aberdeen-music

Please tell me you've all seen page three of the Evening Express...

Guest Cowboy Dan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rogue parkers have gone on a guilt trip - straight to council offices to pay their fines.

Earlier this week we revealed how one driver had racked up 123 parking tickets - and owed the city council nearly 7,000 in fines.

Now our coverage has sparked a flood of red-faced drivers to the council, offering to stump up cash they owe.

One of those motorists was Ross Morrison, a music promoter who ran up almost 900 in fines in just six months.

He works at the Moshulu nightclub on Windmill Brae and parks his car on the street.

We tracked him down last week to see his car being ticketed as we arrived.

Now, he has paid off several hundred pounds and bought a city-centre parking permit.

Former RGU student Ross, 26, said: "When I went to the council office they said lots of people had been in over the last few days.

"They had read the article in the paper and I think it really hit home for some.

"This is a widespread problem and I guess people were panicking about how much they actually owed.

"It's definitely all down to the Evening Express."

Parking fines are 20 if you pay them within 14 days, rising to 40 after that, and going up to 60 if there is a delay in payment. A spokeswoman for Aberdeen City Council said: "The parking office has noticed considerably more people coming in than usual, either to pay or to discuss the situation.

"It has acted as a reminder to a lot of people that they do have to take care of these tickets.

"The office staff are saying that it's being prompted by the Evening Express story last week."

In the past year, the city council have issued 59,204 parking tickets, which will bring in 857,353 when paid.

Do you know the identity of Aberdeen's biggest parking bandit - call us on (01224) 344150 or email ee.news@ajl.co.uk

"In the past year, the city council have issued 59,204 parking tickets, which will bring in 857,353 when paid."

Thats almost a million. Where will it go? To pay for the maintenance of parking meters, paying of traffic warden wages, paying for the overheads in the parking department (phones/reminder letters/court fees/paper for parking machines etc etc), paying bonuses to the warden with most issued tickets, paying for new meters and anti parking devices (bollards, paint etc etc...)

Maybe they'll use the money to actually sort out the parking situation in Aberdeen...although I'm sure the moronic circle loop above appeals more. The funny thing is, is that I'm pretty sure the council will take these figures into account and base their financial year around it....so if one year everyone stopped getting busted by dumb traffic wardens, they'd be up shit creek! It's like the outstanding court fine situation (and Operation Payback) whereby people are being guilt tripped into paying shit because the countries economy is suffering as a result.....so remember KEEP COMMITTING CRIME AND PAYING THE FINE, BRITAIN IS BOOMING