aberdeen-music

Wages - Opinions wanted

Guest Bob Double Jack

Guest Bob Double Jack

If you agreed a fee for a gig (a verbal agreement) with a venue, played the gig and then discovered that you were not getting the fee that had been discussed for one reason or another, how would you react, and what steps would you take to rectify the situation?

I'd like to hear some venues views on this as well to even it out.

:swearing:

If you agreed a fee for a gig (a verbal agreement) with a venue' date=' played the gig and then discovered that you were not getting the fee that had been discussed for one reason or another, how would you react, and what steps would you take to rectify the situation?

:swearing:[/quote']

We had this problem with O'Donohues and just cancelled all future gigs with them and warned other people off them for future references.

Cheers

Stuart

Apparently this happened to Small Enclosed Area at Moshulu. They just sat there until they got their cash. Good on them!

Eh..... when....?

We pay all bands on the night......

If it was opening for someone then the support ands usually won't be paid until the band higher in stature is paid.

Headliner

Support

Opener(s)

That is the way it`s always been.

I don't think personally there's an excuse for spending outwith your means - if you don't know how much you're gonna be able to pay someone, then you shouldn't offer them it. I think the majority of local bands at least would be happier to be told "er, we might not be able to pay you very much" than being told "we'll pay you this", only to find out that they don't get what was promised.

The problem with verbal agreements in my opinion is that it opens both sides up for being attacked over money when the real reason might be something completely different.

Guest davetherave

If a venue wont pay me the agreed amount the words 'petrol' and 'bomb' spring to mind ;)

Before I get any backlash on that comment I was just kidding!!

In previous bands we used to try and get the agreed fee in writing (could also be email) or via an agent, that way you have a course of legal action if the venue doesnt come up with the readies.

I know very little about Law, but is a verbal agreement not binding in Scottish law?

Guest stuartmaxwell

to me playing live is fun, i dont usually care what i get paid. but those who are making a career out of it, its another issue, how the fuck do you budget for/fund petrol, van repairs, equipment repairs, capital for producing merchandise etc if you are getting much less than you expected/agreed

however if you play a show in front of 100 plus people (who are your friends/people who have been harrassed into coming along by the band) you would expect to get a healthy pay. but when the smelly promoter staggers back to you with 20 i would be raging and the words, "smack" and "chops" come to mind

there is nothing worse than promoters who are unscrupulous with money, i have heard some *shocking* stories about EP launches in one particular aberdeen venue (something along the lines of 75% full and 30 in your pocket)

Guest davetherave
to me playing live is fun' date=' i dont usually care what i get paid. but those who are making a career out of it, its another issue, how the fuck do you budget for/fund petrol, van repairs, equipment repairs, capital for producing merchandise etc if you are getting much less than you expected/agreed

QUOTE']

You forgot budgetting for beer as well ;)

Have to agree with the playing for fun part, besides with the stuff I do, I could never afford to give up the day job :D

Guest stuartmaxwell

your right, how could i forget beer, thee esential part of any band on the road :D (apart from minor threat + sXexeasE edgers)

davetherave has very cool ideas going on, it would interesting to *try* and add live drums to some of it

Yeah, we had an experience at Drakes that meant we spent more on drink than we earnt. Bit like that bit in the Blues Brothers:

Bar owner: "OK, so your fee for tonight was $200."

Belushi: "Yep"

Bar owner: "And you guys.....you guys drank $300 worth of beer"

Belushi (to Ackroyd) : "Get in the car and start her up"

never had issues in aberdeen, have been totally fucked over in dundee by the guys who do the lemuria sessions tho if anyones heard of them, tried to pay us 15 for a gig in the art bar, suffice to say got told to fuck off, didn't get anymore money out of him, but he didn't get any more gigs out of us.

any pay to play gigs amount to theft in my opinion. there is no excuse for a promoter to put on these gigs, if he doesn't think he can make his money back then he isn't booking the right bands. it's simply laziness, making sure that it doesn't matter if you do any work or not you still make your profit margin.

Guest stuartmaxwell
Yeah' date=' we had an experience at Drakes that meant we spent more on drink than we earnt. Bit like that bit in the Blues Brothers:

Bar owner: "OK, so your fee for tonight was $200."

Belushi: "Yep"

Bar owner: "And you guys.....you guys drank $300 worth of beer"

Belushi (to Ackroyd) : "Get in the car and start her up"[/quote']

like most nights in drakes for me :down:

man i miss that place

Where possible...

We (drakes) always made the point of paying as much as possible and would never take the piss! There would be times, as Bri Said, where there was simply not enough funds available (I had the cash flow at Drakes down to a fine art and could easily be juggling at Covent Garden) and therefore a verbal 'iou' was issued and nearly always accepted with a smile of understanding... I was the first to hand over more than an agreed amount if it had been a great night, to bands and promoters alike. God Damn it!!! Just figured out why we are not there anymore!!!

Paying bands is never easy though but if in doubt, to all bands, get a draft of a contract written up and use it where possible and where accepted. This should help a little in weeding out the unscrupulous venue owner. If they are happy to sign then it puts a positive light on things. Not to say they will stick to it but hey, nothing ventured nothing gained...

Problem is, if all bands followed and adhered to the Musicians Union rate of payment then they would never get any gigs! Comes with the turf of being creative I'm afraid.

cheesh that was a ramble

Jim :rockon:

If you agreed a fee for a gig (a verbal agreement) with a venue' date=' played the gig and then discovered that you were not getting the fee that had been discussed for one reason or another, how would you react, and what steps would you take to rectify the situation?

:swearing:[/quote']

you were playing the malt mill the other night no??

Surely you cant mean that place........

I always value the coolness of the venue and dont care what they can afford to pay us

Like we could do it for money anyway???

A couple bottles of cheap merlot and some crisps is all we usually ask for in advance, if someones actually nice enough to offer some cash then its a bonus

If someone has promised to pay you, they should do just that.

When Element played the Godlessfest we were promised our travelling expenses but instead we got just 20, Bit of a bummer! Enjoyed the gig though, that's what matters :cheers: