aberdeen-music

When did the Simpsons lose it?

Birdman

We all face the facts every time we turn on Channel 4....Simpsons these days is God Awful!

We all know that no-one really likes Simpsons anymore but feel the need to continually laugh at it because it still IS the Simpsons.

But when did the deterioration begin?

Matt Groening left in 1996 but I don't think the decline really started until about mid 97.

What do you think?

(Not Birdcage)

EDIT: For illiterate folks here: - Simpsons cartoon series...Why would Matt Groening fuck around with any other Simpsons!?!?!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Simpsons is still pretty darn good just considerably less so than before. I think it's just because you can't keep up that degree of consistent hilarity for that long and the simpsons started off by setting the bar so high for itself that we were always gonna become disappointed with it over time.

Considering every episode on Channel 4 has been a Golden Olide, you are obviously void of humour....

The real newer Simpsons, aren't that great, its either the same joke, or its a token guest who no one in the UK has heard of, or a hot topic at the time, by which time it surfaces in the UK is old and dead anyway and never affected us....

Still some classic moments in the new Simspons...who will forget their risque take on Michael jacksons dangling the baby out the window :D "look if I flip the photos backward..i saved you!" :D

Guest MarkJDelaney

I don't think The Simpsons have ever lost it. The humour has most definately changed in the newer series, but I think it's for the good. Like someone else said, how could you possibly keep that health of humour and storylines going for so long! It's an incredible feat they've accomplished, and I simply think the newer series is a new brand/type of humour - in some episodes, I'd say I relate it to the completely arbitrary humour that is "Family Guy".

So in short, I've yet to see and episode where I think "The Simpsons have lost 'it'."

I see the Simpsons (new episodes) these days and I see: bland, watered down humour almost completely drained of wit and strucutre. The episodes themselves are just dire compared to the oldies...totally dire. The plot withers form start to finish, homers gone from being a bit of a clumsy idiot to a Lobotomy victim. Everything has changed and its all been for the worse.

Matt Groening left and simpsons went downhill badly...hence why he stopped making Futurama. He saw the plight of Simpsons after the onyl brain left and he wanted to keep his newer baby from suffering such an abomination.

I guess its my opinion but really, its fact too.

(Not Birdman)

Guest MarkJDelaney

I guess its my opinion but really' date=' its fact too.

[b'](Not Birdman)

Nah, it can't be your opinion and fact at the same time. Everyone's gonna think differently, like me for one.

The Simpsons at their peak i'd say was seasons 4-8 and those years are what make it the greatest (imo) tv show that there have ever been. I think that it is only series 12 onwards where there have been many poor episodes alhtough there is still a lot that makes me laugh. If oyu're looking for a "jumped the shark" moment then i'd have to say homer being raped be a panda :moody: . Series 12 is probaly the worst, i think that is what is being shown on friday nights on chennel 4. The worst thing about newer ones is that there seems to be such a lack of consideration for the plot, and more consideration ofr fitting in as many guest stars as possible. I know they have always had lots of guest stars, but they usually served some point. They also don't have the same level of social and political satire. Anyway at least we've got the dvd's.

Guest MarkJDelaney
... The worst thing about newer ones is that there seems to be such a lack of consideration for the plot ...

Like I said though, could you keep writing stories and plots like they used to for over 10 seasons?! I certainly couldn't. The biggest congratulations ever goes their way, even - like you said - newer episodes are purely comedy based with no "real" stories like the originals.

Guest DustyDeviada

Matt Groening left and simpsons went downhill badly...hence why he stopped making Futurama. He saw the plight of Simpsons after the onyl brain left and he wanted to keep his newer baby from suffering such an abomination.

I guess its my opinion but really' date=' its fact too.

[b'](Not Birdman)

Just not true, Futurama got cancelled by Fox, much to the chagrin of Groening.

A quick glance at the episode lists on snpp.com shows quite clearly that while seasons 4-8 were indeed the peak, there were still a few good eps in season 9, but 10 is where the rot really set in. I don't know how anybody who has seen the new episodes on Sky can defend them. They are consistently awful.

RIP Futurama :(

http://www.calgarysun.com/cgi-bin/niveau2.cgi?s=films&p=77129.html&a=1

Guest tv tanned

I haven't seen much of the new episodes so can't really comment. I think some of the writers have decided to use the show as a vehicle for social protest rather than as a comedy.

Guest DustyDeviada

I think the problem is that while Family Guy was fairly simple animation, Futurama was just about as hi-tech as could be and it had a price tag to match, over $1 million per episode I think, but I'm not certain of that.

Big DVD sales pushed Family Guy into profitability hence its return. While I understand Futurama to have big DVD sales also, they would really need to be huge to make production viable again.

I think the obviously extremely talented team that put together Futurama have all moved on to different projects now and fear it would be impossible to get them all back.

Guest tv tanned

Family Guy is amusing, but remove a couple of key elements and it becomes shite.

The Simpsons' strength was always that storylines could focus on a number of characters without losing its appeal.

Futurama was just genius, it gets better every time I watch it.

I think the Simpsons jumped the shark when every episode started to revolved around Homer and his increasingly "crazy" stunts, basically sidelining all the other characters. The Simpsons used to be a show about a family and now....most of the episodes in the later series are about Homer becoming an artist/missionary/trucker/Burn`s Buttmonkey etc. It used to be that Springfield had a flimsy grounding in reality, which allowed situations to evolve naturally. Now its about Homer doing something mad that actually makes no sense even in the context of the episode, whilst interacting with gratutious celebrity appearances shoehorned into the episode by the writers.