aberdeen-music

For ANY mods!! Thats moderators!!

Guest highroller

Guest highroller

About a year ago I think or maybe less, We asked if I could moderate the Quik forum.

Now apparently it was put to the vote by all the moderators and one or two said no! hmm that lifeshade dude i reckon!!

Anyway...Aw's manager does theirs, Patrick Boo does his..you get my point!!

Id like this looked at again please because I feel that one of the band SHOULD moderate the board and myself and Craig are on it EVERYDAY without fail.

Thanks Ben

Originally posted by alex.:

sounds fair enough, all the other forums are moderated by someone with some tie to the band...

No they're not. What tie has Rico got to Point of Origin?

Though I totally agree with Ben. I didn't know this whole thing was put to a vote. Can I ask why some moderaters blocked this?

I want to moderate the Point of Origin boards, or at the very least have Stephen do it.

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

Well...Neil...whaddya say man!!??

Okay, let me explain what my rationale is for not letting bands moderate their own forums.

The forums for the local bands make up part of aberdeen-music.com and therefore I want to see them maintained and moderated in exactly the same way as all the other forums on the web site. The reason I've never allowed band members to moderate their own forums is because I believe they would abuse this right. What I can see happening if band members moderated their own forums is that they would delete posts, close topics right, left and centre if the contained any negative criticism of their band and/or band members. Maybe I'm just being cynical but I want to see balanced discussion on all the forums on this web site and so, for example, I want people to be comfortable with posting a negative review of a local band in that band's forum without fear of reprisal or censorship by the forum's moderator.

Another reason I'm not comfortable with bands moderating their own forums is that I don't believe all the band forum moderators would moderate their forums consistently with the rest of the web site and in accordance with the rules. I could see us getting into the situation where you can quite happily post abuse in one band forum but then get a similar post deleted from another band forum.

But I'm more than prepared to accept I'm wrong about this so please feel free to continue posting your thoughts on this topic and maybe you can persuade me to think otherwise.

What about if you give Ben a trial period or something?

I mean GraemeC might (not saying that he does, just an example) delete negative posts, threads. This could be due to him being the manager of Alyssa's Wish in the same way Ben might do the same for Quik, so in a way a unfair decision...

Yeah, Greame does fight AW's corner, so the biased thing's already happening there, and I dont think their forum's badly moderated! I'm not too fussed about who moderates our forum but I know that if it were one of us we would just post in the normal way when a negative thread comes up - we'd only close/delete threads if it really needed it - but no one seems to post anything that bad anyway.

Guest highroller

Yes! There was an example of this in the "Hi im Craig thread"

Someone came on and made a personal comment that wasnt relevant at all and it wasnt just calling someone a name or whatever!! I wanted it removed or closed but alas I couldnt and it was out of line!!

To be honest Neil, im 25 and you know me! Im not gonna be an asshole about it!

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7348 good example of why someone with a tie to the band should moderate the forum.

Also the ones i do are 10 easy wishes and wbl. These are in my opinion well moderated because on my msn list i have Adam from 10ew and Pete from wbl so if anything needs done they know im on alot and will do things as soon as they ask me pretty much. but as far as the point and quik forums go the mods are pretty much never on so when summit needs done it generally doesnt get done to be honest which kinda defeats the purpose of them even being tyhere really

only my opnion tho :)

Yes! There was an example of this in the "Hi im Craig thread"

Someone came on and made a personal comment that wasnt relevant at all and it wasnt just calling someone a name or whatever!! I wanted it removed or closed but alas I couldnt and it was out of line!!

To be honest Neil, im 25 and you know me! Im not gonna be an asshole about it!

I've actually had a look at this thread for this first time and I'm afraid to say Ben the response you make in that thread hardly makes you come across as very mature or rational person. This does not fill me with confidence that you would make a good forum moderator.

I'd also like to remind people that the bands that have forums here can request to have their forum moderator changed at any time. The only restriction is that they have to pick from the current team of moderators. So if they are having trouble contacting the moderator of their forum then I recommend they contact one of the other moderators and ask if they would like to moderate their forum instead.

So far, I don't think a convincing case has been put forward for bands to moderate their own forums.

Eh?? Neil?? What response didnt fill you with confidence!?

Im confused!

Ben, I was referring to the first post you made on this page:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5471&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

There isn't much point having rules that encourage people not to be offensive to one another when would-be forum moderators are going around calling people "fuckstick" is there?

I realise the comments made were regarding your girlfriend but that still does not justify your response in my book.

However, Stephen does make a very good point. There is one big exception to this rule and that is the Deadloss Superstar forum. The reason this is an exception is that the Fudge guys were moderating their own FudgeNet forum long before the Deadloss Superstar forum was created. When that forum was created it didn't seem to make much sense for Craig not to moderate it as well. But then I already knew at that point that I could trust Craig to moderate the forum fine. I can't say the same for the other bands members with forums on this web site.