for not handing in homework on time?

Sorry but I don't consider myself as coming from a 'rough home' just because my father used a form of discipline. I personally agree with his actions and believe your views are misguided. If he had beat the shit out of me for no reason that's a different matter.

Why do people seem unable to distinguish in any form or fashion? Is it too complicated to think of things in differing situations? It was the same in the capital punishment thread. It's too easy to generalise every conceivable situation.

I have known people in my life who were totally mollycoddled by their parents and used to run away from home to get what they wanted and their parents would buckle and buy them whatever. They were also some of the most violent people I have ever met. Maybe they were just that way inclined no matter what but I can't help but think lack of discipline is a key part of it.

Anyway' date=' I see in todays paper some poor wee 5 year old was possibly hung from a tree by a gang of boys and girls. had deep rope burns on his neck. It would be interesting to know their family situation, I bet all 5 of them weren't from 'rough' homes. :down:[/quote']

. I was just trying to make the point that not all people end up violent if they are victims of physical punishment. But to make my point clearer I would say families in which parents physically chastise their kids are 'rough' simply because they use violence. (whether it be excessive or not).There doesnt have to be poverty.

Am not having a dig at you I hope it doesnt come across that way, just I have quite strong veiws on how we treat kids.

Guest bluesxman
. I was just trying to make the point that not all people end up violent if they are victims of physical punishment. But to make my point clearer I would say families in which parents physically chastise their kids are 'rough' simply because they use violence. (whether it be excessive or not).There doesnt have to be poverty.

Am not having a dig at you I hope it doesnt come across that way' date=' just I have quite strong veiws on how we treat kids.[/quote']

Yup that's cool and I support your views to an extent - but i'm not saying that people who end up violent are the result of violence, quite the opposite. And I never mentioned poverty as a link at all, not sure where that comes in. I'm certainly not from a background which is under OR overpriviledged. Just a regular family. I'm 33 so may come from a different era of punishment but most people I know of my age were disciplined via smacked arse/ear/ whatever and all agree that it was a good lesson in life. Not one feels they were subject to abuse in any form.

I'm no expert but can't help but feel abuse of children stems from resentment that the parent has lost out in some way due to having to care for a child, by loss of freedom, money troubles, etc.

Anyway at risk of being called an idiot again i'll make that my last word on the topic.

It just seems funny to me that the child always seems to be the victim. If one of these kids was to get properly punished for what they have done then there will be an outcry because of their age. Not because they went and punch,kicked even set fire to someone "for a laugh". We live in a society that seems to protect the criminals, instead of the victims, as was demonstrated earlier on in this thread!!! (jonny lucifer)

When i was younger i got myself into positions where i could have done quite bad things, spurred on by peer pressure, but the thought of what my dad would do to me if he found out always made me look like a pussy infront of others that i used to call friends. Kids nowadays dont react to " dont do it again" or even "your grounded" because they dont fear or respect their parents, which i blame on the parents and the world we live in.

These children will grow up and be adults, could you imagine if they never learn respect etc, the world will be even more fucked up. I dont like the way things are now and i think it will get a lot worse before it gets any better!

When i was younger i got myself into positions where i could have done quite bad things' date=' spurred on by peer pressure, but the thought of what my dad would do to me if he found out always made me look like a pussy infront of others that i used to call friends. Kids nowadays dont react to " dont do it again" or even "your grounded" because they dont fear or respect their parents, which i blame on the parents and the world we live in.

[/quote']

that is very much the same as me. Most of the time the only thing stopping me doing stupid stuff was when i realised if my dad found out i would of gotten hit. May not sound like the best of options but hey i didnt go round hitting people or stealing.

that is very much the same as me. Most of the time the only thing stopping me doing stupid stuff was when i realised if my dad found out i would of gotten hit. May not sound like the best of options but hey i didnt go round hitting people or stealing.

yeah, you can tell the difference between a hit and a severe beatin unlike mostly every other fucker. I just live my life day to day, i work, come home and spend time with my fiance and my son. i keep myself to myself and let everyone else get on with their lives.

yeah' date=' you can tell the difference between a hit and a severe beatin unlike mostly every other fucker. I just live my life day to day, i work, come home and spend time with my fiance and my son. i keep myself to myself and let everyone else get on with their lives.[/quote']

There is a huge difference between a beating and disapline from your parents, however thats not to say that line doesnt get crossed from time to time. I do understand people saying you shouldnt hit children but really when you look at it over the last what 20 years, when less and less parents have hit their children, crime has increased almost every single year. Im not saying this is the only reason for it obviously but clearly when you have shit like happy slapping and what have you coming along its clear it has some effect.

