aberdeen-music

when will the music (industry) die ?

lepeep

and how many bands will make music for nothing?

does anyone else think that the new generation of people who expect everything for nothing will kill music ?

"need to make music" vs "need to make money" might just kill a lot of shite bands, eh...

anyone else have thoughts on downloads / "here have this lp" ?

it's not quite like making a tape anymore...

and how many bands will make music for nothing?

does anyone else think that the new generation of people who expect everything for nothing will kill music ?

"need to make music" vs "need to make money" might just kill a lot of shite bands' date=' eh...

it's not quite like making a tape anymore...[/quote']

People will still make music purely for fun but there is no guarantee that the music will be any good, the same as it is now. There is a difference between people who want to make music as a career and those who do it for fun, but there is definitely a crossover point. It is becoming increasingly more difficult to to make a living out of music, however there are ways of harnessing the new media to your advantage too. It's a lot cheaper to record now than it's ever been been and the technology is much better.

Music will continue to be innovative and i think people will continue to record for the fun of it. but there will be less chances for bands to do it as a living.

Cheers

Stuart

it's not quite like making a tape anymore...

Trouble with the download generation is that folk amass huge collections of music...I know folk with big boxes of DVD-Rs full of albums, end result with all that to get through they just skip, next track, skip, what's next, skip, skip, two second attention span, no chance to put a bit of time into any album that might need a bit of work or effort...

Trouble with the download generation is that folk amass huge collections of music...I know folk with big boxes of DVD-Rs full of albums' date=' end result with all that to get through they just skip, next track, skip, what's next, skip, skip, two second attention span, no chance to put a bit of time into any album that might need a bit of work or effort...[/quote']

Yep, I agree with that, there's many albums in my collection that are cornerstones that i wonder if i would have given so much of a chance to let it grow if I'd spent 15 on it. Albums I love such as Marillion's Brave and Mott the Hoople's Mott album all took a lot of time to grow on me, and I think that now music has to instantly grab you and hold you for it to be successfu, which is a change as sometiems things take a little longer, good things come to those who wait ;)

Cheers

Stuart

I heard a wee rumour once...that every possible combination of music with every instrument will be used by the year 2025??? Not sure this is 100% accurate ....

But if it is OMG ....we will fade out listening to Banjo's and Rolf Harris and that thingy...

I suppose that's why we have so many cover bands :band:

:rockon::rockon:

:rockon:

there will always be a new way to make music. simply because music has to remain interesting and is so open to interpretation and to people without training to make it. absolutely anyone can make music and anyone can listen to it. that means anything can be considered music so long as it has a sound and a rythym(even then, there are pieces that stretch this, such as john cage's piece of silence where the audience become the composition.)

i think people that make music to make money aren't going to do anything interesting other than fine tune a form of music that's been done before as that's a proven way to make money, giving the people what they want so to speak. if you're making music for musics sake then the chances are you're interested in doing something a little different and will strive harder to create something different leading to a more diverse and interesting music culture, yet with the chance that no one but you will like it and thus leave you skint.

the destruction of the major label record industry will level the playing field and abolish those who are interested in music demographics, consumer focus groups, stylists, marketing departments and anything that has very little to do with the creative process of writing, recording and performing a piece of music.

in the mean time though if someone gives you money to print and record a cd then you should do what you can to honour that and make sure you don't give that music away for free, in the same way that if a band give their services and travel somewhere at expense then they should be paid for fairly for it. credit where credit is due and all that.