aberdeen-music

Observations about the scene

Hog

Guest Zeenat Aman
I thought you would have liked that? Cause i believe you are a throwback to the old days yourself philip ?!?!?! :D

Aye aye, I smell's a prod of 'yeh bas'...

That's why I gladly embrace modern technology when I/the music needs it. My input to Delicate AWOL was a throw back?

Hmmm, interesting.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye aye' date=' I smell's a prod of 'yeh bas'...

That's why I gladly embrace modern technology when I/the music needs it. My input to Delicate AWOL was a throw back?

Hmmm, interesting.[/quote']

Hey i wasnt being negative either!

You hadnt posted a reply by the time i had written the question!

I wondered why you didnt like it....cause word on the street is that your an 'old school' music man...but then you replied stating you did like it! so my confusion was cleared...

Guest Zeenat Aman
Hey i wasnt being negative either!

You hadnt posted a reply by the time i had written the question!

I wondered why you didnt like it....cause word on the street is that your an 'old school' music man...but then you replied stating you did like it! so my confusion was cleared...

Ah, but I've had some good wine you see. heheh :p

Although I do tend too prefer older music, I am also a fan of a good few more recent bands... I'm very glad to be alive in 2005. :love:

Aberdeen is very much and Indie?!? (UK Guitar music scene). Always has and always will be. You have little pockets of Sub-culture etc that will always consist of what is popular in the alternative press etc. Away from that you`ll have other scenes that don`t attract a huge amount of interest simply as they are not large enough to do so.

After all Aberdeen is a very small city miles away from popular culture and music capitals of the UK....... Usually Glasgow / Birmingham / Liverpool / Manchester and London.

Then we have the exhibition centre ha what a joke that place is' date=' why the hell they don't follow up with bands that play the glasgow secc is beyond me. Totally gutless[/quote']

There's bound to be a hell of a lot more to it than meets the eye - I know nothing about it, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they didn't want more bands playing it - plus, there's the problem that it's a lot harder to sell 7,500 tickets for the AECC than it is selling 10,000 for the SECC due to the size of the catchment areas and suchlike..

There's bound to be a hell of a lot more to it than meets the eye - I know nothing about it' date=' but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they didn't want more bands playing it - plus, there's the problem that it's a lot harder to sell 7,500 tickets for the AECC than it is selling 10,000 for the SECC due to the size of the catchment areas and suchlike..[/quote']

I think you also have to remember playing Aberdeen adds a considerable cost onto any tour, especially form the size of band that would play the exhibition centre. You have to add on the day to get up there, and then a day to get to wherever they're going if they're bringing stage gear then it a along journey from Aberdeen to the next suitably sized venue, possibly manchester or birmingham. So you'd need to be confident of a decent turnout to justify the time it woulkd take to do it, you may notice quite a few bands who play the AECC actually start their UK tour here because it cuts a day off the schedule, i believe Bryan Adams did that. You also have to remmeber theres almost 10x more people in Glasgow than aberdeen making the chances of sellout concerts there a lot higher unless its a 'radiohead' or a band of the moment type gig.

Having spoken with Ross recently about a few gigs, i know that you frequently will lose money until the last few hundred people are through the door so you need to be pretty sure you can make the numbers.

Cheers

Stuart

The aberdeen scene to me is non existent' date=' i only really want to go see a few bands every year in aberdeen. Too many bands that do play aberdeen don't challenge me enough to go and see. If only the bands that i go to see in glasgow came to aberdeen then i would be happy. The aberdeen community isn't diverse enough and is far too shallow.

This will always be the downfall of alot of bands not coming here. I really do think the aberdeen music scene is stale. Although ross has helped it a little. But who knows how long that will last for, only the aberdeen people will determine that.

So why don't alot of the bands that play glasgow and even dundee come to aberdeen?

Then we have the exhibition centre ha what a joke that place is, why the hell they don't follow

up with bands that play the glasgow secc is beyond me. Totally gutless[/quote']

The AECC doesn't book bands, they merely hire the hall to external promoters. Rarely are these promoters Scottish based, never mind Aberdeen based.