Ill tell you what some of stories my dad told me about what happened to him if he misbehaved were almost enought to make me shiver, haha i can imagine the outcry if it happened nowadays.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
There are less and less ways to discipline kids these days' date=' [b']No capital punishment at school, parents can't hit their kids for fear of being sued/divorced/whatever..

Yeah, I miss the days when kids were executed for misbehaving - glad I lived to tell the tale!

Guest Tam o' Shantie
capital punishment at school? like...beheading a child for not handing in homework on time?

fuck! 'beaten' to it, ho ho ho. Oh well, maybe mine was funnier? Sigh. I guess i've just been 'pwned'

ive been smacked by the folks on countless occascions and still do from time to time(im 28) but thats because ive done something to deserve it. if i ever caught one of these "happy slappers"id kick the shit outta them and fuck the videophone id have a film crew and make sure everybody seen it then make the person tell everyone just own hurtful,humilyatin(spellin?lol)and degradeing it is,then make them go right up to the person they attacked and make them say sorry to there faces.

but hey thats just one guys opinion

Guest bluesxman
fuck! 'beaten' to it' date=' ho ho ho. Oh well, maybe mine was funnier? Sigh. I guess i've just been 'pwned'[/quote']

F**k, CORPORAL punishment, ha ha. Head was still in the other thread about the death penalty, duh.....

Guest tv tanned

I have an idea for a new craze called happy-slapping-happy-slapping.

Basically you roam around town looking for someone committing the act of 'happy slapping' and you then proceed to kick seven shades of shit out of them.

No need for a video phone, the immense sense of satisfaction will last a lifetime.

Guest tv tanned
I had this idea also' date=' although my variety was to take their phone off them, film them getting their teeth kicked down their throat, then send it on to all their mates in their address book who were waiting to see some old guy get set on fire...[/quote']

Good shout

Thats a pretty fantastic idea.

Naturally, its probably a bit risky openly talking of it on a website!

I'll meet you guys at 9pm Friday night next to the Tunnels...from here we can divide all the black we have for camoflage....i'm 30" waist though so no baggy stuff

(Not Birdman)

you guys should watch that supernanny or nanny 911 to see how to deal with kids. hitting them is never an answer, it just shows a lack of ideas/patience/dtermination.

i'm not saying a smack now and again is harmful. but surely to god if it's avoidable then it should be avoided. kids deserve and need attention their entire lives and need to be taught the meaning of right and wrong, respect and morality. but they need to actually be taught it, not have it beaten into them. if you'd asked me why i didn't do something bad as a kid my answer would probably have been "because i'll get a smack". i knew it was wrong but didn't properly understand why. the only way a kid can understand is by speaking to them and talking to them in ways they can associate with their lives.

happy slapping is just another way for kids to get attention and to be crowned kings amongst fools. there's a lot more at stake here than blaming tv and smacking kids. it's our whole society that's fucked up. somethings gonna give, but i have no idea what. we live in a relatively safe city and all of us have seen or been involved in violent or intimidating attacks. imagine how bad it is in glasgow, birmingham, manchester and london. unless there's a rapid change in our society towards educating and encouraging parents, kids and everyone to be nicer to folks then there's going to be all manner of crazy shit going on over the next 20 years.

Kids do things for attention. If they're not rewarded from a very early age with attention, affection and time from their parents then it's easy for them to begin doing bad things to get attention (even if it's the bad kind). I personally think that lots of people don't praise their children enough meaning the kids will be naughty in order to get their parents to notice them or speak to them.

It might start off with throwing toys and drawing on the wallpaper when you're three but if those kind of parenting habits aren't nipped in the bud early on, next thing you know, it's too late to form a loving and close relationship with your kids and they're off down the high street happy-slapping*.

Having said that, come find me when I've got teenagers and I'll probably be cursing them for stealing cars and stuff.

*May be an exaggeration.