Go tell the promoters that their gutless for trying to ensure they make a profit by missing out a city(?) at the arse end of Britain.

As for Aberdeen being stale, I can't really comment on whether this is true or not, I would have to spend several months in several different cities to tell you if this was a unique Aberdeen trait or whether every local scene sucks when viewed from the inside.

There's bound to be a hell of a lot more to it than meets the eye - I know nothing about it' date=' but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they didn't want more bands playing it - plus, there's the problem that it's a lot harder to sell 7,500 tickets for the AECC than it is selling 10,000 for the SECC due to the size of the catchment areas and suchlike..[/quote']

So you don't think there is the demand?

Maybe it was miss managed the size of the venue due to the population?

The AECC doesn't book bands' date=' they merely hire the hall to external promoters. Rarely are these promoters Scottish based, never mind Aberdeen based.

Go tell the promoters that their gutless for trying to ensure they make a profit by missing out a city(?) at the arse end of Britain.[/quote']

So basically what you are saying is that aberdeen has no real music scene to endorse the size of this venue? It begs the question again why build it.

So you don't think there is the demand?

Maybe it was miss managed the size of the venue due to the population?

Considering the fact that they can host *massive* oil exhibitions now, and that's what brings in the serious money (concerts generally don't bring in a massive boost to the local economy), I'd say it was a brilliant move. The AECC might not be doing much in the way of concerts, but it's not focused on them anyway - look at their website, it's very corporate, very pro-exhibition/conference and not very pro-music.

If you thought that they built the AECC for concerts - then, you're sadly wrong.

Considering the fact that they can host *massive* oil exhibitions now' date=' and that's what brings in the serious money (concerts generally don't bring in a massive boost to the local economy), I'd say it was a brilliant move. The AECC might not be doing much in the way of concerts, but it's not focused on them anyway - look at their website, it's very corporate, very pro-exhibition/conference and not very pro-music.

If you thought that they built the AECC for concerts - then, you're sadly wrong.[/quote']

I was hoping Runestein might work that out himself.

Considering the fact that they can host *massive* oil exhibitions now' date=' and that's what brings in the serious money (concerts generally don't bring in a massive boost to the local economy), I'd say it was a brilliant move. The AECC might not be doing much in the way of concerts, but it's not focused on them anyway - look at their website, it's very corporate, very pro-exhibition/conference and not very pro-music.

If you thought that they built the AECC for concerts - then, you're sadly wrong.[/quote']

So going by your argument the centre will only be open untill the oil industry dies.

Doesn't seem like a very smart move to me. Since the oil industry will only be here for te next

30 years or so. It can't last forever you know. I certainly wouldn't pump money into something

that has that kind of life span

The AECC hosts the largest Oil Expo in the world every two years' date=' as well as the World Snooker Championships, I can't imagine that they're loosing sleep over not taking X Obscure Metal Band....[/quote']

Why target the metal genre? I am way more open minded than that........

If you knew what you were talking about that statement would never of came out.

Obscure?? Haha yet another opinion in the aberdeen music forum. I don't care for your opinion either. If you had read my earlier posts you would know that i listen to a wide range of genres. I guess that makes you look really silly ;)

Next time do your homework boy and don't try to do a real mans game :)

So going by your argument the centre will only be open untill the oil industry dies.

Doesn't seem like a very smart move to me. Since the oil industry will only be here for te next

30 years or so. It can't last forever you know. I certainly wouldn't pump money into something

that has that kind of life span

The AECC wasn't strictly built for the benifit of the oil industry, deary.... although saying that... just to have a small stand at the Offshore Europe you're talking about forking out 10k minimal... some of the larger companies shell out as much as half a million for their stands... plus staff... plus catering... plus modifications to the kit itself so that it spurts neon pink gunk... not to mention the more unusual sites such as ... I think oit was one of the american companies that paid a girl to basically roll around in a giant tank for a day dressed as a mermaid.

The AECC also hosts large dog shows, craft fairs... carboot sales... and the odd random exhibition... all of which get attended by thousands every year. So no... after the oil industry dies it will still hae a purpose.